Can Kinetic Energy in Electromagnetic Waves Explain Their Speed in a Vacuum?

In summary: Ar is the area of the reflecting surface.In summary, electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light because of its kinetic energy. This energy is what causes radiation pressure and the rotation of metal surfaces when it is directerd onto them.
David Burke
Does anyone have an explanation for why kinetic energy carried by electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light?

My understanding of the speed of sound is that the denser the medium, the faster the wave velocity. Since this is just kinetic energy propagating through a medium, how is it different when applied to electromagnetic radiation? If it is no different, does that mean that a vacuum has infinite density?

Physics news on Phys.org
you seem to have confusion between sound waves and light waves. when you say electromagnetic radiation, you are talking about light wave. light can travel in vacuum. sound cannot travel in vacuum, it needs medium to propagate.

True, sound waves (kinetic energy dispersing through a medium) requires something to travel through. So how can photons transfer kinetic energy (and at such velocity) without a medium. Correct me if I am wrong (very possible) but photons carry kinetic energy as shown by the photo electric effect and the fact that they have mass when not in a rest state. Also, if a laser is directerd onto a suspended metal surface the surface will rotate?

David Burke said:
True, sound waves (kinetic energy dispersing through a medium) requires something to travel through. So how can photons transfer kinetic energy (and at such velocity) without a medium. Correct me if I am wrong (very possible) but photons carry kinetic energy as shown by the photo electric effect and the fact that they have mass when not in a rest state. Also, if a laser is directerd onto a suspended metal surface the surface will rotate?

That's just one of the wild things about light, it requires no medium to travel through.

Photons do not have mass, but they do have an energy and momentum (they simply are not given by [itex]KE = {{1}\over{2}}mv^2[/itex] and [itex]p = mv[/itex]).

You might have been confused. Sound propagate in vacuum but light can(300,000m/s)

David Burke said:
Also, if a laser is directerd onto a suspended metal surface the surface will rotate?
Yes, it will. There's something called radiation pressure.
This pressure of light will be doubled for all angles of incidence if the light is both absorbed and reflected.
However, I think the formula of solar radiation pressure on that page is wrong.It should be F= -p(c+1)Ar
where p is the force per unit area,
c is the coefficient of reflectivity

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of sound in a vacuum?

The speed of sound in a vacuum is 0 meters per second. This is because sound waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through and cannot propagate in a vacuum.

2. Why can't sound travel in a vacuum?

Sound waves are mechanical waves that require particles to vibrate in order to propagate. In a vacuum, there are no particles for the sound waves to travel through, thereby preventing the propagation of sound.

3. How does the speed of sound in a vacuum differ from the speed of light?

The speed of sound in a vacuum is significantly slower than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is because light does not require a medium to propagate and can travel through a vacuum.

4. Can sound travel through outer space?

No, sound cannot travel through outer space because it is a vacuum. However, in certain circumstances, sound can be transmitted through other forms of matter, such as gases and liquids, that may exist in outer space.

5. How does the speed of sound in a vacuum affect space travel?

The speed of sound in a vacuum is an important consideration for space travel, as it affects communication and navigation. Since sound cannot travel in a vacuum, other methods, such as radio waves, are used for communication in space. Additionally, the speed of sound in a medium, such as the atmosphere of a planet, can affect the design and operation of spacecrafts.