What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,871
Evo said:
Oooh, that sounds lovely!
And it is so easy! Really, it only took a minute or two to put it together.

000511890_001_FRAL0812060_300.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,872
Monique said:

*DROOOL*

You know it never occurred to me that I might put on weight because I read PF. :

• #2,873
Monique said:

I want one. :cry:

• #2,874
Evo said:
I want one. :cry:

I'm making one... or eight... whatever I can manage to cram down my pie hole before my girlfriend catches and kills me for them. :tongue:

• #2,875
Monique said:
Anyway, I made a delicious apple ball:

Take an apple, peel it and remove the core.
Take a square of puff-pastry and put some beaten egg on it, together with a layer of sugar, cinnamon and some zest of a lemon.
Place the apple on the middle of the square and fill the core of the apple with a mixture of almond paste and raisins (that were hydrated in hot water or liquor).
Fold the puff-pastry so that it encloses the apple and cover with some egg and some more sugar.
Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes and enjoy :smile:
My mom used to make baked apples. She'd core the apple and fill it with mixture of chopped apple, flour, currants and sultanas, cinammon (maybe allspice too) and sugar, and bake them. I don't know about nuts though. I'll have to get her recipe. They produced a nice juice and had a wonderful spicy apple taste. We'd eat them with vanilla ice cream.

I will definitely have to try apple balls.

I think soaking the raisins, currants or sultanas in rum would make for a nice dish.

I also love rum cake.

• #2,876
Astronuc said:
My mom used to make baked apples. She'd core the apple and fill it with mixture of chopped apple, flour, currants and sultanas, cinammon (maybe allspice too) and sugar, and bake them. I don't know about nuts though. I'll have to get her recipe. They produced a nice juice and had a wonderful spicy apple taste. We'd eat them with vanilla ice cream.

I will definitely have to try apple balls.

I think soaking the raisins, currants or sultanas in rum would make for a nice dish.

I also love rum cake.

I had a roommate years ago who made something similar to this...not in an apple, but in a sweet onion! It sounds strange but it really was delicious. Oh it had butter too :smile:.

• #2,877
nismaratwork said:
*DROOOL*

You know it never occurred to me that I might put on weight because I read PF. :
Funny you mention this. PF has helped me gain several pounds over the years. Mostly from beer though. :redface:

• #2,878
dlgoff said:
Funny you mention this. PF has helped me gain several pounds over the years. Mostly from beer though. :redface:

Ha! I can see how that would happen... now I'm torn between baked apples or onions. I think a nice porter would go well with a baked onion, and probably be about a million calories combined... a million sweeeet buttery caramelized calories.

• #2,879
OK nismar, I'm going to ruin your diet right now. Get a couple of large cloves of fresh garlic and put them in a preheated oven on a cookie sheet with a potato. When the baked potato is done, split it and mash the center a bit. Nip off the ends of the baked garlic cloves and squeeze the now-soft garlic into the baked potato. Add salt, pepper, and some butter to the potato and then cram in some nice sharp cheddar and pop that sucker back into the oven until the cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Better make extras! My wife had a bad case of the flu about 30 years ago and I couldn't get her to eat anything until I came up with this easy treat. Then, the garlic/cheese potatoes became a staple. They are SO good.

• #2,880
turbo-1 said:
OK nismar, I'm going to ruin your diet right now. Get a couple of large cloves of fresh garlic and put them in a preheated oven on a cookie sheet with a potato. When the baked potato is done, split it and mash the center a bit. Nip off the ends of the baked garlic cloves and squeeze the now-soft garlic into the baked potato. Add salt, pepper, and some butter to the potato and then cram in some nice sharp cheddar and pop that sucker back into the oven until the cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Better make extras! My wife had a bad case of the flu about 30 years ago and I couldn't get her to eat anything until I came up with this easy treat. Then, the garlic/cheese potatoes became a staple. They are SO good.

Oh god that sounds absolutely amazing. That said, when I die from cardiac failure my estate is suing this thread. :tongue:

One of my favorite potato applications is: boil in salted water, sweat some onions, then add smashed garlic and sautee... finish with freshly grated horseradish. Mash it all together with the potatoes and enough cream and butter to stun a rhino at a dozen paces. I recommend this with lamb or steak.

