The impossible lost city Mega .

In summary, something unexplained like this tends to be forgotten as soon as possible and is not explored systematically, only the discoverers were attempting to do so until their funding dried up. Evidence for that attitude is the failure to really exploit this site systematically.
Here are some sound bites from a Reuters report on the
"Mystery of Cabo San Antonio, a possible underwater city off Cuba"
Reuters said:
"'Its a new frontier', enthused Soviet-born Canadian ocean engineer Pauline Zelitsky, from British Columbia-based Advanced Digital Communications, poring over video images of hitherto unseen seafloor taken by underwater robots.

'We are the first people ever to see the bottom of Cuban waters over 50 metres... its so exciting. We are discovering the influence of currents on global climate, volcanoes, the history of formation of the Caribbean islands, numerous historic wrecks and even possibly a sunken city built in the pre-classic period and populated by an advanced civilization similar to the early Teotihuacan culture of Yucatan' she said.

Advanced Digitial Communications has been exploring a string of underwater volcanos about 5000 feet deep off Cubas western tip, where millions of years ago a strip of land once joined the island (of Cuba) to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.

Most intriguingly, researchers using sonar equipment have discovered, at a depth of about 2200 feet, a huge land plateau with clear images of what appears to be urban development partly covered by sand. From above, the shapes resemble pyramids, roads and buildings.

'Its stunning. What we see in our high resolution sonar images are limitless, rolling, white sand plains and, in the middle of this beautiful white sand, there are clear man made large size architectural designs. It looks like when you fly over an urban development in a plane and you see highways, tunnels and buildings.' Zelitsky said.

'We don't know what it is and we don't have the videotaped evidence of this yet, but we do not believe that nature is capable of producing planned symmetrical architecture, unless it is a miracle.' she added in an interveiw in her office at Tarara along the coast east of Havana."

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
And here's some more updates: this one from July 2005

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1448108/posts

(snipette)
Cataclysmic Earthquake

Paulina Zelitsky has been steadfast in her theory of the collapse of the city as a result of a powerful earthquake more than 12,000 years ago .

"All the team’s scientists are in agreement with the understanding that the geologic formation of the Yucatan Peninsula is as a result of seismic activity.

In fact, the Peninsula and the zone of the collapse are located near a zone of high seismicity ", she says. -

This discovery demonstrates that the first north americans arrived earlier than previously thought and that all did not arrive on the continent by means of the Bering Straits. Many others arrived from Asia by means of the Pacific Ocean.

Translated from Diario de Yucatan, July 10, 2005. Photo from www.guerrillero.co.cu/[/URL].[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
And National Geographic had to get in on the action:

New Underwater Finds Raise Questions About Flood Myths
Brian Handwerk
for National Geographic News
May 28, 2002

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/05/0528_020528_sunkencities.html

Sorry if this is a repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there was quite some upheaval in that time. Lot's of media coverage and forums coverage. Tales of Atlantis and such.

But the scientific coverage lacked completely, it's way beyond me why things were not thoroughly investigated. We just have to wait and see if anything is happening. We just must know what this is exactly and we must face it that it may be something that we cannot understand for now.

I'm reviving this thread with the news that there is no news, in a positive way.

One of my friends, geoscience major, was challenged to present a case on the edge. Some phenomenon that could not be explained with the current state of knowledge. It was agreed to present the case of the Cuban Lost City. So she e-mailed the main players, like the geologist Manuel Itturalde-Vinent, asking for updates and got responses promptly: sorry, nothing more to report.

The last action was is 2005. ADC, Paulina Zelitski, had to withdraw when the funding dried up. National Geographic abandoned their plans on a special documentary.

This underlines the objective of this thread. Why aren't the research vessels crowding the local area, fighting for their right to investigate this curiosity to the bottom? Why are we turning our backs, trying to forget, when something really unexplainable pops up?

Meanwhile the 'city' is almost really lost

Andre said:
I'm reviving this thread with the news that there is no news, in a positive way.

One of my friends, geoscience major, was challenged to present a case on the edge. Some phenomenon that could not be explained with the current state of knowledge. It was agreed to present the case of the Cuban Lost City. So she e-mailed the main players, like the geologist Manuel Itturalde-Vinent, asking for updates and got responses promptly: sorry, nothing more to report.

The last action was is 2005. ADC, Paulina Zelitski, had to withdraw when the funding dried up. National Geographic abandoned their plans on a special documentary.

This underlines the objective of this thread. Why aren't the research vessels crowding the local area, fighting for their right to investigate this curiosity to the bottom? Why are we turning our backs, trying to forget, when something really unexplainable pops up?

Meanwhile the 'city' is almost really lost

This is something an independently wealthy person or persons could pull off. They'd have to hire some internationally known experts so their data and opinions would at least scratch the surface of the media. For instance, Graham Hancock couldn't do it since everyone seems to hate him. And he never really has any professionals with him on his explorations. His only big achievement has been waking up the Indian government to the fact that their sub-Continent is surrounded by submerged cities of great age. Now the Indian government has initiated dives and excavation plus research with amazing results.

Why is this site almost really lost?

i have a lot of money!and this is very interesting. but where would i start to get something rolling?

surferdude69 said:
i have a lot of money!and this is very interesting. but where would i start to get something rolling?

Are you serious? I know the players and it should be easy to start things off, but we're talking six, perhaps seven digits, I think, to do things right.

Robert Ballard would be the person to get involved in investigating this site.

NileQueen said:
Robert Ballard would be the person to get involved in investigating this site.

Perhaps, I'd say that Paulina Zelitski should be asked to finish the job.

surferdude69 said:

You could start by becoming a gold member of PhysicsForums!

Then I'd think about taking Andre's advice since Paulina Zelitski was the first to recognize the anomalies at 600 metres below sea level, just off the Cuban coast. She seems to have a keen eye.

The possibility of the Mega Site being related to the Mayan Civilization holds great promise and I think it would spark huge interest, world wide.

Holding the rights to images, research and publications may prove to be a lucrative investment. I have linked to satellite images of the area in the Mayan Underworld thread, (Histories and Humanities) that show submerged "roads" leading to and from the Mega Site.

Andre said:
Perhaps, I'd say that Paulina Zelitski should be asked to finish the job.

Why shouldn't she be a collaborator?