What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,186
As an aside, my mother (French-Canadian ancestry) insisted on lengthwise slicing (Julienne cut) when preparing raw green beens for steaming and/or canning. I remember sitting there at the table with my favorite knife (a well-worn German paring knife) slicing and slicing as we canned gallons of beans. That's not a tradition that I continue. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,187
nismaratwork said:
Brown some butter in a pan, toss in sliced almonds and toast them a bit... then in go the beans, salt, pepper to taste. Serve. THAT is how you treat really good string beans.
Thx Nismar :) I'll try it.
Evo said:
My mother was French and my grandmother was English, so I grew up not knowing what a "casserole" was. They both cooked from scratch, although my mother tried to add some "american" food for my brother so he'd be accepted by his friends. I got the yummy snails, liver, and odd and exotic foods.

I think I was in my 20's when I went somewhere that someone served the traditional green bean casserole from campbell's, and to be honest, it's not bad. I had never heard of it. It's not something I've ever made or would, I'm not a fan of canned green beans, but it's not what a lot of food snobs say either. (I am a food snob, btw). Growing up we only had fresh green beans cooked with salt pork, onions, and new potatoes. I thought those were the world's best until I had the green beans stir fried with sesame oil at the chinese counter at the grocery store.

Thx Evo...it really looks gross to me (as I already said lol). I've never had the green beans stir fried either...actually I've never seen it on the menu anywhere, I'll have to look around, it sounds good.

• #3,188
HeLiXe said:
actually I've never seen it on the menu anywhere, I'll have to look around, it sounds good.
I've never seen them anywhere else, they just toss fresh green beans into a wok with some garlic, maybe ginger and sesame oil and toss them for a second in the hot oil. Wonderful.

• #3,189
Need to throw something together last-minute for your New Year's party? Here's something that never fails.

Get out your mixer, and mix taco seasoning into cream cheese, adding enough sour cream to get a smooth dippable consistency. Spread that mix on a platter, and coat it with a nice layer of salsa. Then top that with finely chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cukes - any crisp vegetables that you want. Top the vegetables with a layer of shredded Monterey Jack, cover, and slip the platter into the fridge to chill. When it's time for the party take out that platter, and set it on the table with a big bowl of Doritos or other corn chips. That stuff is always a hit! If you don't have the ingredients on-hand, you still have time to get to the corner market. I prefer hot salsa, but some "sensitive" individuals don't really dig in unless you use medium. For large groups with children, my wife uses a jar of Newman's Own medium.

• #3,190
I don't like any brand of salsa, it all tastes nasty when it's processed. I'll only eat freshly made salsa.

This dip is my favorite.

Tex-Mex Dip

Ingredients:

1 regular size can of Fritos brand Jalapeno bean dip
2-3 med avocados, 1/4 lemon, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, salt & pepper (or 1 can frozen Calavos guacamole)
1 8oz carton of sour cream (1 cup)
1/2 cup Hellman's Mayonaise
1 pkg taco seasoning (McCormick's or Lawry's works best)
8 oz grated colby or cheddar cheese
4-5 green onions (chopped)
1-2 tomatoes chopped and seeded
small can chopped or sliced black olives (optional)

8"x8" serving dish

1st layer: Spread one can jalepeno bean dip evenly over bottom of dish

2nd layer: In separate bowl, mash together avocadoes, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper to taste (or use thawed guacamole) spread evenly over bean dip layer

3rd layer: In separate bowl, mix the sour cream, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1 package taco seasoning mix together. Spread evenly over guacamole layer.

4th layer: Sprinkle chopped tomato, green onions and black olives evenly over top.

5th layer: sprinkle with cheese

Here is the Holiday Food thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=103694

Last edited:
  • #3,191
Evo said:
I don't like any brand of salsa, it all tastes nasty when it's processed. I'll only eat freshly made salsa.
We make ours fresh all during the garden season with tomatoes, chilies, sweet peppers, scallions, onions (sometimes cukes) and fresh cilantro. Second-best is my home-made canned stuff. I haven't had a taste of commercially-made salsa in years. I included that recipe only as a quick-and-dirty party treat.

My wife took a big tray of that stuff to work for her team's Xmas dinner, and everybody was asking for a recipe. It's popular stuff. The important layer is the chopped vegetables - lay it on good.

• #3,192
I have to say, I agreed with you Evo, for years... but Newman's really is delicious in my view. God... this thread is adding a day to my workout regime each week just in cooking trials and "snacking".

