I do not understand college physics at all

In summary, the student is struggling with a General College Physics class due to the hybrid structure of the class and the lack of effective teaching from the professor. They are a hands-on learner and need more guidance in order to understand complex material. They are advised to develop their self-study skills and actively practice solving exercises, and can seek help from online forums and tutors.
9mm
I'm in my second semester of my sophomore year at a community college. In my first semester, I took an Introduction to Physics class. I found it to be a little bit of a challenge, but my professor was really helpful, and with a little help, I could actually understand the material, and passed the class with an A. In my second semester, I tried to take the second part of the introduction to physics, but the classes were full, so I took a General College Physics class instead. I thought that I'd be able to handle it, but I'm having an extremely difficult time understanding the work. It's a hybrid class, so most of the work is online, and we meet in class only for labs. My professor is next to useless. He does very little actual teaching. I pretty much have to teach myself the material by reading over the chapters in the book and looking at the way the example problems are done. I may as well be trying to teach myself Chinese. Right now, I'm trying to understand a chapter on Static Equilibrium; Elasticity and Fracture. I'm pretty much just staring at some example problems, hoping that through some process of osmosis, the information will sink in. But it's not. This stuff makes no sense to me. I'm the type of learner where I need to be walked through complex material, step by step, in order to reach an understanding, I'm not able to teach this to myself. Even worse, I have a test on Friday. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Contact your old professor and see if he will help you out some. Find a campus or local tutor.

I'm the type of learner where I need to be walked through complex material, step by step, in order to reach an understanding,

This is very bad. If you take more advanced classes, then there will not be a professor anymore to help you every step of the way. Eventually you will have to learn how to self-study something. I think you have not mastered that skill yet and that causes your problem.

I'd dare to say that your last professor did you a huge disservice by walking you through the course. He should have encouraged you to be more independent.

The course you're taking now will be a lot similar to being thrown in the water. Either you learn how to swim or you drown. It's very crude, but that's the way it is.

I encourage you to learn how to self-study the material. If you understand physics if you're being spoonfed, then you'll also understand it if you study it yourself. However, you will have to put in more effort and energy.

The key to physics is making as much exercises as you can. You should make exercises until you understand it. Simply reading the solved exercises in the course is not good enough. Learning by osmosis does not work. You need to actively solve exercises.

You can always come to this forum and ask for help on your exercises (this should be done in the homework forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152 ). We will help you and give you hints, but in the end you'll need to solve it. This is the only way to learn physics.

What are the main concepts of college physics?

The main concepts of college physics include mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and quantum mechanics. Mechanics involves the study of motion, forces, and energy. Electromagnetism focuses on the relationship between electricity and magnetism. Thermodynamics deals with the transfer of heat and energy. Optics is the study of light and its properties. Quantum mechanics explores the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level.

Why is understanding college physics important?

Understanding college physics is important because it provides a foundation for many fields of science and technology. It also helps us understand the natural world and how it works. Additionally, knowledge of physics is essential for many careers, such as engineering, medicine, and research.

What are the best ways to study college physics?

The best ways to study college physics include attending lectures and taking detailed notes, practicing problems and equations, using study guides and textbooks, seeking help from professors or tutors, and participating in study groups. It is also important to regularly review material and seek clarification on any confusing concepts.

What are common challenges students face when learning college physics?

Common challenges students face when learning college physics include complex mathematical equations, abstract concepts, and a large amount of material to cover. Additionally, the pace of the course can be fast, making it difficult to keep up. It is important to seek help and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

How can I improve my understanding of college physics?

You can improve your understanding of college physics by actively engaging with the material, seeking help when needed, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to make connections between different concepts and real-life examples. Additionally, finding a study method that works best for you can greatly improve your understanding and retention of the material.