Science/Physics based good reads

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
In summary, the author recommends the following three books for someone interested in learning more about science: "The Elegant Universe", "The Hidden Reality" and "QED".
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Hey all,

I am going to be commuting quite a lot soon here and was looking to up my arsenal of science books to read (enjoyably).

I've read books by Carl Sagan recently and have loved them. Books like a Mathematicians Apology by G.H. Hardy were also great.

I guess, I am looking for some popular science books that will teach me a thing or two, while still being enjoyable, while I commute to school.

Any suggestions/links is welcome. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Springer Handbook of Spacetime Hardcover – July 7, 2014
by Abhay Ashtekar (Editor), Vesselin Petkov.. I haven't read this book yet.

or his older book.
100 Years of Relativity: Space-time Structure Einstein And Beyond.. My personal fav. Scarlet eyes.^^

Likes 1 person
RJLiberator said:
Hey all,

I am going to be commuting quite a lot soon here and was looking to up my arsenal of science books to read (enjoyably).

I've read books by Carl Sagan recently and have loved them. Books like a Mathematicians Apology by G.H. Hardy were also great.

I guess, I am looking for some popular science books that will teach me a thing or two, while still being enjoyable, while I commute to school.

Any suggestions/links is welcome. :D

The Elegant Universe and The Hidden Reality, by Brian Greene are very enjoyable for me.

Six Easy Pieces, Six Not So Easy Pieces, and QED by Feynman are also good.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I appreciate it. I have read "The Elegant Universe" and it was a fantastic read. I may need to check out The Hidden Reality to top it off.

julcab, I will do research on your books as soon as I have a moment.

Keep 'em coming PF. :D

'Quantum Physics' Alastair I.M. Rae (Beginners Guides).so far i am enjoying.

it Opens Computer Scientist's Mind.

Soul of the Night by Chet Raymo
(like Sagan, Raymo makes the universe soulful)

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

A few of my favorites (That I need to read again);

Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
Mining the Sky by John S. Lewis
Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip S. Thorne
Q is for Quantum by John Gribbin (Encyclopedia)
The Great Scientists by John Farndon

You can't go wrong with QED by Feynman and The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. Also, I thought The Cosmic Landscape by Leonard Susskind was a good read.

I was trying to find a good book about Werner Heisenberg (a biography) and this one seemed to be good enough but it's not available in the bookstores I normally buy from..
I think it has been discontinued? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also up for biographies of other scientists or perhaps books about the Manhattan project..

DataGG said:
I was trying to find a good book about Werner Heisenberg (a biography) and this one seemed to be good enough but it's not available in the bookstores I normally buy from..
I think it has been discontinued? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also up for biographies of other scientists or perhaps books about the Manhattan project..

I use a website called alibris for finding second hand books and textbooks.

Have you read "Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman!" by Ralph Leighton?

It's not so much a biography, but an account of some of the things Feynman got up to whilst working on the Manhattan project, teaching in Brazil, etc.

It is highly entertaining, but very informal.

BOAS said:
I use a website called alibris for finding second hand books and textbooks.

Have you read "Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman!" by Ralph Leighton?

It's not so much a biography, but an account of some of the things Feynman got up to whilst working on the Manhattan project, teaching in Brazil, etc.

It is highly entertaining, but very informal.

Hello BOAS,

Thank you for the suggestion. I've read both "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" and "Not always joking Mr. Feynman". I also have his QED book but I haven't read that one just yet.

If you liked Mathematician's Apology you might like The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt, which is a well written fictionalized account of Hardy's dealings with the peculiar Indian math genius, Ramanujan.

1. What are some popular physics-based books for non-scientists?

Some popular physics-based books for non-scientists include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Hidden Reality" by Leonard Susskind.

2. Are there any science fiction books that are based on real physics concepts?

Yes, there are many science fiction books that incorporate real physics concepts, such as "The Three-Body Problem" by Liu Cixin and "Contact" by Carl Sagan.

3. Can you recommend any books that explain complex physics concepts in an easy-to-understand way?

Some recommended books for explaining complex physics concepts in a simple way include "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking and "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku.

4. Are there any physics-based books that are suitable for children?

Yes, there are several physics-based books written for children, including "The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip" by Joanna Cole and "George's Secret Key to the Universe" by Lucy and Stephen Hawking.

5. Are there any recent popular science books that focus specifically on physics?

Some recent popular science books that focus on physics include "Reality is Not What It Seems" by Carlo Rovelli and "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli.