2 questions about tenzors

• Thread starter ibc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the expression (Aijxi)/xk is a tensor or not, and if it is, what type of tensor it is (co-variant or contra-variant). The conversation also discusses the expression d2(phi)/dxpdxq and debates whether it is a tensor or not, with one side arguing that it is a second order contravariant tensor. The other side raises concerns about working in Euclidean tensors and the use of covariant derivatives. The question of whether 1/x is a tensor is also raised.
ibc

Homework Statement

whether (Aijxi)/xk is a tenzor or not, if it is, what kind? (co-variant or contra-variant).

Homework Equations

given that Aij is a second degree tenzor and x are the coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

Aijxi)/ is clearly a first degree contra-variant tenzor, therefore the question reduces to whether
Bj/xk
is a tenzor.
so I do the transformations, and get a normal tenzor transformation on the numerator (from B), and a normal transformation on the denominator (from x), so if we are working in 1 dimention, it's simply 1/(dx/dx')*x = (dx'/dx)*1/x, which means a co-variant tenzor in the denominator transforms as a contra-variant tenzor.
however, if the dimention is greater than 1, I get a sum of lots of partial derivetives, and 1 devided by that equals who knows what... so in that case I fail to determine whether it is a tenzor or not, it doesn't really look like one to me, but I'm really not sure, maybe there's some algebric work to do and make it look like a tenzor again?

Homework Statement

what kind of a tenzor (co-variant or contra-variant) is:
d2(phi)/dxpdxq

Homework Equations

phi is a scalar function
x are the coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

the questions states that it is a tenzor, and asks what kind of a tenzor it is, yet I don't understand how come it is a tenzor.
the expression is
d2(phi)/dxpdxq =
d/dxp(d(phi)/dxq), and d(phi)/dxq is a co-variant tenzor, so I do the transformation for it, and the take the derivative by xp, I get 2 expresion, which one looks like a tenzor transformation, yet the other a second derivative of x by some x'i, x'j (x' being the new coordinates).
so I don't understand why is that expression a tenzor

thanks
ibc

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say [itex]A^{ij}x_i[/itex] transforms as
[tex]A^{mn}'x_m'= A^{ij}x_i\frac{\partial x^n'}{\partial x^j}[/tex] and so is a first order contravariant tensor. [itex]1/x_k[/itex] transforms as
[tex]\frac{1}{x_j'}= \frac{1}{x_k}\frac{\partial x_j'}{\partial x_k}[itex]
and so is also a first order contravariant tensor. The tensor product [itex]A^{ij}x_i/x_j[/itex] then transforms as
[tex]A^{mn}'x_m'/x_j'= A^{ij}x_i/x_j\frac{\partial x^n'}{\partial x^j}\frac{\partial x_j'}{\partial x_k}[/tex]
and so is a second order contravariant tensor. So, again unless you are working only with Euclidean tensors, for a scalar function, [itex]\phi[/itex],
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^j}[/tex]
is a first order covariant tensor but
[tex]\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial x^i \partial x^j}[/itex]
is NOT a tensor.

(Euclidean tensors allow only coordinate systems in which coordinate lines are straight lines and are orthogonal to one another.

In general, unless you are working in Euclidean tensors, in which the Christoffel symbols are all 0, derivatives of tensors are not tensors- you have to use the "covariant derivative".

hey, wherever you wrote an equation, I see it as a black stripe, do you know how I can see it normally?

thanks

HallsofIvy said:
As you say [itex]A^{ij}x_i[/itex] transforms as
[tex]A^{mn}'x_m'= A^{ij}x_i\frac{\partial x^n'}{\partial x^j}[/tex] and so is a first order contravariant tensor. [itex]1/x_k[/itex] transforms as
[tex]\frac{1}{x_j'}= \frac{1}{x_k}\frac{\partial x_j'}{\partial x_k}[itex]
and so is also a first order contravariant tensor. The tensor product [itex]A^{ij}x_i/x_j[/itex] then transforms as
[tex]A^{mn}'x_m'/x_j'= A^{ij}x_i/x_j\frac{\partial x^n'}{\partial x^j}\frac{\partial x_j'}{\partial x_k}[/tex]
and so is a second order contravariant tensor. So, again unless you are working only with Euclidean tensors, for a scalar function, [itex]\phi[/itex],
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^j}[/tex]
is a first order covariant tensor but
[tex]\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial x^i \partial x^j}[/itex]
is NOT a tensor.

(Euclidean tensors allow only coordinate systems in which coordinate lines are straight lines and are orthogonal to one another.

In general, unless you are working in Euclidean tensors, in which the Christoffel symbols are all 0, derivatives of tensors are not tensors- you have to use the "covariant derivative".

oh I managed to see it now.

you said: 1/xj'=(1/xk)*(dxj'/dxk)
how do you know 1/x transforms that way?
by saying that you assume it's a tenzor, but my question is how do you know 1/x is a tenzor?

1. What are tensors and how are they used in science?

Tensors are mathematical objects that are used to represent the relationships between different physical quantities in a multi-dimensional space. They are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to describe the properties and behaviors of complex systems.

2. How do tensors differ from other mathematical objects like vectors and matrices?

Tensors differ from vectors and matrices in that they can represent more complex relationships between multiple dimensions, whereas vectors and matrices are limited to one or two dimensions, respectively. Tensors also have specific transformation rules that make them useful for describing physical systems in a way that is not possible with vectors and matrices.

3. Can tensors be visualized or are they purely abstract mathematical concepts?

Tensors can be visualized in some cases, such as when they are represented as matrices or arrays of numbers. However, in higher dimensions, it becomes more difficult to visualize tensors and they are often represented using abstract mathematical notation.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensors?

Tensors have numerous real-world applications, including image and signal processing, machine learning, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in the study of general relativity and quantum mechanics, as well as in computer graphics and computer vision.

5. Are there any limitations to using tensors in scientific research?

One limitation of using tensors is that they can become incredibly complex and difficult to work with in higher dimensions. This can make it challenging to find solutions or make predictions using tensor equations. Additionally, tensors may not always accurately represent the behavior of certain systems, and other mathematical models may be needed to fully describe them.