Can alternative gases be used to test water pipes for leaks?

In summary, someone is arguing about whether or not to pressure test water pipes with air. They suggest that this is not a pressure test, and that there is a difference between a leak test and a hydrostatic pressure test. They go on to say that air is not a good choice for pressure testing because it is greatly compressed and can be dangerous. They also suggest using hot water to test the pipes.
TSN79
I work for a plumbing company, and we recently put up some copper water pipes (~30mm) in a newly constructed building. The buidling isn't finished, and since it's below 0 degrees we can't test the pipes with water. So, we though about doing it with air instead. Some people tell me that this should never be done because it's simply dangerous, while others think it's fine.

One question is how much pressure should be used, and for how long? With water we would test it for a couple of hours with 7-8 bars. Pressure during use is about 5 bars. Someone told me that air would perhaps leak out since air molecules are supposedly smaller than those of water. If so, how much (and how fast) should I allow to leak out before believing it to be some kind of bad joint somewhere...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pressure testing with water is fairly safe unless you're very close to the leak. Water is only slightly compressed at a pressure of 8 bar and loses it's energy quite quickly as it expands.

Air is a different story since it is greatly compressed at 8 bar; the rupture of a pipe can send shrapnel flying.

Check your codes for what is allowed, but I think you might look into helium leak testing.

I would strongly advise that you don't pressure test water pipes with air. The test pressures needed to prove soundness are dangerous.

I'd break the pipework up into sections with isolation valves, water-test all those you can without freezing the pipes; then look for another means as suggested by TVP, or wait until temperatures rise.

How about testing with hot water? :smile:

Hi TSN,
Although testing with water is safer, it isn't necessary. What you're asking if I'm not mistaken, is simply leak tesing using air. This isn't a pressure test. There's a difference. A "leak test" is done at no more than 110% of design pressure to see if there are any leaks, whereas a hydrostatic pressure test (such as per ASME BPV Code) is a structural test done to verify suitability of welds, material, etc...

Per ASME B31.3 (Piping Code), paragraph 345, a pneumatic test in accordance with para. 345.5 may be used when "the owner (of the piping system) considers a hydrostatic leak test impractiable".

Para. 345.5 notes the hazardous release of stored energy when compressed gas is used, and suggests a number of steps to reduce risk, including ensuring there is no chance of brittle fracture. Copper pipe is not subject to brittle fracture, but any cast iron or steel fittings might be suspect at very low temperature - although 0 C or 0 F isn't generally considered very cold for even cast fittings.

When testing with air, you should have some type of safety relief set at 110% of test pressure, unless you can be sure there is no chance of overpressurizing the piping.

Para 345.5.5 regards "Procedure" and states that the pressure shall be gradually increased to 1/2 test pressure and a leak test performed. The pressure can then be raised in increments, "holding the pressure at each step long enough to equalize piping strains" (or about 1 minute). The pressure should then be reduced to the 'design pressure' before examining the leakage ...

We do this kind of thing all the time at about 400 psi for copper pipe installations used on cryogenic systems. The leak test is preferably done using a bubble leak detection fluid such as "Real Cool Snoop" liquid leak detection fluid.
http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_results.aspx

This fluid won't freeze in cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a glycol and water mixture to prevent freezing. I'd used at least 30% glycol, and test in sections like brewnog mentioned.

Helium is a bit extreme since the molecular size is so small, i.e. you might not get a good test with He but you probably would with water.

Hi stewart,
Use a glycol and water mixture to prevent freezing. I'd used at least 30% glycol, and test in sections like brewnog mentioned.
This would work, but I would never recommend such a thing. Glycol is poisonous, so it should never be admitted to a pottable water system. There are dead ends and parts of such systems that will be very difficult to clean out.

Oh yeah, I forgot it was a potable water system! Thanks for pointing that out!

Glycol. Ouch! But it raises a good point.

Any solute in water lowers it's freezing point. Salt for instance is cheap, and not poisonous. It is useful if temperatures are near but below zero. Salt reaches maximum saturation in water about the -20 C point or so and is really not practical below say -10 C.

Otherwise, you might well want to go with the leak test.

I installed new PEX tubing for underfloor radiant heating. Both feed and return have not been hooked up and I plan to air test them.. Would 40 lbs be enough? There are no fittings or splices as of yet and I'm quite sure we did not nick any tubing during the process.

Q_Goest said:
Glycol is poisonous, so it should never be admitted to a pottable water system. There are dead ends and parts of such systems that will be very difficult to clean out.

Maybe Scotch instead?
Just thinking out loud.

Let me point out something for those of you who recommend to avoid air testing. If NO testing is done, or testing is done with water under different circumstances, is the valve just opened allowing the pipes to slowly fill? If so, air will be trapped in various parts of the system with the same hazard mentioned previously in this thread.

graphico said:
I installed new PEX tubing for underfloor radiant heating. Both feed and return have not been hooked up and I plan to air test them.. Would 40 lbs be enough? There are no fittings or splices as of yet and I'm quite sure we did not nick any tubing during the process.
Leak test as a function of operating pressure. If it operates at 30-35 psi then 40 psi is reasonable.

Danger said:
Maybe Scotch instead?
Just thinking out loud.
Let me know when you need help with your water pipes Danger. I'm there!

I tested my 1500 feet of PEX (5 runs) at 70 PSI with air and no leaks.

I'm aware that professional leak testers will pressurize a leaking water line with helium or hydrogen/nitrogen 5/95 and use an suitable electronic sniffer, to find a leak.

I'm curious to know if it might be practical to use ammonia, argon, nitrogen, or other inexpensive gasses in the alternative.

The reason: all local gas suppliers says helium is short worldwide and they will not sell to a new customer... Helium/nitrogen 5/95 is somewhat expensive locally at about $60 for 40 cf.

Does anyone know if alternative gasses will work and if there are affordable detectors which will sniff these gasses emanating from an underground or under slab leak?

1. How is air used to test water pipes?

Air is used to test water pipes by pressurizing the pipes with air and checking for any leaks or damages. This is done by connecting an air compressor to one end of the pipe and sealing the other end. The pressure is then increased to a specific level and maintained for a certain amount of time to see if there are any changes in pressure, indicating a leak.

2. What are the advantages of testing water pipes with air?

One of the main advantages of testing water pipes with air is that it is a non-destructive method, meaning it does not cause any damage to the pipes. It is also a quick and relatively inexpensive method compared to other testing methods. Additionally, air testing can be done at any stage of the construction process, allowing for early detection of any potential issues.

3. Are there any limitations to testing water pipes with air?

One limitation of testing water pipes with air is that it may not detect small leaks or cracks. This is because air can compress and escape through small openings, making it difficult to detect. Additionally, air testing may not be suitable for pipes with bends or irregular shapes, as it can be challenging to maintain pressure in these areas.

4. How do you determine the appropriate pressure for air testing water pipes?

The appropriate pressure for air testing water pipes is typically determined by the governing building codes or standards. It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure the safety and integrity of the pipes. The pressure may also vary depending on the type and size of the pipes being tested.

5. What should be done if a leak is detected during air testing?

If a leak is detected during air testing, the source of the leak should be identified and repaired before retesting. This may involve replacing damaged sections of the pipe or fixing any faulty connections. After repairs are made, the pipes should be retested to ensure that the issue has been resolved.