What is the average transition time for a nucleon between protons and neutrons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the average time a nucleon spends as either a proton or a neutron before switching to the other. It is noted that this may not make sense, but a rough estimate can be made based on the characteristic time of nuclear interactions. The participant also mentions a previous misunderstanding about the stability of neutrons in the nucleus and the characteristic time for neutron to proton transitions. However, this was later corrected after further thought and sleep.
gildomar
I know that the nucleus can be considered a bunch of particles that constantly transition between protons and neutrons due to exchange. Given that, is it meaningful to talk about the "average" time that a nucleon spends as either a proton or a neutron before switching to the other? Or is that a non sequitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
That does not make sense, but you can still give a rough typical timescale for processes in the nucleus, corresponding to ##\hbar## divided by the binding energy of a nucleon.

I am not sure, but I learned during my undergrad that the neutron is stable in the nucleus because it transforms to proton with pions before having the time to beta decay.
HOWEVER here I learned this is nonsense of an explanation and I even got a red ticket for posting a source... and now that I think of it, it's really nonsense because- then - there would be no beta decays for any nucleus...

But in general the characteristic time for a neutron to proton transisition is supposed to be the characteristic time of nuclear interactions... you can find that "characteristic" time only by seeing how much does it take for a photon to pass through a nucleus (so how much fast is the fastest interaction within the nucleus). That's by taking:
[itex]t_{ch} \propto \frac{1 fm}{c} [/itex]
where 1fm is around the radius of the nucleus...

Yeah, sorry about that; it was late and I really misinterpreted something that I had read. I realized how backwards it was after I actually slept on the matter.

1. What is nucleon transition time?

Nucleon transition time refers to the amount of time it takes for a nucleon (proton or neutron) to change from one energy state to another within an atomic nucleus.

2. Why is nucleon transition time important?

Nucleon transition time is important because it affects the stability and properties of atomic nuclei, which in turn impacts the behavior of atoms and molecules.

3. How is nucleon transition time measured?

Nucleon transition time is typically measured using advanced techniques such as nuclear spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the energies and wavelengths of photons emitted during nucleon transitions.

4. What factors can affect nucleon transition time?

Nucleon transition time can be affected by the type and number of nucleons in a nucleus, as well as the presence of external forces such as temperature and radiation.

5. How does nucleon transition time relate to nuclear reactions?

Nucleon transition time is a crucial factor in nuclear reactions, as it determines the rate at which nucleons can be added or removed from a nucleus, leading to changes in the composition and stability of the nucleus.