Solving the First Circuit with Kirchhoff's Laws

In summary, this conversation discusses a circuit with two different currents in the central resistor when analyzing it using Kirchhoff's laws. However, when considering the second circuit with auxiliary resistances, there is no issue with the central current. The reason for this is that batteries always have some resistance, causing infinite currents and making the first circuit self-contradictory. The superposition principle is not helpful in this case, as it also leads to impossible circuits. The solution is to replace the batteries with 0V batteries and using the limiting case for the second circuit. However, this result does not make physical sense and is an example of a situation where the mathematics does not align with the real world.
DaTario
Hi All,
Concerning the first circuit in the attached figure:

By applying Kirchhoff laws we arrive at two different currents in the central resistor. But if we consider the second circuit with its auxiliar resistances we see no problem with the definition of the central current.

Is it due to the fact that batteries always have some resistance?
Infinite currents will appear in the side branches of this first circuit, but even so is there any way to get the appropriate answer to the question of what is the current in the central resistor?

I am not sure I have understood well the superposition principle which may well be the method to be used here (in the first circuit).

Thanks,

Best Wishes,

DaTario

Attachments

• tricky electric circuit.jpg
    tricky electric circuit.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
DaTario said:
Infinite currents will appear in the side branches of this first circuit, but even so is there any way to get the appropriate answer to the question of what is the current in the central resistor?
No. The first circuit has no solution. It is a self contradiction. You cannot have one node that is both 10 V and 20 V.

Superposition doesn't help. If you use the principle of superposition then you get two self contradictory circuits. The first where one node is both 10 V and 0 V and the second where one node is both 20 V and 0 V.

Last edited:
By applying the Kirchhoff law to the first circuit, you do not get two different currents.
Instead you come to an impossibility (which is 20V=10V).
Analyzing what happens makes sense only by comparing to a similar circuit that has been modified to avoid this.
The second circuit allows you to think so.

Applying the superposition principle to the first circuit leads twice to impossibilities (like 0V = 10V).

To use the superposition principle:

calculate the current in the central resistor when the left battery is replaced by a 0V battery,
calculate the current in the central resistor when the right battery is replaced by a 0V battery,
add the two and you will get the result with both batteries in the circuit

make sure you understand why this principle holds

Thanks Mr. DaleSpan, but what is the reason to this status of having no solution?

DaleSpam said:
No. The first circuit has no solution. It is a self contradiction. You cannot have one node that is both 10 V and 20 V.

Superposition doesn't help. If you use the principle of superposition then you get two self contradictory circuits. The first where one node is both 10 V and 0 V and the second where one node is both 20 V and 0 V.

DaTario said:
Thanks Mr. DaleSpan, but what is the reason to this status of having no solution?
Let v be the voltage at the top and let i be the current through the resistor. Then this circuit has the following equations:
v=20
v=2i
v=10

This is three linear equations in two unknowns. The system is over determined. Over determined systems of equations either have no solution or the equations are not linearly independent. In this case the first and third equation have no solution, so the system has no solution.

Hi maajdl,

maajdl said:
By applying the Kirchhoff law to the first circuit, you do not get two different currents.
Instead you come to an impossibility (which is 20V=10V).

I was considering the kind of separation used in applications of the superposition principle.

maajdl said:
Analyzing what happens makes sense only by comparing to a similar circuit that has been modified to avoid this.
The second circuit allows you to think so.

I thought we could legitimate the first circuit by accepting those infinite currents while focusing in the fact that the limiting case of the second circuit when the auxiliary resistances go to zero yields a well defined value for the central current (current in the central resistor).

Best Wishes,

DaTario

DaleSpam said:
Let v be the voltage at the top and let i be the current through the resistor. Then this circuit has the following equations:
v=20
v=2i
v=10

This is three linear equations in two unknowns. The system is over determined. Over determined systems of equations either have no solution or the equations are not linearly independent. In this case the first and third equation have no solution, so the system has no solution.