• #2,881
nismaratwork said:
Oh god that sounds absolutely amazing. That said, when I die from cardiac failure my estate is suing this thread. :tongue:
I hope Greg can withstand the damages. :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
One of my favorite potato applications is: boil in salted water, sweat some onions, then add smashed garlic and sautee... finish with freshly grated horseradish. Mash it all together with the potatoes and enough cream and butter to stun a rhino at a dozen paces. I recommend this with lamb or steak.
Whenever my wife or I make mashed potatoes, we boil them with the skins on, along with onions and peeled garlic cloves. Drain, mash everything, add salt, pepper, and butter and serve. Mmmm! My grandmother would have insisted on adding heavy cream before mashing, but she was a product of Depression-Era farm culture. I ate more butter and cream when I stayed with them (a week or two each summer) than I ever got at home. My grandfather was a heavy-equipment mechanic, tall and strong as an ox, and he burned it off. He had cream and berries on his cereal every morning before he got his fried eggs, bacon, buttered toast etc, ate a heavy lunch and supper, and polished off a big bowl of French vanilla ice cream every night.

He was lean and hard as a rock all his life.

• #2,882
nismaratwork said:
Sounds like a woman with fine taste and excellent taco skills. You sir, are a lucky man.

Heh, well, yes, but I'm the cook around here, and that ain't saying much! :biggrin: I do, however, make a very fine taco. I thought I should learn how to cook at least one of the major food groups.

Toast and cereal are about the extent of my wife's cooking. She used to cook, but I'm lucky if I can get her near a stove once a year now.

• #2,883
nismaratwork said:
That sounds delicious! You're my kind of man!

Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, well, yes, but I'm the cook around here, and that ain't saying much! :biggrin: I do, however, make a very fine taco. I thought I should learn how to cook at least one of the major food groups.

Toast and cereal are about the extent of my wife's cooking. She used to cook, but I'm lucky if I can get her near a stove once a year now.
I know you cook an awesome steak too!

My girls favorite potato dish are my "care free" potatoes. Potatoes looking like they "don't care". This was a dish their father's mother made that my ex "taught" to me. It's a bit labor intensive, instead of just chopping or slicing up the potato, you have to keep turning it and slicing off odd shaped pieces in approximately the same size. Knowing his mother, it was her lack of cooking skills, she probably just randomly hacked the potatoes apart.

Anyway, you should have randomly shaped pieces of potatoes no larger than a quarter in size. Melt a stick or more of butter in a large skillet, throw in some thinly sliced onions, the potatoes, salt and pepper, and toss and cook until the onions are caramelized and the potatoes are evenly browned. I like to get them a bit crispy before serving. Oddly the bizare shapes do seem to create different textures and flavors that you won't get with traditional chopped/sliced potatoes.

• #2,884
My daughter made a leek, potato, sausage, carrot and kale soup this evening. It really good, especially given how cool it has become. She added some chicken broth and some half-and-half to make it creamy. The sausage is a sweet Italian type, mildly spiced.

• #2,885
Astronuc said:
My daughter made a leek, potato, sausage, carrot and kale soup this evening. It really good, especially given how cool it has become. She added some chicken broth and some half-and-half to make it creamy. The sausage is a sweet Italian type, mildly spiced.
YUM! Do you have a recipe?

• #2,886
Evo said:
YUM! Do you have a recipe?
It was bascially scratch, but I'll see if I can reconstruct the process including quantities of ingredients and the order in which they were added.

I've made sausage and potatoes with peppers and onions (one could use leek with or instead of onions), but without adding as much water or broth as for soup. One could add celery too.

We've done kale and potato soup before.

Here's an example - POTATO AND KALE SOUP (CALDO VERDE)
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1648,151172-226199,00.html

another variation - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1648,151172-227199,00.html

yet another - NEW BEDFORD PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1848,128185-241194,00.html

I usually brown the sausage separately, then add onion (leek), and sliced or chopped potato (irregular shapes about the size of quarters or half dollars - like mother-in-law). Adding carrots is optional. If making soup, one can add sausage and ingredients to a pot, add kale, and then add water/broth.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,887
I've recently rediscoved Hummus. It's the pasty stuff they put in peta bread sandwiches. I spread it on Boogotti or toast. Sabra brand is what I found wonderful. Then I bought Tribe brand which is much too tart with much too much added citric acid in my taste.

