What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #5,041
lisab said:
My husband is making a pea souffle right now. His cooking is o:):!).

Pea souffle? That sounds dreadful. Was it good?

btw, what is a soufflé?

Wiki says they are a source of funniness:

Due to soufflés' tendency to collapse quickly upon removal from the oven, they are frequently depicted in cartoons, comedies and children's programs as a source of humor.

[edit] Never mind. http://chateaudesiorac.com/pea-souffle/ sounds wonderful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,042
Yanick said:
I have two questions for you, sir.

1. Do you actually do this for the holiday?

Normally we do, although these days we cheat a little bit, for example counting things separately (so the carp is one dish, and the horseradish sauce counts as another dish).

If yes to #1 then:

2. Can I come over for Christmas?

As said in the linked text - we have an extra plate ready.

This years Eve will be rather modest here, so it may require some additional creativity to count to 12 dishes. Still, pierogi are ready (two kinds), borscht is ready (we don't prepare uszka), Marzena will fry mushrooms in batter tomorrow, Junior will bring herrings (no idea about exact recipe, up to him) and some kind of a surprise dish. I am going to make dried fruit compote later today.

lisab said:
The cabbage rolls sound especially delicious :!).

Every family has its own set of traditional dishes and we never prepare them for Christmas. But yes, they are great.

I have an agreement with my neighbor - her web page sits on my server, and in exchange once a year in a spring she pays with a pot of gołąbki :wink:

• #5,043
OmCheeto said:
Pea souffle? That sounds dreadful. Was it good?

btw, what is a soufflé?

Wiki says they are a source of funniness:

[edit] Never mind. http://chateaudesiorac.com/pea-souffle/ sounds wonderful.

It really was wonderful. I don't eat peas very often but when I do, I ask myself why I don't eat peas more often.

Likes gracy
  • #5,044
Borek said:
As said in the linked text - we have an extra plate ready.

Is it too unorthodox to have two extra plates? If not, I'll come too! Polish food isn't something I've really eaten much of, but every time I see a recipe on a cooking show or in a book I somehow have cravings for it.

• #5,045
Today I visited Pierre Hermé's famous shop on Rue Boneparte in Paris to buy myself a Christmas present:

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1011551_371705809640138_551651083_n.jpg

Included are the four macarons from the Pierre Hermé Christmas Collection:

- Wild Rose Hip, Fig & Foie Gras
- Chocolate & Foie Gras
- Candied Chestnut
- Pedro Ximenez and steeped sultanas

Yes...foie gras. I've only eaten one, and it was...different. At first all I could taste was the fig, and then the foie gras hit. I do enjoy foie gras, but it was a little weird in a macaron. I also bought a white truffle and hazelnut macaron, which was amazing. This was all after waiting in line for about 40 minutes to get into the shop :eek:

• #5,046
It is already noon, and I still feel stuffed.

• #5,047
danago said:
Today I visited Pierre Hermé's famous shop on Rue Boneparte in Paris to buy myself a Christmas present:

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1011551_371705809640138_551651083_n.jpg

Included are the four macarons from the Pierre Hermé Christmas Collection:

- Wild Rose Hip, Fig & Foie Gras
- Chocolate & Foie Gras
- Candied Chestnut
- Pedro Ximenez and steeped sultanas

Yes...foie gras. I've only eaten one, and it was...different. At first all I could taste was the fig, and then the foie gras hit. I do enjoy foie gras, but it was a little weird in a macaron. I also bought a white truffle and hazelnut macaron, which was amazing. This was all after waiting in line for about 40 minutes to get into the shop :eek:
I can't imagine foie gras in a cookie.

• #5,048
Pierre Hermé is somewhat notorious for his unusual flavours, but I think this was a little too unusual. The foie gras wasn't overly strong, but it was definitely there. I didn't hate it (I finished both, after all), but the ultimate question is "would I buy them again?", and the answer is probably "no". I just enjoyed the others a lot more than I did those with foie gras.

• #5,049
danago said:
but the ultimate question is "would I buy them again?", and the answer is probably "no". I just enjoyed the others a lot more than I did those with foie gras.
Or the question could be: "should you buy it in the first place"? Foie gras is a controversial product, whose production is banned in many countries.

