Drunken Philosophy: Find Meaning in Music & Stoli

• Music
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary: This thread should have been posted in the philosophy sub-forum, then it would have been taken seriously.I think this thread should have been posted in the philosophy sub-forum, then it would have been taken seriously.
IcedEcliptic said:
"A departure stirs a tip. Energy hangs from the bursting wine against the clipped handbook. Energy contracts the due soap past the telling shock. Boost cheats into Energy."

I remember those. The first time I received one I was in awe. I posted it to my blog.

Science news on Phys.org
Innnteresting.

The cannabis induced twaddle called postmodernism can be synthesized with the http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/1202693125/" .

Perhaps there is another for simulating brain + alcohol = philo. I haven't located howhttp://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=219" identified his synthetic generator, nor if he has been mixing martinis in his hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
[PLAIN]http://www.humboldtmathfestival.org/kleinbottle.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's If I could save Klein in a bottle.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
He's an engineer. o:)

eek. Pocket protectors come to mind.

You can say that again.

Math Is Hard said:
He's an engineer. o:)

Q: How do you tell your engineer is an extrovert?

A: When he talks to you, he stares at your shoes.

BobG said:
If there's more than two guys and more than two brunettes (in fact, at least as many brunettes as guys) as in the movie, then it's not a true Nash equilibrium. Any of the guys could improve their lot by agreeing to all go for the brunettes, but then switching his choice at the last second ... with the problem that more than one would opt for this strategy.
Game theory is not famous for explaining how players reach an equilibrium, in a step-by-step fashion. Even with one blonde and one brunette, and two guys, how does each guy know which of the two women that the other guy is going to approach, so he should stay away from her? If the guys talk and come up with a plan before they approach the women, is this any longer a "non-cooperative" game?

What game theory is good at is to postulate that if (somehow) one guy ends up with the blonde and the other with the brunette, neither will have an independent reason to change his preference, supposing the other does not change his.

My worst experience ever at a party was to be cornered by a drunk philosopher...well, a philosophy grad student anyway, so on her way to becoming a philosopher. A lecture on reductionism is no less fun when drunk than sober, by the way. :bugeye:

Edit: Okay, maybe it wasn't the WORST experience ever, but it was memorably unpleasant.

My finest philosophical moment came when my rel-phil 101 teacher hosted a texas hold 'em game and revealed that he is was a genuine master of the banjo. :)

Moonbear said:
My worst experience ever at a party was to be cornered by a drunk philosopher...well, a philosophy grad student anyway, so on her way to becoming a philosopher. A lecture on reductionism is no less fun when drunk than sober, by the way. :bugeye:

Edit: Okay, maybe it wasn't the WORST experience ever, but it was memorably unpleasant.

Did you do the 'what did the 5 fingers say to the face?' joke on her? :biggrin:

cronxeh said:
Did you do the 'what did the 5 fingers say to the face?' joke on her? :biggrin:

:rofl: No, by that time of the evening, every time I held up my hand, it had 10 fingers. Instead, I had to wait for someone else to wander too close and then tell her something like, "Oh, I think that person is also a reductionist and would love to hear your thoughts on it."

Okay, I have a drunken philosophy topic inspired by music. Everyone has been posting about Dio's death on Facebook, so how could I not consider something inspired by Dio.

"Rainbows in the Dark." Do they exist? (Please define existence first.) :biggrin:

How many fingers do reductionists have?

Math Is Hard said:
Two fingers of single-malt, please.

Math Is Hard said:

Definitely none. They just have collections of molecules that have aggregated into the shape of fingers. :biggrin: (If that's completely wrong, "Blame it on the alcohol.")

Math Is Hard said:
Exactly as many as the number they need to summarize the output of their chemical reactions, using the binary system, to the comprehensivist they've just met.

Math Is Hard said:

10 more than a solipsist will admit to having.