Controlling linear actuators

• Thread starter jimminy121212
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary: There are a number of ways to do it. You could use a toggle switch to control the actuator in each direction, or use a momentary switch to extend it to its limit and stop. You could also use a switch to control the power to the actuator.
jimminy121212
I have never used a linear actuator before so I'm looking for a little help in applying one to my project.

The question is in how to control them the way I would like. Everything seem to require you toggle and hold a switch to operate in each direction. And if you keep holding it, it'll just keep trying to move.

I would like to be able to just use a momentary switch, have it extend to it's limit, stop and then wait until I push the button again to retract. It would be nice if it could be made to stop in the middle with the button, or stop if it got jammed up or obstructed.

This is nothing more than every garage door opener can do, so it must not be impossible or require an SGI to handle, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming a DC motor...
There needs to be a limit switch at each end of the travel that prevents current to the motor.
Each limit switch will have a diode across it so the motor can move away again.
There will be two relays, they self latch when an up or down button is pressed.
They drop when a stop button is pressed or a limit switch is reached.

Thanks for the response.

Are the limit switches you refer to typically built into the actuator itself? I know very little about these things and there seem to be a great number of them available, and I would be surprised if it wasn't common to have these fairly basic options built right in. I can't imagine everyone wants to stand around holding a switch every time they move the thing.

It would be really easy to make my own travel stop switches on either end of travel that get triggered at the start and stop positions. I guess it would have to reverse polarity for the next action, but all this is so basic I can't help but think there must be something available off the shelf. I'm just hoping someone knows where to find it.

Thanks

jimminy121212 said:
, and I would be surprised if it wasn't common to have these fairly basic options built right in.
You must check the details, or you will be surprised. Never assume anything when buying on the internet.

Safety is important in any design. Do you have a good insurance policy?

Er, what is it I should be concerned about with regard to safety??

That is the question you should be asking yourself at every step of your design.

Anything that moves under power should have safety switches that will prevent injury to people or damage to the equipment.

Noted, thanks.

I guess that takes us back to the original question, which is, how to achieve this using actuators.

1. How do linear actuators work?

Linear actuators work by converting rotational motion into linear motion. This is achieved through the use of a motor, a screw or belt mechanism, and a lead screw or ball screw to convert the rotation of the motor into linear movement of the actuator rod.

2. What are the main uses for linear actuators?

Linear actuators have a wide range of uses, including in robotics, industrial automation, medical equipment, and home automation. They are often used in applications where precise and controlled linear movement is needed.

3. How are linear actuators controlled?

Linear actuators can be controlled using a variety of methods, such as manual switches, potentiometers, or sensors. They can also be controlled remotely through the use of electronic control systems, such as PLCs or microcontrollers.

4. What are the different types of linear actuators?

There are several types of linear actuators, including electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic. Electric linear actuators are the most common and use an electric motor to drive the linear motion. Hydraulic and pneumatic actuators use pressurized fluids or gases to create movement.

5. How do I choose the right linear actuator for my application?

Choosing the right linear actuator depends on several factors, such as the required speed, force, and stroke length. It is also important to consider the environmental conditions and any specific requirements for the application. Consulting with a supplier or engineer can help determine the best type and size of actuator for your needs.