Now it seems prety well supported. Thank you.

Consider the attached graphic. It is current versus the value of the auxiliary resistance (both r1 and r2 were taken as equal). The red curve is the central current, the blue and the green are the currents in the side branches. The blue one corresponds to the branch with the smaller battery (10 V). Observe:

1) the convergence to 7.5 A when we take the limit of r -> 0,

and

2) ther fact that the current in the left side branch inverts its direction at r = 2.

Best wishes,

DaTario

Attachments

• tricky circuit 2.jpg
    tricky circuit 2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
The first circuit is an example of a short circuit. That's why it is potentially dangerous to connect different batteries in parallel with each other.

Likes 1 person
DaTario said:
Hi maajdl,

I was considering the kind of separation used in applications of the superposition principle.

I thought we could legitimate the first circuit by accepting those infinite currents while focusing in the fact that the limiting case of the second circuit when the auxiliary resistances go to zero yields a well defined value for the central current (current in the central resistor).

Best Wishes,

DaTario

This is an example of a situation where the mathematics produces a result that does not fit the real world. There are many of these, where you divide by zero, add +∞ and -∞ or some other invalid step. You need not be surprised that the answer you get doesn't make Physical sense.

DaTario said:
Consider the attached graphic. It is current versus the value of the auxiliary resistance (both r1 and r2 were taken as equal). The red curve is the central current, the blue and the green are the currents in the side branches. The blue one corresponds to the branch with the smaller battery (10 V). Observe:

1) the convergence to 7.5 A when we take the limit of r -> 0,

and

2) ther fact that the current in the left side branch inverts its direction at r = 2.
Yes, the second circuit has a solution, no question about that. And you might be tempted to take that limit as r→0 as the solution to the first circuit, but that would be a mistake.

That limit depends strongly on the assumption that r1 and r2 are equal. If you violate that assumption then you do not get the same limit. In fact, if r1 is any amount larger than r2 then you get i = 5 A, and if r2 is any amount larger than r1 you get i = 10 A, both as the smaller resistance approaches 0.

This kind of instability in the solutions of limiting cases is typical of circuits that do not have a solution.

Aside: You shouldn't connect two ideal current sources in series either :-)

CWatters said:
Aside: You shouldn't connect two ideal current sources in series either :-)

And never leave the output terminals of a current transformer on a HV distribution system un-terminated. I really didn't get it when my Dad used to tell me that. It was only years afterwards that it struck me why.

Thank you all, I guess a sufficiently good explanation was given here.

Best Regards,

DaTario

What is Kirchhoff's law?

Kirchhoff's laws are a set of fundamental principles in circuit analysis that govern the behavior of electrical currents and voltages in a closed circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node.

How do I solve the first circuit with Kirchhoff's laws?

To solve the first circuit with Kirchhoff's laws, you will need to apply both Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law. These laws involve setting up and solving a system of equations based on the known and unknown currents and voltages in the circuit. Once the equations are solved, you can determine the values of the unknown variables.

What are the advantages of using Kirchhoff's laws to solve circuits?

Kirchhoff's laws provide a systematic and mathematical approach to analyzing circuits, making it easier to solve more complex circuits. These laws also take into account the conservation of energy and charge, ensuring accurate results. Additionally, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit or a more complicated network of interconnected components.

Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's laws to solve circuits?

While Kirchhoff's laws are powerful tools for circuit analysis, they do have their limitations. These laws assume that the circuit is in a steady-state condition, meaning that the currents and voltages are constant. They also assume that the circuit is linear, meaning that the components behave in a predictable manner and do not introduce any non-linear effects, such as saturation or temperature dependence.

Can Kirchhoff's laws be applied to circuits with capacitors and inductors?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied to circuits with capacitors and inductors. However, in circuits with these components, the equations may become more complex and may require additional techniques, such as differential equations, to solve. In these cases, Kirchhoff's laws are still used as the underlying principles, but the analysis may require more advanced methods.