Vertical movement turning a gear

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a straight rod with gear teeth, known as a rack, to drive a gear wheel on a shaft. Various alternatives were suggested, such as using a crank, a tape or cord on a drum, or a stepped rubber belt with an idler gear. The idea of using a series of clutches was also mentioned, but deemed to be complicated. The conversation then turned to the idea of connecting a generator to the shaft, which could potentially be complicated due to the generator's need for constant driving. A book on mechanical design was recommended for further inspiration.
abdo799
i am still newbie , i don't even know if this question should go here or not , but i will ask it anyway.
I have a rod that moves vertically , i need use this rod to make a shaft turn. So i had an idea, what if i made this rod toothed and make it move a gear as it goes up , will that work?
if no , why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A straight rod with gear teeth is called a rack. It could drive a gear wheel on a shaft but would need to be held in contact with the gear.
Depending on the rotation angle required an alternative could be to use a crank.
Also consider a tape or cord on a drum. Maybe with an idler.
I would consider a stepped rubber belt running over a stepped pulley on the shaft, with an idler gear.

Baluncore said:
A straight rod with gear teeth is called a rack. It could drive a gear wheel on a shaft but would need to be held in contact with the gear.
Depending on the rotation angle required an alternative could be to use a crank.
Also consider a tape or cord on a drum. Maybe with an idler.
I would consider a stepped rubber belt running over a stepped pulley on the shaft, with an idler gear.

I am still in high school , so if you can give a site or a book or something so I can know what's an idler , crank and all those things , that would be appreciated

I checked what a crank means , I don't think I need it , I just need to make the shaft turn , later it will turn a wheel , another thing , if the rod moves up the gear will turn anti-clockwise if it moves downwards, the gear will turn clockwise , is there anything I could to make the shaft turn in one direction in both cases ( the shaft doesn't have to be connected to the main gear )

If you have two parallel racks joined and driven from one end, but with the racks on different sides of the gear, then the direction of rotation will be decided by which rack you engage with the gear. To travel continuously in one direction you must alternate between racks as they reciprocate.

A ratchet. Movement in one direction, but only in a single stroke. Would be notchy, but could be butchered from an old bicycle.

Or

Sprag clutch. Movement in one direction, again only on one stroke, and you can keep a rack constantly engaged.

@baluncore, your idea could work, but i can't use more than one rack
@xxchrisxx, what i meant is not that i want the gear to move in only one way , i meant if you know a combination of gears or something that can make a shaft turn in same direction despite of the movement of the rack, like a motor piston ( i know it works differently than a rack ) i moves up and down , but the wheel turns in one direction

abdo799 said:
@baluncore, your idea could work, but i can't use more than one rack
@xxchrisxx, what i meant is not that i want the gear to move in only one way , i meant if you know a combination of gears or something that can make a shaft turn in same direction despite of the movement of the rack, like a motor piston ( i know it works differently than a rack ) i moves up and down , but the wheel turns in one direction

I'm fairly sure you can do it with a series of clutches, but it'll be a total nightmare to set up so it doesn't jam.

But if you really want a smooth input, with the linear input driving in both directions.

VVVVVVVVV

I checked what a crank means , I don't think I need it

You'll need a crank.

This mechanism is basically a crank slider.
The problem with a crank is, you need to start it spinning the way you want and keep the momentum up. If not it'll jam at the top or the bottom, or go the wrong way.

Think a Railway Handcar.

xxChrisxx said:
I'm fairly sure you can do it with a series of clutches, but it'll be a total nightmare to set up so it doesn't jam.

But if you really want a smooth input, with the linear input driving in both directions.

VVVVVVVVV

I am going to connect a generator to the shaft, maybe if this going to be complicated , maybe it won't matter , the generator produces AC anyway , right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
arunsjunk said:
Perhaps the following book could be an inspiration:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1603863117/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Instead of the rack and pinion described earlier, you can get uniform circular motion from a modified pinion. Here's a video of the design:

thanks, if you know any other book about mechanical design please tell me it's name ( preferred to be a book for newbies and not advanced )

Last edited by a moderator:
this cute animated picture I enjoyed this thread so much that I want to add the first thing that came to my mind: Hey, these early steam engine fellows had the same problem !

Also a little bit because I wondered how it could be that this thread went off to pretty complicated stuff (lots of wear, etc.)

Re the AC generator: yes they produce AC (DC with a commutator or with a rectifier circuit). But they like some constant driving. A rack up and down might not be ideal, if the up and down is a sine.

1. How does vertical movement affect the turning of a gear?

Vertical movement can affect the turning of a gear in several ways. If the gear is mounted vertically, the vertical movement can cause the gear to turn in the opposite direction of the movement. This is known as reverse rotation. Additionally, the amount of vertical movement can impact the speed and torque of the gear's rotation.

2. What is the purpose of vertical movement in turning a gear?

Vertical movement can serve several purposes in turning a gear. It can be used to engage or disengage the gear from other gears or mechanisms. It can also help to control the speed and direction of the gear's rotation. In some cases, vertical movement may be necessary to allow for maintenance or repair of the gear.

3. How is vertical movement achieved in a gear mechanism?

Vertical movement in a gear mechanism is typically achieved through the use of a linear actuator or a cam mechanism. A linear actuator is a device that converts rotational motion into linear motion, allowing for precise control of the vertical movement. A cam mechanism uses a rotating cam to lift or lower the gear, depending on its design.

4. Can vertical movement be used to adjust the position of a gear?

Yes, vertical movement can be used to adjust the position of a gear. This is often seen in gearboxes, where gears can be shifted vertically to engage different gears and change the gear ratio. Vertical movement can also be used to fine-tune the positioning of a gear for optimal performance.

5. Are there any potential issues with vertical movement in gear mechanisms?

One potential issue with vertical movement in gear mechanisms is the introduction of backlash. Backlash is the amount of free movement between gears, which can cause the gears to move slightly before engaging with each other. This can result in inaccuracies in the gear's rotation and affect the overall performance of the mechanism.