Thermodynamics problem; App of 1st law, work, adiabatic processes, and enthelpy

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the relationship between the partial derivative (given as a partial, but notated as a lowercase delta) and the expansivity coefficient. The equations shown are used to demonstrate this relationship, with the understanding that pressure is constant. The conversation concludes by suggesting to start with the equation h = u + pv and differentiating it with respect to temperature at constant pressure, using the definition of c_p to find the desired relationship.
ChronicQuantumAddict
The question is as follows:

the partial derivative (given as a partial, but i don't know the notation, so letter d is really little delta for the partial)

(du/dT)p = Cp - P(Beta)v​

where Beta = expansivity coefficient = 1/v (dv/dT)p

again, all the "d's" are lowercase delta's for the partial derrivatives, and the "p's" next to the partials and the one with the Cp are to signify that pressure is constant.

I know i need to start with enthalpy, dh, but I am pretty much stuck. if someone would point me in the right direction i would be much obliged. thanks :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that one is trying to show the relationship:

(du/dT)p = Cp - P(Beta)v

or

[tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial T})_p = c_p - p\beta v[/tex]

where

[tex]\beta = \frac{1}{v} (\frac{\partial v}{\partial T})_p [/tex]

OK, how about starting with [tex] h = u + pv [/tex], or

[tex] u = h - pv [/tex]

differentiating with respect to T at constant P,

[tex] (\frac{\partial u}{\partial T})_p = (\frac{\partial h}{\partial T})_p - (\frac{\partial (pv)}{\partial T})_p [/tex]

and go from there remembering the definition of [itex]c_p[/itex] is

[tex] c_p = (\frac{\partial h}{\partial T})_p[/tex]

thanks

duh, thank a lot. i see it clearly now. much thanks

I have those moments too. :biggrin:

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is work related to thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. This can occur through mechanical, electrical, or other forms of energy transfer.

3. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is one in which there is no heat transfer between a system and its surroundings. This means that the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the work done on the system.

4. How is enthalpy related to thermodynamics?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the energy required to create its current state. It is often used in thermodynamics equations to calculate the heat transferred between a system and its surroundings.

5. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle that has been tested and proven in countless experiments. Energy may appear to be created or destroyed in certain processes, but it is always conserved overall.