• #3,193
Is it safe to assume that everyone has their black eyed peas and greens for New Year's Day?

• #3,195
nismaratwork said:
...this thread is adding a day to my workout regime each week just in cooking trials and "snacking".

I haven't been on a cooking kick lately, but I have a ton of stuff to try from this thread, including your orange beef.

• #3,196
OMG, hot dog sushi is da bomb! I went a bit too heavy on the wasabi, I swear flames were coming out of my nose, but oh so good!

• #3,197
Evo said:

This dip is my favorite.

Tex-Mex Dip

Ingredients:

1 regular size can of Fritos brand Jalapeno bean dip
2-3 med avocados, 1/4 lemon, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, salt & pepper (or 1 can frozen Calavos guacamole)
1 8oz carton of sour cream (1 cup)
1/2 cup Hellman's Mayonaise
1 pkg taco seasoning (McCormick's or Lawry's works best)
8 oz grated colby or cheddar cheese
4-5 green onions (chopped)
1-2 tomatoes chopped and seeded
small can chopped or sliced black olives (optional)

8"x8" serving dish

1st layer: Spread one can jalepeno bean dip evenly over bottom of dish

2nd layer: In separate bowl, mash together avocadoes, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper to taste (or use thawed guacamole) spread evenly over bean dip layer

3rd layer: In separate bowl, mix the sour cream, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1 package taco seasoning mix together. Spread evenly over guacamole layer.

4th layer: Sprinkle chopped tomato, green onions and black olives evenly over top.

5th layer: sprinkle with cheese

Here is the Holiday Food thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=103694

STOP! You had me at avocados:biggrin: This sounds good Evo. I like to make the basic salsa; tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lemon juice, and I forget the culinary term for when you roast something until the outer layer is well done or burnt (is it sear) well I do that with the green peppers and rub off the skin...it comes out good.

• #3,198
HeLiXe said:
STOP! You had me at avocados:biggrin: This sounds good Evo. I like to make the basic salsa; tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lemon juice, and I forget the culinary term for when you roast something until the outer layer is well done or burnt (is it sear) well I do that with the green peppers and rub off the skin...it comes out good.
That would be charring the skin off.

Salsa is so simple to make that if you're going to the store, why would you spend $4 on old bottled stuff? Since I'll put fresh salsa on everything (if I don't just eat it straight, right out of the bowl) it nevers lasts long enough to go bad. Fresh salsa on eggs, on baked potatoes, mmmmmmm.

• #3,199
Evo said:
That would be charring the skin off.

Salsa is so simple to make that if you're going to the store, why would you spend $4 on old bottled stuff? Since I'll put fresh salsa on everything (if I don't just eat it straight, right out of the bowl) it nevers lasts long enough to go bad. Fresh salsa on eggs, on baked potatoes, mmmmmmm.

Thx for the term Evo :biggrin: I learned how to make it in North Africa of all places, they have a shlada that is the same as salsa lol...I think they put garlic too though. It is also really good with grilled ground beef with cumin and salt.

• #3,200
HeLiXe said:
Thx for the term Evo :biggrin: I learned how to make it in North Africa of all places, they have a shlada that is the same as salsa lol...I think they put garlic too though. It is also really good with grilled ground beef with cumin and salt.
mmmmm, yes it is.

• #3,201
HeLiXe said:
The first time I had wasabi with sushi, I thought it was avocado...and I LOVE avocado...
AND I was trying to be cool about it lol with tears streaming down from my face while I was coughing..."It's alright, I'm okay"

a.k.a. devils avocado

• #3,202
ahaha

Nice.

Have you been waiting a year for that opportunity? :biggrin:

• #3,203
DaveC426913 said:
Have you been waiting a year for that opportunity? :biggrin:

Telepathy!? !?

(:biggrin:)

• #3,204
I was looking for a twsit on black eyed peas and greens for New Year's day and found this. I'm going to try it, although not having carrots or leeks, I'll have to twist it a bit. There is no need to presoak black eyed peas for those of you that aren't familiar with them. For you food heathens that buy canned beans (shudder), you can substitute canned but, in order to cook long enough to infuse them with flavor, they'll probably be a bit mushy.

