What caused a strong smell in a Pennsylvania neighborhood?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, officials in New Kensington, Pennsylvania responded to complaints of a strong ammonia smell from a house and expected to find a methamphetamine lab. However, a code enforcement officer discovered 35 cats and a dog instead. The conversation also touches on the topic of excessive urination and the surprise of having a scheduled mid-day bathroom break.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. - When neighbors complained about a strong ammonia-like smell coming from a house, officials expected to find a methamphetamine lab. Instead, a code enforcement officer found 35 cats and a dog. [continued]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/ap_on_fe_st/cats_not_meth

That stinky dog...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: 35 cats

35 is just a waste. You can't eat more than 4 or 5 then they go bad

Ivan Seeking said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/ap_on_fe_st/cats_not_meth
That stinky dog...

That's got to be a lot of urine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not more than I can put out in my mid-day wee.

Wow. You schedule your wee? I drink extra water at work just to have an excuse to get up from my desk and not be lying when I say I'm going to go use the wc.

1. What are the common smells associated with a meth lab?

The most common smells associated with a meth lab are strong chemical odors, such as ammonia, acetone, and ether. Other potential smells may include a strong smell of vinegar, cat urine, or rotten eggs.

2. Why does a meth lab have a distinct smell?

Meth labs produce a distinct smell due to the use of various chemicals in the manufacturing process. These chemicals can release strong, pungent odors that are often difficult to mask.

3. Can the smell of a meth lab be harmful?

Yes, the smell of a meth lab can be harmful as it is an indication of potentially toxic and hazardous chemicals being used. Inhaling these chemicals can cause respiratory issues, headaches, and other health problems.

4. How can I identify if my neighborhood smells like a meth lab?

If you notice any of the common smells associated with a meth lab in your neighborhood, it is important to contact the authorities immediately. Other signs may include excessive traffic at odd hours, blacked-out windows, and frequent visitors to a specific location.

5. What should I do if I suspect a meth lab in my neighborhood?

If you suspect a meth lab in your neighborhood, do not investigate it yourself. Instead, contact the appropriate authorities, such as the police department or drug enforcement agency. They have the training and resources to safely handle the situation.

Back