For me it's all about the garlic. The hummus is the perfect medium for the garlic. The boogotti is for the hummus so you have something to chew on.

• #2,888
Phrak said:
I've recently rediscoved Hummus. It's the pasty stuff they put in peta bread sandwiches. I spread it on Boogotti or toast. Sabra brand is what I found wonderful. Then I bought Tribe brand which is much too tart with much too much added citric acid in my taste.

For me it's all about the garlic. The hummus is the perfect medium for the garlic. The boogotti is for the hummus so you have something to chew on.

Just snag some chick-peas, tahini, fresh lemon, garlic, and you can make your own in about 2 minutes. You can then make it exactly as you like it!

Edit: I recommend the use of cooked garlic (cut bulb in half, olive oil, bake until soft) as the base garlic flavor, then smashed fresh garlic for zing. Go easy on the tahini and taste often. I also find that a little parsley can add some mellow flavors to it. For an awesome sandwich, snag some feta or halumi cheese, pan fry it (tiny amount of olive oil) in 1/2 inch slices until well browned, then slice it like steak, tomato, onion, homemade hummus on pita.Oh yeah, my Kuwaiti pals usually eat some pickled radish and beets along with some cornichons... really REALLY good. If you like hummus, have you tried tzatziki? It's a Greek yogurt sauce... yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon juice.

Last edited:
  • #2,889
Phrak said:

I love Sabra products. Here are some recipes - http://www.sabra.com/recipes

• #2,890
Astronuc said:
I love Sabra products. Here are some recipes - http://www.sabra.com/recipes

Sabra is the crack of the store-brand hummus world... their garlic with the sprinkle of garlic on top?... oh god.

• #2,891
I opened a bottle of Melinda's Jalapeno Ketchup this morning to dress up my fried potatoes. That is the best ketchup I have ever tasted. Nice and thick with chunks of chilies...

• #2,892
Sabra has a hummus topped with spicy pepper sauce... only the sauce isn't spicy :smile: I always add my own.

Today I baked up some more fruit. I had some hand pears that weren't too juicy lying around. I decided to caramelize them in butter and sugar with some cinnamon, yumm! It feels like christmas :biggrin:

• #2,893
Breakfast:

- 2 glasses of milk
- 1 glass of orange juice
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 whole wheat bread ham sandwich
- 5 bananas with 80g of granola
- 2 eggs + sliced ham

pre-lunch:

- 1 protein shake
- 3 protein bars
- fruit salad (optional)

lunch:

- 350-500g of meat
- vegetables, legumes, salads, fruits
- 2-4 glasses of milk
- 4 eggs

pre-dinner:

- 1 protein shake
- 3 protein bars
- fruit salad (optional)

dinner:

similar to lunch, but recipes may vary.

post-dinner:

- 1 protein shake
- 1 maltodextrin shake
- 3 protein bars (optional)
- fruit salad (optional)

• #2,894
Looks like a recipe for

fat_man_large.jpg

• #2,895
Yah, guys, Sabra has all kinds of cool humus variants. They also have tahini without the humus. I tried it though like the humus better. They also make an egg plant spread I haven't tried.I baked my first cake today---well, yesterday, from scratch: Yellow cake with cream frosting. Since my 8 yr old has show some interest, since 3 or 4, mixing-up mysterious concoctions in the kitchen, we gave it a shot. It was a fine disaster. The dough didn't rise enough and the frosting had a double dose of salt. We stuck three candles in it and sang happy-birthday to my wife. I think she appreciated the effort.

Last edited:
  • #2,896
Borek said:
Looks like a recipe for

fat_man_large.jpg

Hey, how did you get a pic of my friend Gustav?! :wink:

• #2,897
Je m'appelle said:
Breakfast:

- 2 glasses of milk
- 1 glass of orange juice
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 whole wheat bread ham sandwich
- 5 bananas with 80g of granola
- 2 eggs + sliced ham

pre-lunch:

- 1 protein shake
- 3 protein bars
- fruit salad (optional)

lunch:

- 350-500g of meat
- vegetables, legumes, salads, fruits
- 2-4 glasses of milk
- 4 eggs

pre-dinner:

- 1 protein shake
- 3 protein bars
- fruit salad (optional)

dinner:

similar to lunch, but recipes may vary.

post-dinner:

- 1 protein shake
- 1 maltodextrin shake
- 3 protein bars (optional)
- fruit salad (optional)

And what's this regime for? An Olympic weight-lifter? Even when I was running all over the place in college, playing intermurals, running 5 miles every other day, and walking about 2 miles a day all over campus, I NEVER ate this much food.

