Power generation and distribution

In summary, when generating power with AC synchronous machines, it is necessary to add capacitance in order to maintain a phase difference between voltage and current, even if the line has inherent inductance.
fatima
i'm a lil confused bout whether we need the voltage and current to be out of phase or its something we just can't avoid..?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, if I understand what you are asking; The phase shift between the voltage and current waves depends on the load of the system. With lots of motors, for example, you would need to add capacitance to keep the shift to a minimum. A measure of how well power gets transferred is called http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/powfac.html" [Broken].

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
For purely resistive loads, voltage and current are in-phase, and this is the ideal situation. Maximal power transfer to the load occurs in this condition.

In many situations, reactive (i.e. capacitive or inductive) loads are unavoidable, but they are not ideal.

- Warren

Try re-phrasing the question.

fatima said:
i'm a lil confused bout whether we need the voltage and current to be out of phase or its something we just can't avoid..?
For power generation using AC synchronous machines and the fact that transmission lines have inherent inductance (reactance), we simply cannot produce power without a phase difference between voltage and current.

As much as possible it is desirable to reduce reactance. One way to reduce reactance in a power line is to add capacitance to offset the inductance.

thanks for the help. i started the course with very little basics but i think I'm beginning to get the picture now. so, if there is no inductance (which 'pushes' the current back) both will be in the same phase right? as for passing a capacitor, the current leads the voltage because the charges move 'ahead' once there is sufficient voltage change, am i right?

Astronuc said:
For power generation using AC synchronous machines and the fact that transmission lines have inherent inductance (reactance), we simply cannot produce power without a phase difference between voltage and current.

As much as possible it is desirable to reduce reactance. One way to reduce reactance in a power line is to add capacitance to offset the inductance.

While this is true, it is also true that extremely long transmission lines have capacitive reactance issues since each conductor serves as a "plate" of the capacitor and the air between is the dielectric.

Just muddying the water a little:biggrin:

1. What is power generation and distribution?

Power generation and distribution refers to the process of producing electricity and delivering it to end-users. It involves converting various forms of energy, such as fossil fuels, nuclear energy, or renewable sources, into electricity and transmitting it through a network of power lines to homes, businesses, and other facilities.

2. What are the main sources of power generation?

The main sources of power generation include fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas), nuclear energy, and renewable sources such as hydropower, wind, solar, and geothermal energy. Each source has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the mix of sources used varies depending on location and availability.

3. How is electricity distributed to consumers?

Electricity is distributed to consumers through a network of power lines, also known as the power grid. The grid consists of a complex system of transmission and distribution lines, substations, and transformers that carry electricity from power plants to local distribution networks and finally to homes and businesses. The distribution network is responsible for delivering electricity at the right voltage and frequency to meet the needs of different users.

4. What are the challenges of power generation and distribution?

There are several challenges associated with power generation and distribution, including maintaining a reliable supply of electricity, reducing dependence on fossil fuels, and managing the environmental impacts of power plants. Other challenges include aging infrastructure, increasing demand for electricity, and the integration of renewable energy sources into the grid.

5. How is technology impacting power generation and distribution?

Technology is playing a significant role in shaping the future of power generation and distribution. Advancements in renewable energy technology, energy storage, and smart grid systems are making it possible to improve efficiency, increase reliability, and reduce the environmental impact of power generation. Additionally, digital technologies are helping to monitor and manage the distribution network in real-time, leading to better decision-making and more efficient use of resources.