I don't get the acceleration relation in this ex

In summary, the relationship between the accelerations of the two particles can be described by the equations F(t)-fk1-T1=m1a1, T1=2T2, and T2-fk2=m2a2. This is due to the pulley, which causes the particles to have the same acceleration when the rope between them is under tension. If m1 moves 1 meter, then m2 moves twice that distance, and if m1 accelerates at 1m/s^2, m2 accelerates at 2m/s^2. The reason for this is that the rope near the wall 'lengthens' the same value it 'shortens' near m2, causing m2 to move
Lenjaku

Homework Statement

find the relationship between the 2 particles' accelerations.

Homework Equations

m1=20kg
m2=40kg
wheel doesn't weigh but can move.

both particles move with friction.

μs=μk=0.2

F(t)=98e0.1t

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with 3 equations:
F(t)-fk1-T1=m1a1
T1=2T2
T2-fk2=m2a2

Why is the acceleration equation
a2=2a1?

Attachments

• ex.png
    ex.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
Lenjaku said:
Why is the acceleration equation
a2=2a1?

Due to the pulley.

If M1 moves 1 meter to the right how far does M2 move?

If M1 moves at a velocity of 1m/s to the right how fast does M2 move?

If M1 accelerates at 1m/s^2 to the right how fast does M2 accelerate?

The pulley is attached to m1. So they have to have the same acceleration when the rope between them is under tension. If the pulley moves 1 meter, then 1 meter of the m1 rope has moved on both sides of the pulley, so 2 meter of rope has gone past the pulley, so m2 moves twice as much as m1.

There is no mathematic explanation then? :( .Since the rope near the wall 'lengthens' the same value it 'shortens' near m2 while m1 keeps on going does it mean that m1 moves twice the distance m2 moves?If so it makes sense for me :S

edit:
I just noticed I mean m1 moves less than m2, m2 moves twice the distance >.<

Last edited:

I can understand your confusion with the acceleration equation in this exercise. However, the relationship between the two particles' accelerations is not simply a matter of one being twice the other. It is important to consider the forces acting on each particle and how those forces affect their accelerations.

In this situation, both particles are experiencing friction and a tension force from the wheel. The tension force is equal for both particles, but the friction force will differ due to the different masses of the particles. This means that the acceleration of each particle will also differ.

Using your equations, we can see that the acceleration of particle 1 is dependent on the friction force, while the acceleration of particle 2 is dependent on both the friction force and the tension force. Therefore, the acceleration of particle 2 will be affected by both forces, resulting in a different value than that of particle 1.

To fully understand the relationship between the accelerations of the two particles, we would need to solve the equations for each particle and then compare their values. It is not as simple as one being twice the other, as there are multiple factors at play. I suggest revisiting the equations and considering all the forces acting on each particle in order to fully understand the relationship between their accelerations.

1. What is the acceleration relation in this example?

The acceleration relation in this example refers to the relationship between an object's acceleration, velocity, and time. It is described by the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is change in velocity, and Δt is change in time.

2. Why is the acceleration relation important?

The acceleration relation is important because it allows us to calculate an object's acceleration based on its velocity and time, or vice versa. This helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in various situations.

3. How is the acceleration relation used in real life?

The acceleration relation is used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the acceleration of a car or a roller coaster, determining the time it takes for an object to reach a certain speed, and predicting the motion of projectiles.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration relation?

The acceleration relation can be affected by various factors, including the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can alter an object's acceleration and therefore change its velocity and time.

5. How can I apply the acceleration relation in my own experiments?

You can apply the acceleration relation in your own experiments by measuring the velocity and time of an object and using the equation a = Δv/Δt to calculate its acceleration. This can help you understand the relationship between these variables and make predictions about the object's motion.