Calculating Initial Acceleration of a Charged Particle

In summary, a particle of mass 73 g and charge 38muC is released from rest at a distance of 46 cm from a particle with a charge of -17muC. Using the formula k [(q1 * q2) / mr^2], the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the 73 g particle is 3.7586 * E14 m/s^2. However, this answer was incorrect due to a typo and not accounting for the units and charge being in micro (10^-6) units. After correcting these errors, the final answer is obtained.
hoseA
A particle of mass 73 g and charge 38muC is
released from rest when it is 46 cm from a
second particle of charge -17muC.
Determine the magnitude of the initial ac-
celeration of the 73 g particle. Answer in units
of m/s^2.

Well, I used this formula:

k [(q1 * q2) / mr^2)]

8.98755*E9 [(38*17)/ ((73/1000)*(.46^2))]

edit - fixed typo

= 3.7586 * E14

But it's wrong... any help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure the units are correct, and square the (46 cm) or 0.46 m if using MKS.

Astronuc said:
Make sure the units are correct, and square the (46 cm) or 0.46 m if using MKS.

that was a typo on my part... i did indeed square it when i got the wrong answer. Anything look off to anyone?

I'm an idiot. I forgot to multiply the charges by mu(micro) 10^-6.

I got it now. =) Thx astronuc.

1. How do you calculate the initial acceleration of a charged particle?

To calculate the initial acceleration of a charged particle, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields that the particle is experiencing. You can then use the Lorentz force equation, F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. Once you have the force, you can use Newton's second law, F = ma, to calculate the acceleration.

2. What is the Lorentz force equation?

The Lorentz force equation is F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force on a charged particle, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. This equation describes the force that a charged particle experiences when moving through both electric and magnetic fields.

3. Can the initial acceleration of a charged particle be negative?

Yes, the initial acceleration of a charged particle can be negative. This would occur if the electric and magnetic fields are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force in the opposite direction of the particle's motion. In this case, the particle would experience deceleration or a decrease in its velocity.

4. What factors affect the initial acceleration of a charged particle?

The initial acceleration of a charged particle is affected by the magnitude and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the charge and velocity of the particle. Other factors that may also play a role include the mass of the particle and any other forces acting on it, such as friction or gravity.

5. Can the initial acceleration of a charged particle change over time?

Yes, the initial acceleration of a charged particle can change over time. This can occur if the electric and magnetic fields change, or if the particle's velocity or charge changes. Additionally, external forces or interactions with other particles can also cause changes in the particle's acceleration.