How do you use substitution to solve integrals involving x, u, and n?

In summary, to find the integral of 1/(x*sqrt(1+x^n)), a suitable substitution is u^2 = 1 + x^n. By replacing x with (u^2 - 1)^(1/n) and dx with (2u/n)*(u^2 - 1)^((1-n)/n), the integral simplifies to 2/n times the integral of 1/(u^2 - 1). The final result is given by 2/n times the anti-derivative of 1/(u^2 - 1), which can be found using the substitution method and then substituting back for u.
whkoh
Qn.

By using a suitable substituition, find
[tex]\int{\frac{1}{x\sqrt{1+x^n}}dx}[/tex]

I haven't encountered this specific type of question before, so I went to use the obvious substitution
[tex]u^2=1+x^n[/tex], getting:

[tex]2u=n x^{n-1} \frac{dx}{du}\Leftrightarrow \frac{dx}{du}=\frac{2u}{n} x^{1-n}[/tex]

Hence
[tex]\int{\frac{1}{x\sqrt{1+x^n}}dx}[/tex]
[tex]=\int{\frac{2u}{n x^{1-n+1} \sqrt{u^2}}du[/tex]
[tex]=\int{\frac{2ux^n}{nu}}du[/tex]
[tex]=\int{\frac{2x^n}{n}}du[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{n}\int{x^n}du[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{n}\int{u^2-1}du[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{n}\left(\frac{1}{3}u^3 - u\right)+c[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{n}\left[\frac{1}{3}\left(1+x^n\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}-\sqrt{1+x^n}\right] +c[/tex]

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]=\int{\frac{2u}{n x^{1-n+1} \sqrt{u^2}}du[/tex]

This is the first error I found.

x^(1-n) would be correct if it were in the numerator.

I've always found it a bad idea to 'mix' your variables while integrating (the original with the substitution). I think it's better to find expressions for your x's in function of the new variable and then replace all at once.

Letting [itex]u^2 = 1 + x^n [/itex], we have that:

[tex]
x^n = u^2 - 1 \Leftrightarrow x = \left( {u^2 - 1} \right)^{1/n} \Leftrightarrow dx = \frac{{2u}}{n}\left( {u^2 - 1} \right)^{\left( {1 - n} \right)/n} du
[/tex]

Then substituting

[tex]
\int {\frac{1}{{x\sqrt {1 + x^n } }}dx} \to \int {\frac{{2u}}{n}\frac{{\left( {u^2 - 1} \right)^{\left( {1 - n} \right)/n} }}{{\left( {u^2 - 1} \right)^{1/n} u}}du} = \frac{2}{n}\int {\frac{1}{{u^2 - 1}}du}
[/tex]

As you can see, this simplifies nicely to a classical integral.

I'll leave integration and substituting back for you :smile:

What is "Integral with substitution"?

Integral with substitution is a method of finding the integral or area under a curve by substituting a new variable in place of the original variable in the integral. This allows for the integral to be expressed in terms of the new variable, making it easier to solve.

Why is "Integral with substitution" useful?

"Integral with substitution" is useful because it allows for the integration of more complex functions that cannot be solved by traditional methods. It also simplifies the integration process by reducing the number of steps required.

How do you use "Integral with substitution"?

To use "Integral with substitution", you first need to identify a suitable substitution or change of variable. This is typically done by looking for a pattern or structure in the original function. Then, you substitute the new variable into the integral and solve for the new integral. Finally, you replace the new variable with the original variable to get the final solution.

What are the most common substitution techniques used in "Integral with substitution"?

The most common substitution techniques used in "Integral with substitution" are u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and hyperbolic substitution. These techniques involve substituting a new variable based on the structure of the original function, such as using trigonometric functions for integrals involving square roots or using hyperbolic functions for integrals involving squares.

What are the limitations of "Integral with substitution"?

While "Integral with substitution" can be a powerful tool for solving integrals, it does have its limitations. It may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution for a given integral, and even when a substitution can be found, it may not always lead to an easier integral to solve. Additionally, this method may not work for integrals with certain types of discontinuities or singularities.