Why is the speed of light different when traveling in different materials?

In summary, the speed of light is always constant in a vacuum, but it can appear to slow down when passing through different materials due to the absorption and reemission of photons and the resulting delay in transfer time through the material. This is caused by the interaction between the electric field of the light wave and the charges in the material, which creates a temporary dipole moment that opposes the electric field. As a result, the energy of the light wave is partially stored in the material and released back into the wave, causing it to slow down. This phenomenon is known as refraction and is measured by the refractive index of the material. In quantum mechanics, the photon can also be described as a superposition of oscillations in the electromagnetic
rainfvr
In my physics class, we learned that light moves slower when traveling in different materials like water or air. However, it is the fastest in a vacuum. I was wondering why this happens. I read something about a refraction index in the different materials. For example, water has a refraction index of 1.3 or something. So, the speed of light in water is technically c/1.333...;the problem is, I still don't understand WHY this happens. Any help would be really nice. Thx!

Science news on Phys.org
Isn't the speed of light a constant. Having said that if the light takes longer to pass through say glass then it must be traveling further.

Check out the FAQ;
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511177

Last edited by a moderator:
The speed of light is always C. Due to the absorption and reemission of the photon as it passes through the atoms of the material, there is a slight delay in transfer time through the material.

Edit: It is always C in a vacuum...

Last edited:
Only the speed of light in vacuum is constant.

If a wave propagates in a medium it drives the electrons to oscillate around the core. Due to this movement of charges new waves are excited at each atom site.
All the waves taken by themselves oscillate with the vacuum speed of light, however when the scattered waves interfere with the incoming wave they produce a new field pattern which also is a plane wave, but with a smaller "apparent" phase velocity.

Edit:
I just saw the reply about the FAQ entry. The FAQ answer actually is quite confusing to me, because it attributes the refractive index to a lattice response and explains something that sounds to me like Raman scattering. While this exists, it is more of a special phenomenon. Mostly the refractive index is treated as an electronic response (some keywords: drude model, lorentz model, atomic dipoles, clausius-mossotti etc). For example, the explanation that i posted can be found (together with the math) in the Feynman lectures.
Maybe i misinterpreted the FAQ answer, or maybe there is also some lattice contribution to the refractive index (not raman scattering), which i did not know about.
It would be nice if this could be clarified.

Last edited:
Classically, light is an electromagnetic wave. When the oscillating electric field goes through a dielectric material, the electric field causes the charges in the material to move, which creates a temporary dipole moment which opposes the electric field. The electric field is generated by a changing magnetic field, but because of the material, the electric field is weaker. Because of conservation of energy, the energy of polarization of the material contains the rest of the energy, and this energy is released back into the wave. But it slows down the propagation of the wave, as the light wave has to push the charges in the material around as it passes.

For dispersive media, "speed of light" is ambiguous. Do you mean the phase velocity, the group velocity, or the signal velocity of light? The phase and group velocities can exceed c, but the signal velocity is always <= c.

Quantum mechanically, the photon becomes a quantum of oscillation in the electromagnetic field superposed with oscillation in the charges in the material. A "particle" in quantum mechanics is allowed to be built out of different pieces, like Frankenstein's monster. I don't know if this means that the photon picks up a rest mass. It's beyond my ken.

1. Why is the speed of light slower in materials like water or glass?

The speed of light is slower in materials like water or glass because these materials have a higher refractive index. When light enters these materials, it interacts with the atoms and molecules, causing it to slow down. This is due to the increased density and the way light is absorbed and re-emitted by the atoms in these materials.

2. How does the speed of light in a vacuum differ from the speed of light in a material?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, while the speed of light in a material can range from 200,000,000 to 225,000,000 meters per second. This is because light travels through a vacuum without any resistance or interaction, whereas in a material, it interacts with the atoms and molecules, causing it to slow down.

3. Why does the speed of light change in different materials?

The speed of light changes in different materials because of the varying properties and composition of these materials. Each material has a different refractive index, which determines how much light is slowed down when passing through it. Additionally, the density and atomic structure of a material also play a role in how much light is slowed down.

4. Can the speed of light in a material be faster than the speed of light in a vacuum?

No, the speed of light in a material cannot be faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This means that no material can exceed the speed of light in a vacuum, which is why the speed of light in a material is always slower.

5. How does the speed of light affect the way we see objects through different materials?

The speed of light affects the way we see objects through different materials because it determines the amount of refraction that occurs. When light travels through a material with a higher refractive index, it is bent more, causing objects to appear distorted or shifted. This is why objects underwater or viewed through a glass lens may appear different than they do in air.