C++ programming(access to sound card)

• C/C++
  • Thread starter markoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses how to access and program a sound card in LCC for Windows XP. It is suggested to use sound libraries or OS API, with DirectSound and OpenAL being popular options. Various resources are also recommended, such as the DirectSound Wrapper Classes and libraries like fmod and bass. The project involves receiving and processing sound data from a microphone in real-time.
markoX
hello,How can I access to sound card in lcc? I mean getting data and so on.could you give a simple example? thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
If you have never done that before programming sound card at the IO level will be hard. I would look for sound libraries or OS API. A lot depends on what you plan to do.

What operating system do you use?

DirectSound Wrapper Classes
in http://www.codeproject.com/KB/directx/dsoundwc.aspx
But I think this code need Directsound and visual c++ not the compiler as you mentioned LCC.

and there are many stuffs in the "www.codeproject.com ", you can just dig into this site.

Thanks, My OS is windows xp 32bit. actually I need a prepared C library which can be used in lcc-win32. My project is quite simple; It should receive in each instant the intensity of an external sound from mic, doing some quick processess, and after that send an calculated intensity to speaker immediately.

Last edited:
Hi

I am doing the same job as yours. Could you please guide me how to read sound card online in windows xp. my aim is to process the data afterwards.

Many thanks
Mohammad

1. How do I access the sound card in C++ programming?

To access the sound card in C++ programming, you will need to use a library or API (application programming interface) specifically designed for this purpose. Some popular options include the OpenAL library and the Windows Multimedia API. These libraries provide functions and methods for interacting with the sound card, such as playing audio files or recording sound.

2. Can I use C++ to create audio applications or games?

Yes, C++ is a popular programming language for creating audio applications and games. It provides low-level control over hardware and memory, making it well-suited for tasks like real-time audio processing. Additionally, many game engines and audio development tools are built using C++.

3. How do I handle errors or exceptions when accessing the sound card in C++?

When working with any external device or resource, such as a sound card, it is important to handle potential errors or exceptions. This can be done using try-catch blocks in your code, where you attempt to access the sound card and catch any errors that may occur. It is also good practice to check return values from functions or methods that interact with the sound card, and handle any errors accordingly.

4. What is the difference between using C++ and a higher-level language for sound card access?

C++ is a low-level language, meaning it gives the programmer more control over hardware and memory. Higher-level languages, such as Python or Java, often have built-in functions or libraries for accessing the sound card, but may have less control over how the sound card is used. Depending on your specific needs and goals, either option may be suitable for sound card access.

5. Are there any limitations to accessing the sound card in C++ programming?

As with any programming language, there are limitations to accessing the sound card in C++. These may include differences in available libraries or APIs depending on your operating system, and potential compatibility issues with different sound card models. It is important to research and test your code thoroughly to ensure it works as intended on various systems.