Post your Winter and Spring 2011 schedules here

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: B+ grades hold you back!In summary, the person is planning to take a few graduate level classes and is expecting the workload to be about the same as it was this past semester.
Jack21222
Alright, does everybody have that fall semester out of their system yet? It's time to stop making posts about whether that B+ will kill your chances at grad school, or if you should switch majors because of one C. Let's move forward.

There's still over a month to go before the spring semester, but I imagine most of us are registered. Also, who's taking winter classes?

I'll get us started

Winter: None

Spring 2011:

Electricity and Magnetism (300-level)
Modern Physics II
Intermediate Lab Physics II
Linear Algebra (200-level)
Directed Readings (1 credit with my research advisor. Preparing me for my senior research project starting next fall)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
Alright, does everybody have that fall semester out of their system yet? It's time to stop making posts about whether that B+ will kill your chances at grad school, or if you should switch majors because of one C. Let's move forward.

There's still over a month to go before the spring semester, but I imagine most of us are registered. Also, who's taking winter classes?

I'll get us started

Winter: None

Spring 2011:

Electricity and Magnetism (300-level)
Modern Physics II
Intermediate Lab Physics II
Linear Algebra (200-level)
Directed Readings (1 credit with my research advisor. Preparing me for my senior research project starting next fall)

My grades for the fall semester will be out in 4 days so its going to be 4 more painful days of waiting!

I will be taking in spring:
Linear Algebra II
Discrete Mathematics
Real Analysis I
Regression Analysis

Along with an engineering project module and a dumb compulsory engineering elective. This is 15% above the normal workload (but at least I won't be TA-ing like I did last semester). I foresee little sleep and social life again! I guess everyone here is excited about the new semester :D

Thermal Physics
Probability
Work 20 hours/week

Signal Processing
Honours Classical Mechanics II
Honours Complex Variables
Honours Applied Linear Algebra
Honours Differential Geometry

Shackleford said:
Thermal Physics
Probability
Work 20 hours/week

The schedule I posted includes 30 hours of work a week. Where's the rest of your classes? :tongue:

Electrodynamics, Real Analysis 2, Algebraic Topology 1 (grad level), Operator Theory (grad level), English 2, and General Chemistry (hooray for seniors taking freshmen classes!). Electrodynamics is the last physics requirement I have to take, too. Huzzah!

Spring 2011:

Introductory Physics II
Calculus III
Ordinary Differential Equations (for Physics Majors)
Fundamentals of Scientific Computing
Accelerated English Writing

And I'll probably be working about 10 hours a week too. So should be a pretty busy semester. Only my second semester though. I pretty much breezed through this one (Calc II, Linear Algebra, Introductory Physics I and Philosophy) and am looking to push myself harder next semester.

On a quarter system here:

Math Methods for Physicists (first quarter out of 3)
First upper div Lab
Modern Physics 2

Spring '11

Calculus III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Calculus-Based Physics II w/ lab
Statics
Introduction to Engineering

Total is 17 credits

Just quit my job too so I can start to focus on this stuff. We'll see how being poor pans out this semester since I've been working and going to school since like junior year of high school.

Chemistry II with lab
Physics II -Electricity and Magnetism with lab
Honors Calculus II
PE-triathlon
History seminar

It's 16 hours, and I'm expecting the work load to be about the same as it was this past semester...I'm still waiting for two grades though!

Jack21222 said:
The schedule I posted includes 30 hours of work a week. Where's the rest of your classes? :tongue:

I don't see how you can fit all that during the week. I could theoretically take another class, but it starts a bit too early in the morning for me and ends when one of my classes starts. I'll never do that again. lol.

Physics II. And I'm debating adding either Calculus III or Linear Algebra. Might as well completely fill up the weekends. lol

Honors: Introduction to Analysis II
Honors: Fundamentals of Algebra II
Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems (graduate-level)
Some Gen-ed.

None. I'm graduating! woooooooooooo!

I myself will finish my undergraudate degree as well, and will be continuing on to an Msc in math in the next semester.

I am pretty much sure I'll take two graduate number theory courses, my other choices of courses aren't final. But the other courses I am thinking of taking are Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (a graduate course), and another course in Arithmetic Groups (also a graduate course), and maybe even a seminar in Ergodic Theory.
All of these are what I am planning to take for credit for the Msc, other than that I may participate in other advanced courses for math and physics majors which I didn't have time to take in my UG degree, but not for credit.

Ah... the start of a new semester... where there is so much hope and excitement! At least until those first test scores come back ;)

Good luck all!

Physics E&M (1st year)
Chem Solutions (1st year)
Calc II
Linear Algebra
English

This is going to suck...seeing I have to do all of this in three months lol

flyingpig said:
Physics E&M (1st year)
Chem Solutions (1st year)
Calc II
Linear Algebra
English

This is going to suck...seeing I have to do all of this in three months lol

You'll do fine, it doesn't look that bad.

