How to construct CD2 target for experimental nuclear physics

In summary, the best way to create a solid target of deuterated polyethylene for neutron detection is through a compression technique. This involves carefully measuring and pressing the powder using a specialized press with high pressure and heat. It is important to monitor the temperature and avoid any burning or melting of the polyethylene. Practicing with regular polyethylene first may be helpful.
CFlower
Hi guys,

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to create a target of deuterated polyethylene for neutron detection. I have ~30g of this very expensive powder and need to determine the best way to create a thick target (thick as in ~5cm, not a thin film like is used for proton detection.) Given how expensive the powder is there is no room for error. I have regular polyethylene to practice with, however given the different melting temperatures etc I need more information.

What is the best way I can create a solid target? I have read many papers and see methods including dissolving it in xylene and letting the xylene evaporate as well as compression techniques and some melting techniques, but all of these are tailored to creating very thin films.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated, I am under a great deal of time pressure. I think it is most likely that I will be using a melting technique, but I absolutely can not burn the polyethylene, nor can there be any bubbles/impurities in the final product.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Creating a thick target of deuterated polyethylene for neutron detection can be a challenging task, especially considering the cost of the powder and the need for precision. After reviewing the methods you have mentioned, I believe that the best approach for your situation would be a compression technique. This involves pressing the powder into a solid target using high pressure and heat. This method has been successfully used in the past for creating thick targets of regular polyethylene for neutron detection.

To begin, you will need to obtain a specialized press that is capable of applying high pressure and heat. This can often be found in research labs or universities. Next, you will need to carefully measure and weigh out the desired amount of deuterated polyethylene powder. Place the powder into a mold that is designed for high pressure and heat applications.

Once the powder is in the mold, it is important to carefully apply the pressure and heat. This process should be done slowly and gradually to ensure that the powder is evenly compressed and there are no air pockets or bubbles. It is also important to monitor the temperature closely to prevent any burning or melting of the polyethylene.

After the target has been successfully compressed, you can remove it from the mold and allow it to cool. It is important to handle the target with care to avoid any damage or contamination. Once cooled, the target should be solid and free of impurities.

I understand that you are under time pressure, so it may be helpful to practice this technique with regular polyethylene first to get a feel for the process and make any necessary adjustments. I hope this information helps you in creating a successful and precise target for your neutron detection needs. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a CD2 target and why is it used in experimental nuclear physics?

A CD2 target is a type of target used in experimental nuclear physics experiments. It consists of a thin layer of carbon and deuterium (CD2) molecules, typically frozen in a solid state. It is used because the deuterium nuclei (with one proton and one neutron) provide a good source of neutrons for nuclear reactions, while the carbon nuclei serve as a stable background for the experiment.

2. How is a CD2 target constructed?

A CD2 target is constructed by depositing a thin layer of CD2 molecules onto a substrate, such as a metal foil or glass plate. This can be done through various techniques such as vacuum deposition, sputtering, or spray coating. The thickness of the target layer is typically on the order of micrometers, and the target is then cooled to a very low temperature to keep the CD2 molecules in a solid state.

3. What factors are important to consider when constructing a CD2 target?

Several factors must be taken into account when constructing a CD2 target for experimental nuclear physics. These include the purity and thickness of the target layer, the temperature and stability of the target, and the compatibility of the target with the experimental setup. It is also important to consider the target's ability to withstand high energy particle beams and its potential for producing unwanted background signals.

4. How is a CD2 target prepared for use in a nuclear physics experiment?

Before using a CD2 target in an experiment, it must be carefully prepared to ensure optimal performance. This may involve annealing the target at a specific temperature to improve its stability, cleaning the surface to remove any impurities, and measuring the target's thickness and density. The target is then typically mounted onto a holder and installed into the experimental setup.

5. What are some potential challenges in constructing a CD2 target for experimental nuclear physics?

Constructing a CD2 target for experimental nuclear physics can present several challenges. These include achieving the desired thickness and stability of the target layer, minimizing background signals, and ensuring compatibility with the experimental setup. Additionally, the cost and availability of materials needed for the target construction can also be a challenge. It is important to carefully plan and optimize the target construction process to overcome these challenges and achieve accurate and reliable experimental results.