Could i use electromagnets to increase the strength of a high speed

In summary, the idea of using magnets on the outside and inside of a flywheel to create greater resistance on its rotation is theoretically feasible. However, the practical implementation may face challenges such as additional losses in the system and variations in force due to the uneven gap between the magnets. Overall, it could be a complex problem to model the rotordynamics of such a system.
Webbd050
Flywheel? I don't know much about magnets, but if i used magnets on the out side of a flywheel and the inside of the flywheel caseing which repel each other effectively crushing the flywheel to oppose centrifugal forces. Would this creat greater resistance on the rotation of the flywheel? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
In principle, I think it could work. In reality, however, you get all sort of additional losses in the system, and I doubt the gain would be notable. The edges of flywheels easily reach accelerations of the order of thousands of g, the magnets would have to be extremely strong to give a significant fraction of the corresponding forces.

Since the magnetic force will depend on the gap between the two sets of magnets, I would expect the unwanted variations in force (because in real life the gap will not perfectly uniform) would create worse problems than the one you are trying to solve.

Modeling the rotordynamics of a system like that could be an "interesting" problem though.

1. How do electromagnets increase the strength of a high speed?

Electromagnets can increase the strength of a high speed by creating a magnetic field that interacts with the moving object. This interaction can either repel or attract the object, depending on the polarity of the magnets. By manipulating the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed and force of the object can be increased.

2. What types of high speeds can be increased with electromagnets?

Electromagnets can be used to increase the speed of any moving object that contains metal or is capable of conducting electricity. This includes trains, roller coasters, motors, and generators.

3. How are electromagnets different from permanent magnets in terms of increasing speed?

Unlike permanent magnets, electromagnets can be turned on and off, allowing for greater control over the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This makes them more versatile for increasing the speed of high speeds as the strength can be adjusted as needed.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using electromagnets to increase speed?

One potential drawback is the energy consumption of electromagnets. They require a constant flow of electricity to maintain the magnetic field, which can be costly and may not be feasible for all applications. Additionally, controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be complex and may require advanced technology.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using electromagnets to increase speed?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when using electromagnets to increase speed. The strong magnetic fields can interfere with electronic devices and pacemakers, so caution must be taken in their use. Additionally, if not properly secured, the moving object could become a projectile and cause harm to individuals nearby.