Musical Chills: Do You Experience Them?

• Music
  • Thread starter fuzzyfelt
  • Start date
In summary: Some music that gives me the chills:Conquest of ParadiseEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver meEt les oiseaux chantaientMay it bedeliver me
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
I’d previously read information about musical chills, (“Chills (goose bumps) have been repeatedly associated with positive emotional peaks. Chills seem to be related to distinct musical structures and the reward system in the brain.”)

http://musicweb.hmt-hannover.de/kopiez/Grewe_etal(2009)ChillsEmotionalPeaks_NYAS_1169.pdf

but didn’t know a few things, like other names for the experience and, particularly, that not everyone experiences it, which I find hard to believe (in various samples roughly half and down to 37% only, reported experiencing it, compared to 90% of music students).

http://www.cogsci.msu.edu/DSS/2008-2009/Huron/HuronFrisson.pdf
(linked to in another thread).

I thought it might be interesting to take a sample here of those who do or don’t experience it, or who may admit to, given the alternative names it has been given, etc. (I would understand any unwillingness to participate.) Some questions for affirmative answers would be-
1. Do you play any instruments?
2. Which genres do you like?

I do experience it, and play instruments and generally like all genres I know of, but probably less so music with lyrics that are overtly emotional.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I used to experience it, but I haven't in two years or so. Maybe I haven't heard good enough music.

Yes, I did experience it, but only with classical music.

I have experienced it many times. I don't play any instrument, and don't know any of the technicalities of music - I generally consider myself very unmusical. I think I have experienced it with nearly every genre except for punk and metal which I don't care for.

Great, 4 out of 4 so far!
TubbaBlubba said:
I used to experience it, but I haven't in two years or so. Maybe I haven't heard good enough music.
I imagine I would really miss it.
waht said:
Yes, I did experience it, but only with classical music.
Seems I'm not very fussy, but probably feel it more with classical music.
Andre said:

Thanks. One of the papers mentions Jussi Bjorling, amongst other pieces. I think this was the recording that introduced me to the feeling.

Academic said:
I have experienced it many times. I don't play any instrument, and don't know any of the technicalities of music - I generally consider myself very unmusical. I think I have experienced it with nearly every genre except for punk and metal which I don't care for.

That is interesting, considering whether or not knowledge of music is a prerequisite.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has happened to me, usually because it reminds me of a situation or even a specific incident. For instance, when I hear 'Born to Run' I feel that 440 in my Roadrunner throbbing. I don't even want to mention what I feel when I hear Bonnie Tyler or Laura Brannigan.:tongue2:

I guess its hard to call myself completely unmusical, I listen to it for hours a day. I very much seek it out and explore new genres, know a lot of the history and connections and sounds. But I have no idea how or inkling to play anything. I have no idea what terms like stanza, tone and tambre really mean and don't have any idea what particular notes sound like.

I get the same chills with other art forms as well, particularly literature. I think that's what gives me the chills most often, the written word or even oral speech with a profound idea.

I just listened to some of my favorites but none give me any chills, sorry.

I copy you on that, Academic. Regarding my musical talent, I'm just now learning to play the radio. I'm hoping that sometime next year I will graduate to remedial tape-deck.
When I read any of Martin Caidin's stuff (my favourite), I feel the aeroplane wrapped around my body. It was because of his books that I learned to fly, and his descriptions still give me chills.

fuzzyfelt said:
Jussi Bjorling, .

Oh definitely, Bizet, very strong, same for me with the httphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Xp88GE2hw, albeit in quatro here.

Edit: link seems doubtful here is another version.

I play violin and I only get them when I hear really really good players. I get it every time I hear Mendelssohn violin concerto played by David Oistrakh.

I think that is 6 out of 7!

Danger said:
It has happened to me...
Great!

Academic said:
I guess its hard to call myself completely unmusical, I listen to it for hours a day. I very much seek it out and explore new genres, know a lot of the history and connections and sounds. But I have no idea how or inkling to play anything. I have no idea what terms like stanza, tone and tambre really mean and don't have any idea what particular notes sound like.

I get the same chills with other art forms as well, particularly literature. I think that's what gives me the chills most often, the written word or even oral speech with a profound idea.

I understand, I guess you may be comparitively more familiar with music than many? And yes, it isn't confined to just music.

wolram said:
I just listened to some of my favorites but none give me any chills, sorry.

This is good to know! You enjoy it but no chills. Hard for me to imagine, but good to know :).
Andre said:
Oh definitely, Bizet, very strong, same for me with the here is another version.
Nice!

glueball8 said:
I play violin and I only get them when I hear really really good players. I get it every time I hear Mendelssohn violin concerto played by David Oistrakh.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Glueball, I bet that you would love Marc Wood's stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wood_(violinist [Broken])
"Monkeybats" from his "Voodoo Magic" album just blows my mind.

Okay, that's not quite classical... but check it out anyhow.

I experience it too, frequently, in fact. But I always thought it was just due to emotion, not the structure of the music. It's very mood-dependent, though. And I can get it from any genre.

Ahaha...right after I posted that, "Zombie" (Cranberries) came on the radio...yep, got 'em.

lisab said:
I experience it too, frequently, in fact. But I always thought it was just due to emotion, not the structure of the music. It's very mood-dependent, though. And I can get it from any genre.

7 out of 8!
Yes, reports that it happens infrequently didn't seem right to me either. I had always linked it with structure, however. And I agree about it being mood-dependent, and being able to give the music your attention, I think.

