Solving Horizontal Force for Femur Injury Treatment

In summary, the diagram shows a way to prevent a thigh bone from growing back shorter after it has been broken. The apparatus consists of a pulley system with two weights, and the tension in the system is uniform.
stunner5000pt
ok have a look at the diagram posted. When someone broke their femur (thigh bone) the muscles around the femur would compress tightly and thereby shorten the bone once it heals back. SO the apparatus described in the diagram is what they used to do to prevent the femur from growing back shorter. The question is to find the horizontal force - in terms of the mass,m and the mass of the leg(ML).

What i was thinking of doing was to assume that htis was a simply pulley system where there were two masses on either side of the one pulley... but that wouldn't yeild an answer since it would get (since there is no acceleration)
[tex] T_{1} - mg = T_{2} - m_{L}g [/tex]
but then i cnanot solve for T1 or T2 (can i?)

Now lookin at my diagram and my various labelled tensions...
T1 = mg
T2 T2cos 50 = mg and T2 = mg / cos 50
vertical component is t2 cos 50\
horizontal t2 sin 50

is this the same value for T3 ? When does trhe value of the other force (gravity on the leg) come into play?

Please help! Thank you very much!

Attachments

• torque.JPG
    torque.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the setup. Is the cable supposed to totally support the weight of the leg? (I don't know what the board-like thing attached to the leg is. Is it fixed? Or does it move with the leg?)

In any case, I see no reason why you can't model this as a simple pulley system with uniform tension throughout. Of course, that implies that [tex]m = m_L[/tex], since the pulley system provides no mechanical advantage. (Not a particularly clever design!)

that board attafcehd to the leg is not supposed to move. The leg just rests on that board.

Actually there are numerical values for m=5kg and ML = 3.75 kg

the question is to find the horizontal force on the leg...
So the concern is what is the tension T2 and T3...

Since the board is fixed, other forces must act on it. I see no reason not to treat the pulley system as frictionless & massless, and thus the tension as uniform throughout. The tension will equal the weight of the hanging mass.

1. What is a horizontal force and how does it affect femur injuries?

A horizontal force is a force that is applied horizontally, perpendicular to the direction of the femur bone. It can occur during activities such as sports, falls, or car accidents. This force can cause fractures or dislocations in the femur bone, leading to a femur injury.

2. How do scientists determine the amount of horizontal force needed for femur injury treatment?

Scientists use various methods such as biomechanical testing, computer simulations, and clinical studies to determine the optimal amount of horizontal force needed for treating femur injuries. These studies take into account factors such as the severity of the injury, the age and weight of the patient, and the specific location of the injury on the femur bone.

3. Can horizontal force be used for both non-surgical and surgical treatment of femur injuries?

Yes, horizontal force can be used for both non-surgical and surgical treatment of femur injuries. For non-surgical treatment, a splint or brace may be used to apply the force to the injured area. For surgical treatment, a traction device or external fixator may be used to apply the necessary horizontal force.

4. Are there any risks or complications associated with using horizontal force for femur injury treatment?

As with any medical treatment, there are potential risks and complications associated with using horizontal force for femur injury treatment. These may include nerve or blood vessel damage, infection, or further injury to the femur bone. It is important to consult with a medical professional and carefully follow their instructions when using horizontal force for treatment.

5. Can horizontal force be used for other types of bone injuries?

Yes, horizontal force can be used for other types of bone injuries, such as fractures in the tibia or fibula bones. However, the amount and direction of force needed may differ depending on the location and severity of the injury. It is important to consult with a medical professional to determine the appropriate use of horizontal force for different types of bone injuries.