Are there any examples of functions that react to themselves?

• Thread starter alvin51015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of functions that react to themselves and asks for examples of such functions expressed algebraically. One example given is differential equations where acceleration is based on position, such as a sine or cosine wave. The conversation also briefly mentions the work of parapsychologist Dean Radin, but dismisses it due to forum rules.
alvin51015
Hi. Are there any examples of functions that react to themselves? If so, how are they expressed algebraically? Any simple example will be extremely enlightening to me. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "functions which react to themselves"? That's a pretty vague description.

I was just throwing out an idea to see if the work of Dean Radin had permeated the regular body of knowledge.
I would say that my vagueness lends itself to the fact that I haven't figured anything out yet.

One type of example, would be differential equations where acceleration is based on position. For example a sine or cosine wave would be [itex]\ddot x = -x [/i]. A common real world example would be the elliptical orbits of a two body system.

I doubt these are what you're looking for, but they are functions that react to themselves (the acceleration eventually results in new position(s), and the new position(s) affect acceleration).

alvin51015 said:
I was just throwing out an idea to see if the work of Dean Radin had permeated the regular body of knowledge.

The parapsychologist crank, Dean Radin?

Exactly, let's not bring up crackpots here since it's against our rules to discuss them.

1. What is a self-reactive function?

A self-reactive function is a function that takes itself as an input and produces a modified version of itself as the output. This means that the function is able to modify its own behavior or code based on its own output.

2. Can you give an example of a self-reactive function?

An example of a self-reactive function is a recursive function in computer programming. A recursive function calls itself within its own code in order to solve a smaller version of the same problem. The function continues to call itself until the problem is solved, and then returns the final solution.

3. How do self-reactive functions work?

Self-reactive functions work by taking themselves as an input and then performing some operation or modification on their own code. This can be achieved through techniques such as recursion, which allows the function to repeatedly call itself until a certain condition is met.

4. What are the advantages of using self-reactive functions?

One advantage of using self-reactive functions is that they can make code more efficient and concise. Rather than writing separate functions for each step of a process, a self-reactive function can handle all the steps by modifying itself. This can also make the code more flexible and adaptable to different scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to using self-reactive functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using self-reactive functions. They can be more difficult to debug and understand, especially for beginners. In addition, if not used properly, self-reactive functions can lead to infinite loops, which can cause the program to crash. Therefore, it is important to carefully design and test self-reactive functions before implementing them in a program.