I think (with no medical or biochemical background to support it) that the ears might be connected in a fundamental way to the limbic system. Scent evokes incredibly complex memories that are otherwise buried in the subconscious mind. Perhaps sounds have the same effect.

lisab said:
Ahaha...right after I posted that, "Zombie" (Cranberries) came on the radio...yep, got 'em.
[off-topic]
Is that not the most difficult song to get out of one's head?
[/off-topic]

I get them when a singer hits a particularly high/difficult note. I've had them from instruments as well, but vocals are the usual catalyst.

Dembadon said:
I get them when a singer hits a particularly high/difficult note.

Minnie Ripperton must have driven you almost to the point of orgasm. She and Jack Smith (Wolfman Jack) were the only people that I've heard of who had 8-octave vocal ranges.

Danger said:
Minnie Ripperton must have driven you almost to the point of orgasm. She and Jack Smith (Wolfman Jack) were the only people that I've heard of who had 8-octave vocal ranges.

I'll definitely look them up!

I'll spare you the details of the result. o:)

I get chills when hearing new and impressive music. It settles down after repeated listenings, but never entirely goes away. Jackson Browne's "For a Dancer" can still get me, and Aaron Neville and Linda Rondstadt's "I don't Know Much" is close behind.

lisab said:

Me too.

Can't remember my first musical chill. But I think I've had them for at least the last 35 years.

The gentleman standing next to me says he has experienced them also. Don't know if that counts.

turbo-1 said:
I get chills when hearing new and impressive music. It settles down after repeated listenings, but never entirely goes away.

This is exactly how I would describe it for myself.

S_Happens said:
This is exactly how I would describe it for myself.
When I first heard Sting's "I'm So Happy that I can't Stop Crying" the song broke through too many barriers at once, and I was addicted to it. That is a viral song! Even before I saw the video. Please don't get addicted. The weird hair is just a bonus.

OmCheeto said:
The gentleman standing next to me says he has experienced them also. Don't know if that counts.

It depends upon whether or not he actually exists...

OmCheeto said:
Me too.

Can't remember my first musical chill. But I think I've had them for at least the last 35 years.

I sure hope you knew that guy before you asked him that...:tongue2:

Am a musician. Experience this.

I am a musician also and I do experience this. I think it is easier to get when the music is loud and in your face such as a good pair of headphones. Also, you have to be concentrating on the music and the music alone, not driving or anything else. On a side note, I get this mostly from progressive music.

Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Queen... Really theatrical music seems to be more likely to trigger it (A lot of classical music works too for this reason.). If it doesn't change moods throughout the piece, it's usually not as effective.

I sometimes get this feeling of blood flow increasing to my head and it feels a little warm. I'm actually able to control it and induce it as often as I'd like, i.e., I can give myself these "chills" through internal stimulus alone.

It's a strange phenomenon coming to think of it, genre is not important indeed. I can't put the finger on it yet. Concerning classical music for instance, Mozart doesn't have it. Beethoven does, many works.

One of strongest experiences for me is the final part of the Volgalied. I sit out the first part without much emotion, not bad but nothing special either, but at 3:02 minutes, the chill starts.

It appears that I'm not the only one, a shorter version is much more popular and you only have to wait 1:16 minutes before the magic starts. Andre Rieu seems to think likewise and he starts with that part right away here.

Last edited:
I play the banjo but never experience it listening to Bluegrass.
Sometimes I get it with 60's Folk-pop (Fairport etc.)

Definitely baroque - Handel, Bach, Vivaldi.

<h2>1. What are musical chills?</h2><p>Musical chills, also known as frisson or aesthetic chills, are a physical reaction characterized by goosebumps, shivers, and tingling sensations in response to listening to music.</p><h2>2. Why do some people get musical chills and others don't?</h2><p>The experience of musical chills is subjective and can vary from person to person. It is believed to be related to the individual's emotional response to the music, as well as personal preferences and past experiences.</p><h2>3. Are musical chills a sign of a strong emotional connection to music?</h2><p>Yes, research has shown that people who experience musical chills tend to have a stronger emotional connection to music. This can be due to the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward, in response to the music.</p><h2>4. Can musical chills be induced intentionally?</h2><p>Some people are able to intentionally induce musical chills by listening to certain types of music or focusing on specific elements of a song, such as a powerful melody or emotionally charged lyrics. However, not everyone is able to do this and it may not be as intense as a spontaneous frisson experience.</p><h2>5. Is there a difference between musical chills and getting goosebumps from being cold?</h2><p>Yes, there is a difference. Musical chills are a psychological response to music, while getting goosebumps from being cold is a physiological response to a change in temperature. The two sensations may feel similar, but they are caused by different stimuli.</p>

1. What are musical chills?

Musical chills, also known as frisson or aesthetic chills, are a physical reaction characterized by goosebumps, shivers, and tingling sensations in response to listening to music.

2. Why do some people get musical chills and others don't?

The experience of musical chills is subjective and can vary from person to person. It is believed to be related to the individual's emotional response to the music, as well as personal preferences and past experiences.

3. Are musical chills a sign of a strong emotional connection to music?

Yes, research has shown that people who experience musical chills tend to have a stronger emotional connection to music. This can be due to the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward, in response to the music.

4. Can musical chills be induced intentionally?

Some people are able to intentionally induce musical chills by listening to certain types of music or focusing on specific elements of a song, such as a powerful melody or emotionally charged lyrics. However, not everyone is able to do this and it may not be as intense as a spontaneous frisson experience.

5. Is there a difference between musical chills and getting goosebumps from being cold?

Yes, there is a difference. Musical chills are a psychological response to music, while getting goosebumps from being cold is a physiological response to a change in temperature. The two sensations may feel similar, but they are caused by different stimuli.