Solving the Mystery of the Expansion Equation: 1/2(x-3)^2-18

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation was about a person struggling with the expansion of brackets in the equation 1/2(x-3)^2-18. They eventually realized they needed to take half of the entire expression and subtract 18 from it, resulting in -27/2. They also mentioned using a math package to check their answer and noted that there are multiple ways to factorize the equation.
Schrodinger's Dog
I have the equation 1/2(x-3)^2-18

Now normally I have no trouble with expansion of brackets but for some reason this is puzling to me.

1/2x^2-3x-9-18

I get 1/2x^2-3x-27

I checked the answer with a maths package and it comes up with : -

1/2x^2-3x-27/2 Why? What am I missing here. where does the 27/2 come in?

I also get 1/2(x-3)(x-9) if I factorise it again? My pacckage obviously likes, multiple different factorisations.

Anyway I'm a bit stumped, normally I don't have a problem with this sort of straightforward stuff but I'm stumped on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
To clarify, your expression is
(1/2)*(x-3)^2-18

What do you get when you expand (x-3)^2? You're then going to want to take half of that ENTIRE expression (which means half of every term in it) and subtract 18 from your result.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
To clarify, your expression is
(1/2)*(x-3)^2-18

What do you get when you expand (x-3)^2? You're then going to want to take half of that ENTIRE expression (which means half of every term in it) and subtract 18 from your result.

It is official I am an idiot:rolleyes: of course -13.5 =-27/2 (+4.5-18) thanks :smile:

1. What is the Expansion Equation?

The Expansion Equation, also known as the quadratic expansion, is a mathematical formula used to expand and simplify quadratic expressions. It allows us to expand expressions that are written in the form of (a+b)^2 or (a-b)^2 into a more simplified form.

2. How do you solve the Expansion Equation?

To solve the Expansion Equation, you can follow these steps:

• 1. Identify the terms inside the parentheses, for example, (x-3).
  • 2. Square the first term, in this case, x^2.
  • 3. Multiply the first term by the second term, in this case, x(-3)=-3x.
  • 4. Multiply the first term by the last term, in this case, x(-3)=-3x.
  • 5. Square the last term, in this case, (-3)^2=9.
  • 6. Simplify the expression by combining like terms, in this case, x^2-6x+9.

3. What is the significance of the number in front of the squared term?

The number in front of the squared term is called the coefficient. In the Expansion Equation, it tells us how many times the first term should be multiplied by itself.

4. Why is it important to expand quadratic expressions?

Expanding quadratic expressions allows us to simplify and solve more complex mathematical problems. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in the equation.

5. Can the Expansion Equation be used in real-life situations?

Yes, the Expansion Equation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze real-life situations that involve quadratic relationships, such as projectile motion or profit maximization.