True or false? a conductor through a uniform magnetic field produces NO emf

In summary: If you move the coil through an inhomogeneous field, you will get a voltage in the general case. However, if the magnetic field is uniform, no emf will be generated.
Xabrewulf
Many sources on the web claim that when moving a conductor through a magnetic field, an emf is produced.

However, some sources claim, that the intensity of the magnetic field also needs to change in order to produce a voltage over the conductor, for example:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_14/5.html

What's the deal? Where lies the misconception?

In my understanding, when you move a conductor through a uniform magnetic field, you have no rate of change of flux, hence you have no emf produced.

Is this correct? Or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the shape of the conductor. If it is a closed loop, the magnetic flux through the conductor has to change, otherwise the (non-zero) potential differences in the loop will cancel each other. If it is a straight line (and you close the loop somewhere else to measure the voltage), a constant magnetic field is fine. You can calculate the flux through that big loop, and it will change (unless you move the cable parallel to the magnetic field).

there is always an induced emf whenever flux change i.e. B.A changes with time.when it moves through magnetic field then in most cases area changes and hence an emf.If B is changing then again an emf is there.

mfb said:
It depends on the shape of the conductor. If it is a closed loop, the magnetic flux through the conductor has to change, otherwise the (non-zero) potential differences in the loop will cancel each other. If it is a straight line (and you close the loop somewhere else to measure the voltage), a constant magnetic field is fine. You can calculate the flux through that big loop, and it will change (unless you move the cable parallel to the magnetic field).

Ok, so if I have coil with 5 loops, and it is not closed (because it is closed with a voltage meter) than no EMF will be generated if I move the coil through a changing magnetic field??

and it is not closed (because it is closed with a voltage meter)
That is closed, just with a high resistance at one point.

If you move the coil through an inhomogeneous field, you will get a voltage in the general case.

Xabrewulf said:
Many sources on the web claim that when moving a conductor through a magnetic field, an emf is produced.

However, some sources claim, that the intensity of the magnetic field also needs to change in order to produce a voltage over the conductor, for example:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_14/5.html

What's the deal? Where lies the misconception?

In my understanding, when you move a conductor through a uniform magnetic field, you have no rate of change of flux, hence you have no emf produced.

Is this correct? Or am I wrong?
if magnetic field is non uniform then its not a problm u can directly calculate emf induced since flux is changing with time factor but in case of uniform mag. field u need to consider cases wether its a loop or of any other shape if a ring is rotating about its axis parallel to mag field than no net emf is induced but in case of disc it behaves as a rod an emf is induced equl to the rod of length =radious of disc. actually your thinking is correct but emf is viwed here wether field lines are being cut or not ok

The subtlety is where you consider the induction: at the conductor or in the loop.

The flux must change to produce a voltage, which means the induction in the loop must change, but this can happen as the induction at the wire remains constant - at least over soem distance.

One example is an abnormally designed loudspeaker, with long concentric pole pieces producing a uniform radial induction, and a short coil fully immersed in the uniform induction. The induction is constant at the wire, but the flux (per turn...) through the coil changes between two coil positions by the amount that passes between the poles over the distance.

This is for fields varying slowly as compared to light propagation's time over the dimensions. In an antenna, everything is more complicated.

This reminds me of a lesson back in college - if a wire is cutting lines of magnetic flux, a voltage is produced.

1. What is an emf?

An emf, or electromotive force, is the potential difference or voltage that is induced in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field.

2. Is it true that a conductor through a uniform magnetic field produces no emf?

Yes, it is true. When a conductor moves through a uniform magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the conductor does not change, so there is no change in the magnetic flux and therefore no emf induced.

3. Why does a conductor through a uniform magnetic field produce no emf?

This is because the motion of the conductor does not cut across any magnetic field lines, so there is no change in the magnetic flux through the conductor.

4. What happens if a conductor moves through a non-uniform magnetic field?

If a conductor moves through a non-uniform magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the conductor will change, resulting in an emf being induced.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a conductor through a uniform magnetic field produces no emf?

Yes, there are some special cases where a conductor moving through a uniform magnetic field can produce an emf. This can occur if the conductor is a closed loop, or if the magnetic field is changing with time.