Infra-Red optical filters: What are made of ?

In summary,The chemical elements commonly used for build filter lens applied on moderns night vision cameras are IR frequency dependent. Research has not yet found a definitive answer to the manufacturing process and chemical elements employed. However, a few good references can be found on Wikipedia and Google.
andre_teprom
Dear friends,

I wish know what is/are the chemical elements commonly used for build filter lens applied on moderns night vision cameras.

Thanks in advance.

+++

Engineering news on Phys.org
andre_teprom said:
Dear friends,

I wish know what is/are the chemical elements commonly used for build filter lens applied on moderns night vision cameras.

Thanks in advance.

+++

Welcome to the PF.

What has your reading told you so far? What research have you done on this? Can you post links to some of the reading that you have been doing, and ask specific questions on things that you are not understanding in that reading?

Dear berkeman,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, however I do not understand what properly I need provide beyond the problem stated on previous description itself, but I´ll try answer each one of your questions, as follows

berkeman said:
What has your reading told you so far?

I just heard from a friend who worked on projects of professional cameras designed for Industrial applications ( more specifically, temperature measurement based on IR 'light' spectrum ), that there exists a lot of industrial optical filters designed for specific frequencies on 'light' spectrum. Each one of these lens are manufactured by a process on what the glass is doped with specific chemical elements.

berkeman said:
What research have you done on this?

Concerning to research, I googled a lot, but could not find any reference about manufacturing process and chemical elements employed.

berkeman said:
Can you post links to some of the reading that you have been doing, and ask specific questions on things that you are not understanding in that reading?

I came here to this board because unfortunately could not get those information at other websites and expected could be the suitable place for that, but thanks anyway.

+++

In your OP you asked about night vision systems. But in your 2nd post you mention IR temperature sensing. The two systems are pretty different. Which are you interested in? Do you know already what the main differences are?

berkeman said:
In your OP you asked about night vision systems. But in your 2nd post you mention IR temperature sensing

Both vision systems essentially operate on the same working principle, based on reading the radiated energy emitted from a 'black body', which is a function of its own temperature.

For some reason that does not matter for this subject, frequencies near the infrared range are the most suitable for obtaining this information on current sensor technologies.

However, once the frequency range of cameras CCD and CMOS is quite large, becomes necessary filtering frequencies of all the other 'light' spectrum ( mostly visible ), which could saturate measurement if occurring during the day, or under artificial lighting.

This filtering "bandpass" is performed by special lenses, made with the inclusion of primary chemical elements in their substrate, so that for each desired spectrum of light energy is applied a different 'ingredient' in its glass formula.

My curiosity just lies on know what chemical element is used in the case of IR lenses.

+++

Dear berkeman,The last link you gave brings exactly what I need.
In fact, I was not applying proper keywords on Google search.

Thanks a lot for assistance.
+++

1. What materials are used to make Infra-Red optical filters?

Infra-Red optical filters are typically made of materials that have the ability to block or transmit specific wavelengths of light, such as glass, plastic, or thin film coatings. These materials are carefully selected based on their unique properties and ability to filter out unwanted infrared light.

2. How do Infra-Red optical filters work?

Infra-Red optical filters work by selectively transmitting or blocking certain wavelengths of infrared light. This is achieved by using materials that have specific absorption properties for infrared light. These materials are arranged in layers to create a filter that can effectively block or transmit specific wavelengths of infrared light.

3. What types of infrared light can be filtered out by Infra-Red optical filters?

Infra-Red optical filters can filter out a wide range of infrared wavelengths, including near-infrared (NIR), short-wave infrared (SWIR), mid-wave infrared (MWIR), and long-wave infrared (LWIR). The specific wavelengths that can be filtered out depend on the materials used to make the filter and its design.

4. How are Infra-Red optical filters different from other types of filters?

Infra-Red optical filters are specifically designed to block or transmit infrared light, while other types of filters may be designed for visible light or other wavelengths. Infra-Red optical filters are also typically made of materials that have unique properties for filtering out infrared light, such as absorbing or reflecting specific wavelengths.

5. What are some common applications of Infra-Red optical filters?

Infra-Red optical filters are used in a variety of applications, including photography, remote sensing, spectroscopy, and thermal imaging. They are also commonly used in medical devices, security cameras, and other equipment that requires the filtering of infrared light.