Question About Cards: Find Probability of Guessing 0, 2, or 4 Right

• Thread starter Alexsandro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of guessing all four cards correctly when there are two red and two black cards. There are two possible interpretations of "guess all four at random," one being that each card is guessed independently with a 50/50 chance and the other being that two cards are guessed as red and two as black. The probability for getting 0, 2, or 4 cards correct is discussed for both interpretations.
Alexsandro
Hello, I tried to model and answer this question, but I didn't get success. Could someone help me ?

You are told that of the four cards face down on the table, two are red and two are black. If you guess all four at random, what is the probability that you get 0, 2, 4 right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexsandro said:
You are told that of the four cards face down on the table, two are red and two are black. If you guess all four at random, what is the probability that you get 0, 2, 4 right ?

I don't like this problem because it seems to me that it is worded in a manner that would allow it to have more than one solution.

(a) Suppose that by "guess all four at random" it means that you will guess each one independently with 50% red and 50% black. In this case, the fact that 2 of the cards are red and 2 are black doesn't matter. The probabilities for 0, 2 and 4 come from the binomial distribution and are

[tex](.5)^4\left(\begin{array}{c}4 \\ 0\end{array}\right)=\frac{1}{16}[/tex]

[tex](.5)^4\left(\begin{array}{c}4 \\ 2\end{array}\right)=\frac{6}{16}[/tex]

[tex](.5)^4\left(\begin{array}{c}4 \\ 4\end{array}\right)=\frac{1}{16}[/tex]

(b) Suppose that "guess all 4 at random" means to pick 2 and guess red, and guess black for the other two. Then your guesses are not independent. In this case, you may as well assume that you guess the first two red and the second two black. The probability that you get 0, 2 and 4 right are then:

[tex]\frac{2}{4}\frac{1}{3} = \frac{1}{6}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4}{4}\frac{2}{3} = \frac{2}{3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{4}\frac{1}{3} = \frac{1}{6}[/tex]

If I were forced to grade this problem, I'd have to mark either of the above correct.

Carl

The probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right is dependent on the number of cards that you guess correctly out of the four cards on the table. If you guess all four cards randomly, there are a total of 16 possible outcomes (2x2x2x2). Out of these 16 possible outcomes, there are 6 ways to get 0 cards right (all red or all black), 6 ways to get 2 cards right (2 red and 2 black in any order), and 4 ways to get all 4 cards right (one possible combination of red and black). Therefore, the total probability of getting 0, 2, or 4 cards right is (6+6+4)/16, which equals 16/16 or 1. This means that there is a 100% chance of getting 0, 2, or 4 cards right if you guess all four cards randomly.

1. What is the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right out of a deck of cards?

The probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right out of a deck of cards is 1/3. This is because there are only three possible outcomes when guessing out of a deck of cards - getting all 0, 2, or 4 right. Therefore, the probability is 1 divided by the total number of possible outcomes, which is 3.

2. How does the number of cards in the deck affect the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right?

The number of cards in the deck does not affect the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right. As long as there are three possible outcomes - 0, 2, or 4 - the probability will always be 1/3.

3. Is it possible to increase the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right by using a certain strategy?

No, it is not possible to increase the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right by using a certain strategy. Each card in the deck has an equal chance of being drawn, so there is no strategy that can change the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right.

4. How does the order in which the cards are drawn affect the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right?

The order in which the cards are drawn does not affect the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right. As long as there are three possible outcomes and each card has an equal chance of being drawn, the probability remains 1/3.

5. Can the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right be greater than 1?

No, the probability of guessing 0, 2, or 4 right cannot be greater than 1. Probability is a number between 0 and 1, representing the likelihood of an event occurring. Therefore, it is impossible for the probability to be greater than 1.