Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, there is a zero-day exploit in Internet Explorer that can take over a user's system without any intervention. Even users with Windows XP SP2 are affected. The solution options are to disable javascript in IE or use an alternate browser such as Firefox or Opera. Microsoft has known about this bug since 05/31/2005, but has not taken any action to fix it. This is not the only bug in IE that has not been addressed by Microsoft.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1891749,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

IE users should be aware of the websites they visit. There is yet another zero-day exploit that doesn't require any user intervention and can take over your system. Here is the proof of concept:

http://www.computerterrorism.com/research/ie/poc.htm

and here is the advisory:

http://www.computerterrorism.com/research/ie/ct21-11-2005

Even users with Windows XP SP2 are affected.

Solution(s):

1) Disable javascript in IE - If you do this many websites won't work
2) Use an alternate browser (Firefox - www.mozilla.org[/url] , Opera - [url]www.opera.com[/URL])

The sad part is that Microsoft has known about this bug since 05/31/2005 and they haven't done anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much are you willing to bet they haven't known about this before 5/31/2005?

Yes, it's possible Microsoft knew about it before that date, but May was the month that some 3rd party security researcher told Microsoft about it.

dduardo said:
The sad part is that Microsoft has known about this bug since 05/31/2005 and they haven't done anything about it.

Nothing new, there are dozens of bugs in IE that they flat out refuse to fix. Notice how there hasn't been a new version of it since 2001? And its a piece of crap.

Thanks for the heads up, dduardo!

1. What is an Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit?

An Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit is a type of security vulnerability that is found in the Internet Explorer web browser. It allows hackers to take advantage of flaws in the browser's code to gain unauthorized access to a user's computer or steal sensitive information.

2. How does an Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit work?

An Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit typically works by tricking the browser into executing code that was not intended by the developers. This can happen through malicious websites, email attachments, or links in phishing scams. Once the exploit is executed, hackers can gain access to the user's computer and carry out various malicious activities.

3. How can I protect myself from an Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit?

To protect yourself from an Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit, it is important to keep your web browser and operating system up-to-date with the latest security patches. You should also be cautious when clicking on links or opening attachments from unknown sources. It is also recommended to use a reputable antivirus software and enable firewall protection.

4. Can other web browsers be affected by a Zero-Day Exploit?

Yes, other web browsers can also be affected by Zero-Day Exploits. However, Internet Explorer is a popular target for hackers due to its large user base and history of security vulnerabilities.

5. What should I do if I think I have been a victim of an Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit?

If you suspect that you have been a victim of an Internet Explorer Zero-Day Exploit, you should immediately disconnect your computer from the internet and run a full scan with your antivirus software. You should also change any passwords that may have been compromised and monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. It is also recommended to report the incident to the appropriate authorities.