• #5,050
We use a lot of fresh vegetables, and often make soups or stews, and other dishes, from scratch.

My folks used to make bread and marmelade. I happened across an article on butter making, which referenced a book. I grew up with a garden, because in the early years, we had to grow much of our own food.

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1451605870/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5,051
I often make butter, just put heavy cream in a jar and shake.

• #5,052
I also like making butter at home, although I normally do it with an electric beater followed by washing and straining through cheese cloth. I would also love to be able to make my own bread (give me nice fresh bread and slightly salted butter and I am in heaven), which I have done numerous times, however I always end up going back to the bakery, partly because I don't have the time to keep up with my demand for bread, but mostly because I can never do it as well as the professional bakers.

• #5,053
hypatia said:
I often make butter, just put heavy cream in a jar and shake.
I love homemade butter, it is so much better than what you buy, and so easy to make. I had an antique mini butter churn that had belonged to my grandmother and it was accidentally thrown out along with an entire box full of antiques during a move.

• #5,054
I find anything involving emulsions fascinating.

• #5,055
I made borsch soup yesterday, good ol' russian meal, a bowl of borsch and a piroshki.

• #5,056
Lunch today: "Pizza e mortadella" from Il Fornaio in Rome. It was seriously simple yet seriously good, which is why there was a line going out the door and the inside was absolute chaos with no sense of order at all. I went in expecting to buy a slice of pizza, but saw everybody ordering this, so I asked one of the locals what it was called. I must say, great last minute change of decision :smile:

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1488011_379553392188713_1435596976_n.jpg

• #5,057
^
Yum.

• #5,058
*now* said:
^
Yum.

So so yum!

On a side note, although somewhat unrelated to food but perhaps of interest to people on this forum, I also visited the Archimedes exhibition in Rome today, at i Musei Capitolini. It wasn't a big exhibition, but featured a few pieces about his life in Siracusa, followed by an exhibition demonstrating some of his famous inventions and major scientific contributions, such as the lever, parabolic mirrors to burn ships with sunlight, the Archimedes Screw and some of his works in mathematics. It was a refreshing change from the usual visits to art museums, however there were too many school kids running around playing with the gadgets :grumpy:

For the purpose of making this post related to the thread: I had some great stracciatella ice cream after my visit to the museum.

• #5,059
I was experimenting last night and came up with General Tso's potatoes. It turned out really good. I'll definitely have to make that again.

• #5,060
Borg said:
I was experimenting last night and came up with General Tso's potatoes. It turned out really good. I'll definitely have to make that again.
I recently found a great frozen General Tso's chicken, what is your recipe for the potatoes?

• #5,061
danago said:
So so yum!

On a side note, although somewhat unrelated to food but perhaps of interest to people on this forum, I also visited the Archimedes exhibition in Rome today, at i Musei Capitolini. It wasn't a big exhibition, but featured a few pieces about his life in Siracusa, followed by an exhibition demonstrating some of his famous inventions and major scientific contributions, such as the lever, parabolic mirrors to burn ships with sunlight, the Archimedes Screw and some of his works in mathematics. It was a refreshing change from the usual visits to art museums, however there were too many school kids running around playing with the gadgets :grumpy:

For the purpose of making this post related to the thread: I had some great stracciatella ice cream after my visit to the museum.
danago, I absolutely love your posts!

• #5,062
danago said:
Lunch today: "Pizza e mortadella" from Il Fornaio in Rome. It was seriously simple yet seriously good, which is why there was a line going out the door and the inside was absolute chaos with no sense of order at all. I went in expecting to buy a slice of pizza, but saw everybody ordering this, so I asked one of the locals what it was called. I must say, great last minute change of decision :smile:

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1488011_379553392188713_1435596976_n.jpg

Hmm... That looks like a bologna sandwich.

google google google

Focaccia croccante con mortadella e stracchino = "Crispy focaccia with mortadella and soft cheese" per google translate

I know what "focaccia" is, but what is "mortadella"?

google google google

MORTADELLA
Known as the “Italian Bologna”

It is a bologna sandwich.

