Electric Field and an Uniformly Charge Plastic Pipe

In summary, a plastic pipe has an inner radius of 35.00 cm and an outer radius of 71.00 cm, with electric charge uniformly distributed in the region between the two radii. The charge density in this region is 30.00 C/m3. To calculate the magnitude of the electric field at a specific distance, the formula E=2kQin/rL can be used, where Qin is the charge enclosed within a gaussian surface, r is the distance from the center point, and L is the length of the gaussian surface. In order to use this formula, the volume of the gaussian surface must be known, which can be found by using the formula for volume of a cylinder. Once the volume is determined
Swagger
A plastic pipe has an inner radius of a = 35.00 cm and an outer radius of b = 71.00 cm. Electric charge is uniformly distributed over the region a < r < b. The charge density in this region is 30.00 C/m3

A)Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at r = 0.44 m.

B)Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at r = 1.59 m.

I need some help on where to begin. I know the e-field for cylindrical sym. is E=2kQin/rL

I also know that Qin=charge density * Volume.

How do I find the volume so I can find the Qin in both A and B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gaulaw.html"

Have you figured out what gaussian surface to use? Once you do that, you'll be able to calculate the charge enclosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand

What don't you understand?

I don't understand those formulas, we learned E=2kQin/rL. Was my approach the wrong way of doing it. Finding Qin and then using E=2kQin/rL to get the answer.

Yes, but more important than the formula is the underlying principle. Do you know how you got that formula?

Sorry to revive this old thread, but it is the exact same problem I am working on.

What is the formula used to solve the equation? I thought all I would have to do is E = lambda/2pi*epsilon*r^2 but I was wrong.

In the previous posts, in the equation E=2kQin/rL, what is L? Also, how do I find the volume so I can find the Qin in both A and B? Thank you.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field created by electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons. It describes the strength and direction of the force a charged particle would experience when placed in that field.

2. What is the significance of an electric field in a uniformly charged plastic pipe?

In a uniformly charged plastic pipe, the electric field is important because it determines the direction and strength of the electric force acting on any other charged particles in the vicinity. This can have practical applications in areas such as electrostatics and electronics.

3. How is the electric field calculated for a uniformly charged plastic pipe?

The electric field for a uniformly charged plastic pipe can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the charge.

4. What are the factors that affect the strength of an electric field in a uniformly charged plastic pipe?

The strength of the electric field in a uniformly charged plastic pipe is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the charge, and the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the pipe. In addition, the shape and size of the pipe can also impact the strength of the electric field.

5. How does the electric field change as you move away from the uniformly charged plastic pipe?

The electric field decreases as you move away from the uniformly charged plastic pipe, following an inverse square law. This means that the farther you are from the pipe, the weaker the electric field will be. However, the direction of the electric field will remain the same, pointing away from the positively charged pipe and towards the negatively charged pipe.