Design of a machine/ machine component

In summary, the speaker has an assignment to design a machine component using the principles learned in their Machine Design course. They are looking for ideas for a non-automobile related component, such as a trailer, hand-guided forklift, or excavator bucket.
kini.Amith
I have an assignment for which I have to design a machine component (or structure) of my choice after estimating the loads that may arise on normal use. We are expected to use the things we have learned in our Machine Design course like design of clutches, brakes, shafts,couplings,power screws, bolted and riveted joints, gears, belt drives, chain drives etc.
The only thing that comes to my mind are automobile related components like automobile transmission, but these ideas will be common amongst my mates.
Can you please suggest some ideas for a component, preferably non automobile?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kini.Amith said:
I have an assignment for which I have to design a machine component (or structure) of my choice after estimating the loads that may arise on normal use. We are expected to use the things we have learned in our Machine Design course like design of clutches, brakes, shafts,couplings,power screws, bolted and riveted joints, gears, belt drives, chain drives etc.
The only thing that comes to my mind are automobile related components like automobile transmission, but these ideas will be common amongst my mates.
Can you please suggest some ideas for a component, preferably non automobile?

Maybe some sort of trailer? It could include a winch for some purpose, or it could have a tilting back mechanism like a dump truck...

You could make a hand-guided forklift thing, and use battery power to move it...

how about an excavator bucket?

Thanks. Will look into it.

1. What is the purpose of designing a machine or machine component?

The purpose of designing a machine or machine component is to create a functional and efficient tool that can perform a specific task or function. Machines are designed to make our lives easier by automating tasks and increasing productivity.

2. What factors are considered in the design of a machine or machine component?

When designing a machine or machine component, factors such as the intended purpose, materials, size, shape, and cost are all taken into account. Other considerations include safety, ease of use, and maintenance requirements.

3. What are the steps involved in the design process of a machine or machine component?

The design process typically involves the following steps: research and concept development, preliminary design, detailed design, prototype development and testing, and final design and production. Each step involves multiple iterations and revisions to ensure the final product is functional and meets all design requirements.

4. How is the performance of a machine or machine component evaluated?

The performance of a machine or machine component can be evaluated through various methods such as testing, simulation, and analysis. Testing involves physically running the machine and measuring its performance, while simulation and analysis use computer software to predict how the machine will perform under different conditions.

5. How does the design of a machine or machine component impact its efficiency and effectiveness?

The design of a machine or machine component plays a crucial role in its efficiency and effectiveness. A well-designed machine will have optimized components and mechanisms that work together seamlessly to perform its intended function. This results in improved efficiency and effectiveness, reducing the time and resources needed to complete a task.