Winter:
Classical Mechanics II
Contemporary Physics
Electronics Lab I
Math Methods (Graduate)
Modern Philosophy

Spring:
Statistical Mechanics
Electronics Lab II
Fourier Analysis and PDEs
Modern Algebra I
Math Methods II (if it's offered)

Astronomy of Stars and Galaxies
Introduction to Geophysics
Honors Calculus II
Honors Linear Algebra II
Fluids and Waves

Is this only for University schedules?

Winter:

Honours Statistical Mechanics
Honours Linear Algebra
Measurements Lab
Classical Mechanics

Meh.

Spring 2011:

E&M
Dynamics
Modern Physics
Physics Seminar - Math
Independent Study - Research
English 102
Speech

Bleh.

Winter

Graduate Algebra
Graduate Topology
Real Analysis
A special studies course in Algebraic Topology

Dont know about spring yet

Winter:
Advanced Analysis (Vector Analysis, Fourier Analysis, Differential Geometry)
Graduate History Seminar (On Postcolonialism and the United States' Counterinsurgency doctrine)
Kierkegaard and European Decadence
And on the side, an informal Category Theory seminar/reading group

Spring:
Modal Logic
Mathematical Special Relativity
Complex Analysis
Deleuze
Category Theory reading group

Reedeegi said:
Winter:

Spring:
Deleuze
That's awesome. Are you doing a math/philosophy major? Do you know what the readings are for the Deleuze course?

Winter:

Microeconomics
Linear Algebra
Introduction to engineering

Spring

Economics for Engineers
Computer Programming for Engineers
Statics
Dynamics
Mechanics of Materials
Modern Physics (not sure about this one)
(Will ask permission to take another semester of DE)
(Will probably take Tennis)

1)Control Systems
2)Signals and Systems deux ( II)
3)Thermodynamics and Fuild mechanics ( oh no.. :-(...)
4) Sensors and Measurement
5) Communications ( sounds like another signals and systems course)
And
one of : abstract algebra, number theory or economics
Which ever one fits into my schedule.

Spring 2011
Linear Algebra II
Graph Theory
Statistical Theory II

Maybe Topology. I'm on the fence about it (hence my recent thread), but I'm leaning toward it now. If not Topology, I'll probably default to Number Theory. I'd rather not, since it's sort of a soft option at my school and the teacher isn't great.

So, either Topology or Number Theory.

Chaostamer said:
Spring 2011
Linear Algebra II
Graph Theory
Statistical Theory II

Maybe Topology. I'm on the fence about it (hence my recent thread), but I'm leaning toward it now. If not Topology, I'll probably default to Number Theory. I'd rather not, since it's sort of a soft option at my school and the teacher isn't great.

So, either Topology or Number Theory.

Have you taken analysis ?

I don't know if it is a good idea to do topology without some analysis. I haven't taken topology myself but from what I heard a first course in analysis is helpful.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Have you taken analysis ?

I don't know if it is a good idea to do topology without some analysis. I haven't taken topology myself but from what I heard a first course in analysis is helpful.

No, I'm taking my first course in Analysis in the Fall (my first opportunity to do so). I've heard that Topology can motivate Analysis as much as the other way around (and at my school, neither lists the other as a prerequisite), so I figured I might be okay if I work at Topology enough. Either way, I plan to study it independently over my break, so I'll at least have some vague foundation by the time the spring starts.

And since I'm new here, I'm not 100% solid on the forum rules just yet, so I don't want to run the risk of derailing this topic. I have a thread about my Topology situation. If you like, we can talk about it over there.

capandbells said:
That's awesome. Are you doing a math/philosophy major? Do you know what the readings are for the Deleuze course?

Reedeegi said:
Winter:
Advanced Analysis (Vector Analysis, Fourier Analysis, Differential Geometry)
Graduate History Seminar (On Postcolonialism and the United States' Counterinsurgency doctrine)
And on the side, an informal Category Theory seminar/reading group

Spring:
Modal Logic
Mathematical Special Relativity
Complex Analysis
Deleuze
Category Theory reading group
Yeah, I'm doing a double major in math and either philosophy or critical theory/rhetoric. As such, I mainly work with continental linguistic philosophy. The readings for the Deleuze class are primarily from the volumes of Capitalism and Schizophrenia.

Jack21222 said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Calc 2
Spanish 2
Intro to Programming, don't know the language we're using

Possibly, Chem 1

Independent Study (Designing Control Laws)
Aircraft Detailed Design (degree capstone course)
Electrical Engineering II (required, meh)
Structures and Instrumentation (basically testing stuffs)
Orbital mechanics

Final Semester then its Masters in AE time!

Spring

Classical Mechanics I
University Physics II w/lab
Differential Equations I
Linear Algebra

only 13 hours, but should be plenty of work..