Earth-Shattering Discovery: Proton Size

In summary, a recent study published in Science Magazine has found that the radius of the proton is 5% smaller than previously accepted values, causing implications for our understanding of the laws of physics. This discovery has sparked interest and discussion in the scientific community and may have implications for other areas of research such as LENR. However, some argue that this is not as groundbreaking as the discovery of the quantum, but still an important refinement in our understanding.
schaefera
sciencemag.org/content/339/6118/417

How far-reaching are the implications of this? Presumably it could add support to or help disprove certain theories that predict the larger radius as compared to what was found. It's mind boggling, really. I'd have to say this is on par with the discovery of the quantum (ie photoelectric effect, double slit experiment).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the big deal with this. Could you elaborate?

Well QED and QFT aren't my area of expertise, I just found it interesting this hadn't been posted yet.

What do those theories predict as the radius of the proton? It'd be a good test of their validity.

How far-reaching are the implications of this?

I can't decipher the mumbo-jumbo in the abstract. Did they say it was anything other than the 10^-15 m I learned in college?:confused:

Ok, correction, I saw the Femtometers thing. So its 1.082 femtometers, pretty close to what I learned in high school, where's the fire?

Well it's actually the charge radius which is a full 5% below previously accepted values, that's the important thing here.

Reasonable explanation here..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...twitter&utm_campaign=RenewableEnergyHeadlines

As i understand it..

Knowing the size of the proton is important to our understanding of the laws of physics.

Two different ways of measuring it give different results.

That's allways interesting because it could be due to the way it's measured or some new physics?

Anyone care to comment if there are implication for LENR ?

schaefera said:
I'd have to say this is on par with the discovery of the quantum (ie photoelectric effect, double slit experiment).

It is not. Hate to burst your bubble. It is an important refinement of our understanding, but not to the extent that you are imagining.

Zz.

What is the "Earth-Shattering Discovery: Proton Size"?

The "Earth-Shattering Discovery: Proton Size" refers to a breakthrough discovery made by scientists at the Paul Scherrer Institute in Switzerland. They were able to measure the size of a proton, which is a subatomic particle that makes up the nucleus of an atom. This discovery has major implications for our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

Why is the size of a proton important?

The size of a proton is important because it provides insight into the fundamental forces that govern our universe. It also helps us understand the structure of atoms and how they interact with each other. Additionally, the size of a proton is a key factor in determining the mass of an atom.

How was the size of a proton measured?

The scientists at the Paul Scherrer Institute used a technique called "muonic hydrogen spectroscopy" to measure the size of a proton. This involved studying the energy levels of a muonic hydrogen atom, which is a hydrogen atom with a muon instead of an electron orbiting its nucleus. By comparing the energy levels of this atom to those of a regular hydrogen atom, they were able to determine the size of a proton.

What were the previous estimates of the proton size?

Previous experiments and theories had estimated the size of a proton to be around 0.88 femtometers (1 femtometer = 10^-15 meters). This new discovery found that the proton is actually about 4% smaller than this, with a size of 0.84 femtometers. This may seem like a small difference, but it has major implications for our understanding of the universe.

How does this discovery impact our understanding of physics?

This discovery challenges some of the current theories and models in physics, including the Standard Model of particle physics. It also raises questions about the fundamental forces and constants that govern our universe. Further research and analysis will be needed to fully understand the implications of this discovery on our understanding of physics.