Derivation of Noether currents under Lorentz Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding explicit derivations for a massless real scalar and for the EM field. It is suggested to look at the Noether current for Lorentz transformations, with the result current being the Energy Momentum tensor. The conversation also mentions the rank of the associated current and the use of PDF for further information.
bagherihan
Is there anywhere I can see the explicit derivation for a massless real scalar and for the EM field?
thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you actually mean?
You can always try to find the Noether current for Lorentz transformations in both cases...The result current I think is the Energy Momentum tensor...

I mean for example that I saw that for the scalar field it is :
[tex]
j^{μσμ} = x^ρT^{\mu \sigma} - x^σT^{\mu ρ}
[/tex]
I don't know how to get there, so I'd like to see the full derivation.

ChrisVer said:
What do you actually mean?
You can always try to find the Noether current for Lorentz transformations in both cases...The result current I think is the Energy Momentum tensor...

The energy momentum tensor is the translation current. The current associated with Lorentz transformations is the rank-3 moment tensor. As a rule, when the parameter of the transformation carry n space-time indices, the associated current is a rank (n+1) tensor.

bagherihan said:
I mean for example that I saw that for the scalar field it is :
[tex]
j^{μσμ} = x^ρT^{\mu \sigma} - x^σT^{\mu ρ}
[/tex]
I don't know how to get there, so I'd like to see the full derivation.

You find it in PDF below. The work is about Noether theorem. I have not finished it yet, I will try (if time allows me) to finish it in the next 2 to 3 weeks

Attachments

• Noether Theore1.pdf
    344.7 KB · Views: 1,158

1. What is the significance of Noether currents under Lorentz Transformation?

The Noether currents under Lorentz Transformation are significant because they represent the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and angular momentum in special relativity. These currents provide a way to mathematically describe the transformation properties of physical quantities under Lorentz transformations, which are crucial for understanding the symmetries of the laws of physics.

2. How are Noether currents derived under Lorentz Transformation?

The derivation of Noether currents under Lorentz Transformation involves using the Noether theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a conserved quantity. In this case, the symmetry is the invariance of the laws of physics under Lorentz transformations. By applying the theorem to the Lagrangian of the system, we can obtain the Noether currents.

3. What is the role of tensors in the derivation of Noether currents?

Tensors play a crucial role in the derivation of Noether currents under Lorentz Transformation, as they are used to represent the transformation properties of physical quantities. In special relativity, tensors are used to describe how physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, change under Lorentz transformations. By using tensors, we can obtain the Noether currents in a covariant and consistent manner.

4. Can Noether currents be derived for any physical system?

Yes, Noether currents can be derived for any physical system that exhibits symmetry under Lorentz transformations. This includes classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum field theory. However, the specific form of the Noether currents may vary depending on the system and the symmetries present.

5. What are the implications of Noether currents for modern physics?

The Noether currents under Lorentz Transformation have many implications for modern physics, particularly in the fields of special relativity and quantum field theory. These currents provide a deep understanding of the symmetries of physical laws and allow us to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. They also have applications in particle physics, where they are used to study the conservation of energy and momentum in subatomic interactions.