What is the trajectory of a ball thrown from a building?

In summary, the author is working on a problem and doesn't have a solutions manual. They have solved 2 parts of the problem and are just getting to the last 2. They are having trouble with a question about the velocity of the ball just before it hits the ground and the total time the ball is in the air. The answer is that you need only x = ½gt^2 and after that v = at.
Eiano
Hello!

I've been working on this problem for a while and our book doesn't have a solutions manual. It has 4 parts to it and I've solved 2 already, (I think) and the last 2 are just getting to me.

-A ball is thrown from the top of a building and is given an initial velocity of 30 m.s upward. The building is 60M high.

1). Determine the time needed for the stone to reach its max height
vf=at+vi
-30=-10t, t=3

2). Maximum height?
d= .5AT^s +viT
.5(-10)(3)^2+30(3)
= -5(9)+ 90
=15M

Velocity of the ball just before it hits the ground and the total time the ball is in the air?

What i did was
x=voT +.5AT^2 and solved for T but that can't be right because the answer i get is less that 7 seconds, and question following this says find the velocity and position at 7 sec. so it has to be AT LEAST 7 sec.

then i substituted that t for v=vo+at. so really, the 4th question is not the problem it's the 3rd.

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Eiano said:
Velocity of the ball just before it hits the ground and the total time the ball is in the air?

What i did was
x=voT +.5AT^2 and solved for T but that can't be right because the answer i get is less that 7 seconds, and question following this says find the velocity and position at 7 sec. so it has to be AT LEAST 7 sec.

then i substituted that t for v=vo+at. so really, the 4th question is not the problem it's the 3rd.

Why do you have voT? vo is supposed to be zero (this is the velocity in the beginning).
So you need only x = ½gt^2 and after that v = at.

(Or you can use conservation of mechanical energy mgh = ½mv^2).

KingOfTwilight said:
Why do you have voT? vo is supposed to be zero.
So you need only x = ½gt^2.

isnt Vo the initial velocity which is 30 m/s?

Eiano said:
isnt Vo the initial velocity which is 30 m/s?

I shouldn't be doing this in the night... I'm making mistakes all the time, sorry.
You know the time to go to the max height. Then you can calculate the time to drop from that height to the ground and use the knowledge in my 1st post.

EDIT:

After clearing my mind: yes you can use the one below too.
Check the answer by doing the both approaches.

Last edited:
KingOfTwilight said:
Oh, sorry, yes it is. So, you will have to use x = x0 + v0T + ½aT^2.
x0 is the height of the building.

ahh i forgot the x0, you are right, thank you!

KingOfTwilight said:
I shouldn't be doing this in the night... I'm making mistakes all the time, sorry.
You know the time to go to the max height. Then you can calculate the time to drop from that height to the ground and use the knowledge in my 1st post.

EDIT:

After clearing my mind: yes you can use the one below too.
Check the answer by doing the both approaches.

it's okay! at least there was someone out there to help me. again, i appreciate it!
Thanks. :)

1. How high is the building from which the ball is thrown?

The height of the building from which the ball is thrown can vary, but it is usually measured in either feet or meters.

2. How fast is the ball thrown from the building?

The speed at which the ball is thrown from the building depends on the strength and technique of the person throwing it. It can range from a few miles per hour to over 100 miles per hour.

3. How far will the ball travel before hitting the ground?

The distance the ball travels before hitting the ground depends on several factors, such as the height of the building, the angle at which the ball is thrown, and air resistance. It can range from a few feet to several hundred feet.

4. What happens to the ball as it falls from the building?

As the ball falls from the building, it will experience a downward force due to gravity. It will also experience air resistance, which will slow it down as it falls. The ball will accelerate towards the ground until it reaches its terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed it can reach due to air resistance.

5. How can the trajectory of the ball be calculated?

The trajectory of the ball can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the initial speed and angle at which the ball is thrown, as well as the effects of gravity and air resistance. Advanced mathematical models can also be used to predict the trajectory more accurately.