RIP James Garner (1928-2014)

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary: James Garner:In summary, actor James Garner, known for his roles on "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files," has passed away at age 86 from natural causes. He was a beloved actor who received the highest honor of the Screen Actors Guild in 2004. He was also known for his commitment to civil rights and political activism, as seen in his participation in the March on Washington in 1963. He will be remembered for his rugged charm and portrayal of antiheroes in Hollywood.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Actor James Garner, best known for his prime-time television roles as the wisecracking frontier gambler on "Maverick" and as an ex-con turned private eye on "The Rockford Files," has died at age 86, Los Angeles police confirmed early on Sunday.

Garner, who built a six-decade career playing ruggedly charming, good-natured anti-heroes and received the highest honor of the Screen Actors Guild in 2004, was found dead from natural causes on Saturday night at his Los Angeles home, according to police.
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/actor-james-garner-86-found-dead-los-angeles-112007904.html
He is one of my favorite actors, and some of my favorite movies are "Support Your Local Sheriff!" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter!"

He is an archtype antihero. :approve:

When actor James Garner decided to help organize and attend the March on Washington in 1963, he wasn’t just listening to his conscience. He and other actors who attended may have been embarking on Hollywood’s first large-scale political act since the days of McCarthyism and Hollywood’s anti-Communist blacklist.

After years of viewing the government with suspicion, many felt emboldened to participate, joining forces with black actors such as Harry Belafonte, Ruby Dee and Diahann Carroll. Garner and other celebrities in attendance, including Paul Newman and Marlon Brando, openly defied J. Edgar Hoover and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which was keen to stop the march.
. . .
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tment-to-civil-rights-and-political-activism/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quite a long history of acting. I know him but can't remember the last time I saw him in a role.

Astronuc said:
He is one of my favorite actors, and some of my favorite movies are "Support Your Local Sheriff!" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter!"

Me too ! I love that scene in one of them when he sticks his finger in the bad guy's gun barrel and dares him to pull the trigger.

RIP

What is the cause of James Garner's death?

James Garner passed away due to natural causes on July 19, 2014 at the age of 86.

What are some of James Garner's most famous roles?

James Garner was best known for his roles in the TV series "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files", as well as his appearances in films such as "The Great Escape", "Victor Victoria", and "Murphy's Romance".

Was James Garner married?

Yes, James Garner was married to Lois Clarke for 58 years until his passing. They had one daughter together.

Did James Garner receive any awards for his work?

Yes, James Garner received numerous awards and nominations throughout his career, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Television Series for "The Rockford Files" and a Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005.

What is James Garner's legacy?

James Garner is remembered as a talented and versatile actor who brought charm, wit, and authenticity to his roles. He also served in the United States Army during the Korean War and was a lifelong advocate for Native American rights.