Though it looks infinitely tastier than the bologna sandwiches I'm familiar with.

Thanks!

• #5,063
Doesn't look that tasty in the picture - looks too dry.

• #5,064
Evo said:
I recently found a great frozen General Tso's chicken, what is your recipe for the potatoes?
I diced and fried two large potatoes. When it was nearly done, I added about a 1/8 cup of General Tso sauce and 1/8 cup of barbeque sauce. Pretty simple really.

• #5,065
lendav_rott said:
Doesn't look that tasty in the picture - looks too dry.

I thought the same, until I looked at the pictures in the link I provided.

If I could read Italian, I'd probably be making it right now.

Odd that Evo is listed as an ingredient: 10 grams Olio Evo
:tongue:

• #5,066
Todays dinner - đuveč, just purely vegetarian version. Perfect!

• #5,067
OmCheeto said:
I thought the same, until I looked at the pictures in the link I provided.

If I could read Italian, I'd probably be making it right now.

Odd that Evo is listed as an ingredient: 10 grams Olio Evo
:tongue:

Happy to translate it if you'd like :smile:

• #5,068
danago said:
Happy to translate it if you'd like :smile:

Not necessary. I really don't have time to cook. Just keep posting. :smile:

• #5,069
Borek said:
Todays dinner - đuveč, just purely vegetarian version. Perfect!

Thank god, it comes in a can. :smile:

http://www.podravka.com/repository/images/_variations/1/4/1441524c6c4ddb9a916fea3bc3979563_content_medium_noaspect.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5,070
mortadella looks more like this, it has a lot of fat.

mortadella_slice_b.JPG

• #5,071
Evo said:
mortadella looks more like this, it has a lot of fat.

mortadella_slice_b.JPG

My mother used to buy some "bologna" looking stuff from the local butcher shop. It took me almost 3 minutes of googling to figure out what it was called: Leberkäse!

It has neither liver(leber), nor cheese(käse) as ingredients, but does include corned beef, pork, onions, and, wait for it... Bacon!

It's been at least 20 years since I've eaten it.

--------------------------
ps. Evo, that looks more like Blutwurst. One of only two foods on the planet I will never again go near.
pps. Do not google it. You will never unsee it. You have been warned.
ppps. I just threw up. See!
pppps. OMG. It looks like this is a popular dish around the world.
ppppps. per wiki: "Blood sausages are very difficult to find in American supermarkets"
pppppps. GOOD! And let's keep it that way!

• #5,072
OmCheeto said:
My mother used to buy some "bologna" looking stuff from the local butcher shop. It took me almost 3 minutes of googling to figure out what it was called: Leberkäse!

It has neither liver(leber), nor cheese(käse) as ingredients, but does include corned beef, pork, onions, and, wait for it... Bacon!

It's been at least 20 years since I've eaten it.

--------------------------
ps. Evo, that looks more like Blutwurst. One of only two foods on the planet I will never again go near.
pps. Do not google it. You will never unsee it. You have been warned.
ppps. I just threw up. See!
pppps. OMG. It looks like this is a popular dish around the world.
ppppps. per wiki: "Blood sausages are very difficult to find in American supermarkets"
pppppps. GOOD! And let's keep it that way!
I love blood sausage. When i was little my mother used to buy blood sausage with tongue, so you had theis black sausage with this pink thing in the middle. The tongue was the best part.

Leberkäse sounds very yummy.

• #5,073
Evo said:
I love blood sausage. When i was little my mother used to buy blood sausage with tongue, so you had theis black sausage with this pink thing in the middle. The tongue was the best part.

Leberkäse sounds very yummy.

I've had blood sausage, but have never tried tongue. What is the texture like? I'd prefer not to bite into my own tongue to find out.

• #5,074
I had chorizo sausage slices, fried with scallops and served over fries with a garlic and smoked paprika aioli sauce.

• #5,075
<h2>What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?</h2><p>1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.</p><p>2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.</p><p>3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.</p><p>4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?</p><p>No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.</p><p>5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.</p>

What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?

The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.

2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.

3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.

4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?

No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.

5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.