I never ate even half this much food.

• #2,898
mugaliens said:
And what's this regime for? An Olympic weight-lifter? Even when I was running all over the place in college, playing intermurals, running 5 miles every other day, and walking about 2 miles a day all over campus, I NEVER ate this much food.

I never ate even half this much food.

I'm currently on a weightlifting program, with muscle hypertrophy as a goal, though I don't intend to become a professional bodybuilder or even get that much muscle mass, the diet must be pretty rough in order to achieve considerable results. I'm currently in a "bulking" phase, which means I'm gaining mass, so I have to eat like a monster.

• #2,899
Je m'appelle said:
I'm currently on a weightlifting program, with muscle hypertrophy as a goal, though I don't intend to become a professional bodybuilder or even get that much muscle mass, the diet must be pretty rough in order to achieve considerable results. I'm currently in a "bulking" phase, which means I'm gaining mass, so I have to eat like a monster.
You're posting in the wrong thread, this thread is about recipes, cooking methods, cooking untensils, books and tv shows about cooking.

I hope you realize that what you are eating is potentially harmful to your internal organs and you should only do this under constant supervision of a real doctor.

Last edited:
  • #2,900
How to select fruits and vegetables

Do we have any hints? I know how to pick a good watermelon but that's about it - thump and listen for the hollow sound. In particular I would like to know any tricks to picking red and green bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Also, apples, oranges, pears.

• #2,901
How can you go wrong with bell peppers? The onions and the garlic need to be firm and I always look out that the onions are not moldy.

I have no clue about apples, oranges and pears. I'm never too lucky with those (that's why they get baked into deserts). For some reason grapefruits are always juicy and full of flavor, so I always go with those instead of the oranges.

• #2,902
Monique said:
How can you go wrong with bell peppers?
My wife has a (mild) anaphylactic reaction to bell peppers.

Bell peppers are the "filler" of modern meals. They are in EVerything.

Eating anywhere other than home is a Herculean task of communicating with waitpersons and cafeteria staff.

Oh, and what doesn't have peppers in it has eggs in it. Guess what else she has an allergy to?

• #2,904
DaveC426913 said:
My wife has a (mild) anaphylactic reaction to bell peppers.

Bell peppers are the "filler" of modern meals. They are in EVerything.

Eating anywhere other than home is a Herculean task of communicating with waitpersons and cafeteria staff.

Oh, and what doesn't have peppers in it has eggs in it. Guess what else she has an allergy to?
That's too bad, it's really puzzling why the human body can have such an exaggerated reaction to products that are completely harmless. I've found myself reacting badly to certain food items this past week, I'm not sure what happened :confused:

The good thing this week was that I made a vegetarian meal for a notoriously critical person and he said "I would become a vegetarian, if I could get food like this every day". Can't get a better compliment [URL]http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/veryhappy.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,905
I share food with a vegetarian. I made a huge batch of stuff out of peppers and garlic when cleaning out the garden, with every kind of peppers from roaring-hot habaneros all the way to ripe bell peppers, and LOTS of fresh Russian garlic. I put in all kinds of our fresh basil, dill, and scallions, too, and processed the stuff until it was just short of a "sauce", but not as chunky as my regular chili relish. It is killer on hot-dogs, and as a source of spice, richness, and heat for pizza sauce, so my neighbor can use it to dress up the faux-meats that he will eat. Tonight, my wife is making a big batch of spaghetti sauce using my home-made marinara as the base, and the chili-garlic sauce for "piquant"ness. I LOVE my garden and kitchen.

Edit: If I could stand (medically) being in the presence of people wearing fragranced products, I wouldn't mind starting a mini "nom nom" truck serving bowls of chili, soup, sandwiches, burgers, dogs, etc (with my home-made condiments, of course). I'd hit a large town nearby around lunch-time and take orders on my cell-phone so people could dash in for quick pick-ups. There is just such a truck for sale locally, but it is more heavily geared toward deep-frying and grilling (State Fair food). I'd have to have about 1/2 grill and 1/2 range to make it work.

Last edited: