Force = mass x acceleration and related subject

In summary, to calculate the force/thrust needed to lift a certain amount of mass or weight, you can use the equation f = mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, for more specific situations such as accelerating an object or lifting it near the surface of the Earth, a more detailed formula may be needed. In the case of creating a hovercraft to lift a person, the thrust needed can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the hovercraft and person by the acceleration due to gravity.
magic_ghost
Hello,

Simple question.

Is there an equation or set of equations which allow me to calculate how much force/thrust is needed to lift a certain amount of mass or weight?

Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are lifting it at a constant velocity upwards, then just use f=mg. So you use g as your acceleration, since it's the "acceleration due to gravity".

EDIT: If you are accelerating something upward, then just add the acceleration upward to g.

magic_ghost said:
Hello,

Simple question.

Is there an equation or set of equations which allow me to calculate how much force/thrust is needed to lift a certain amount of mass or weight?

Daniel

Unfortunately, this is too vague to answer. It depends what you mean...Is the object lifted at constant velocity? Is it accelerating? Is the object lifted near the surface of the Earth? And on and on...
With a more detailed situation, we could give you explicit formula.

So to be more specific,

I am thinking of making a small hovercraft which can support the weight of one person (i.e. 140 pounds).

I know I will need a fan to produce the thrust but in order to know how powerfull the fan needs to, I will need to know how much thrust is required to lift 140 pounds.

Thankyou

Last edited:
magic_ghost said:
So to be more specific,

I am thinking of making a small hovercraft which can support the weight of one person (i.e. 140 pounds).

I know I will need a fan to produce the thrust but in order to know how powerfull the fan needs to, I will need to know how much thrust is required to lift 140 pounds.

Thankyou

Working in SI units, the thrust you need to barely lift the person is simply (mass of hovercraft + mass of the person) times 9.80 m/s^2. A pound is really a unit of weight (not mass) so if the person plus hivercraft weight one thousand pounds, you need one thousand pounds of thrust, minimum.

1. What is the formula for force?

The formula for force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How does mass affect force?

Mass directly affects force, meaning that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force required to accelerate it.

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration is directly proportional, meaning that as force increases, acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

4. What are some real-life examples of force = mass x acceleration?

Examples of force = mass x acceleration can be seen in everyday activities such as pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. In each of these cases, the force applied is directly correlated to the mass of the object being moved and the resulting acceleration.

5. How can I calculate force using the mass and acceleration of an object?

To calculate force, simply multiply the mass of an object by its acceleration. This will give you the force required to move the object at that particular acceleration.