Black-eyed peas, spinach and lemon

Serves two (with rice on the side)

200g dried black-eyed peas (or beans)

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

3 cloves garlic, sliced

2 bay leaves

1 chilli, sliced

1 heaped tbsp ground cumin

1 large red onion, diced

1 heaped tbsp smoked paprika

1 stick celery, sliced

Half a leek, sliced

1 large carrot, cut lengthways, sliced

150g baby spinach, washed

Juice of a lemon

Bunch flat parsley, washed, chopped

Salt and pepper

Soak the beans overnight in cold water. Drain and put in a saucepan with twice as much fresh water than beans and a few bean friends (not from the ingredients list - just whatever you have around: onion, bay, garlic, a chilli, tomato). Cook for around an hour.

When the beans are nearly soft, warm the olive oil in a thick-bottomed pot and sizzle the garlic, bay and chilli for a few seconds on a medium heat.

Add the cumin, onion, carrot, leek, celery and paprika, then cook with lid on for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften and brown.

Discard any bean friends, then add the beans and remaining cooking liquor, some salt, and, if necessary, more hot water to cover the lot.

Simmer for 20-30 minutes on a medium heat with the lid off until the liquid only coats the beans. Remove from heat, stir in the parsley, lemon juice and two-thirds of the spinach so that it wilts. Check the seasoning and serve with the rest of the spinach, a blob of yoghurt, a splash of olive oil and a wedge of lemon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/apr/16/recipe.foodanddrink

• #3,205
I'm going to try that recipe today, Evo, it looks great.

:redface: When I first read "200g black eyed peas" I didn't see the "g" and I thought, I have to count them?!

Edit...bean friends, lol...

• #3,206
lisab said:
I'm going to try that recipe today, Evo, it looks great.

:redface: When I first read "200g black eyed peas" I didn't see the "g" and I thought, I have to count them?!

Edit...bean friends, lol...

at: bolded: Right? :rofl: I love that line.

Evo: Write a cookbook!

• #3,207
Instead of soaking the beans for a night you can put them into cold water, cook till they go up, remove from the fire, wait till they go back to the bottom, then cook as if they were soaked.

• #3,208
I've started mine. Got the bean friends in step one.

• #3,209
DevilsAvocado said:
a.k.a. devils avocado

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I LOVE Devil's avocado:tongue2:

Guess what everyone...I made philly cheesesteak today that was edible and I took it even a step further...it tasted good!

• #3,210
HeLiXe said:
Guess what everyone...I made philly cheesesteak today that was edible and I took it even a step further...it tasted good!
YAY!, Now you can make me an omelette AND a philly cheesesteak!

Last edited:
  • #3,211
Evo said:
YAY!, Now you can make me an omelette AND a philly cheesesteak!

AND I have cholula sauce Evo which I think is so good with a southwestern omelette with salsa, asadero and steak :biggrin:

I even have pure sodium and some chlorine :biggrin: I'd be happy to make table salt for you:tongue2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx5JJWI2aaw

• #3,212
My wife made a New England boiled dinner for our late lunch. She used my basic process, but added some habanero ketchup and mustard to the red wine. It was wonderful. You could cut that cheap chuck roast with a serving spoon.

• #3,213
I like skirt steak <3 esp with balsamic tomatoes w red onions and toasted garlic bread

• #3,214
HeLiXe said:
AND I have cholula sauce Evo which I think is so good with a southwestern omelette with salsa, asadero and steak :biggrin:
Evo Child's favorite.

[quoteI even have pure sodium and some chlorine :biggrin: I'd be happy to make table salt for you:tongue2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx5JJWI2aaw [/QUOTE]No one has ever offered to make me salt before. :eek:

• #3,215
Oh... I just had a fire-grilled pizza... the real deal on my grill. I am soooooo full, so happy.

Balsamic and steak is amazing...

• #3,216
HeLiXe said:
I like skirt steak <3 esp with balsamic tomatoes w red onions and toasted garlic bread
Skirt steak is wonderful. It generally has enough fat to supply its own grease for pan-searing.

• #3,217
Evo said:
No one has ever offered to make me salt before. :eek:
WHAT!:eek: This world is full of losers.
nismaratwork said:
Oh... I just had a fire-grilled pizza... the real deal on my grill. I am soooooo full, so happy.

Balsamic and steak is amazing...
*has never had fire grilled pizza*
turbo-1 said:
Skirt steak is wonderful. It generally has enough fat to supply its own grease for pan-searing.

I'll try that next time...I *ALWAYS* mess it up -_-

• #3,218
I'd say that a pizza on a grill is how a home cook gets the heat needed to cook pizza as it's meant to. You can grill it using bricks to make an ambient "oven", or right on the grill for a kind of smoky flavor. I love the latter especially, which is best with Mediterranean toppings, much as sausage was made for deep-dish.

• #3,219
nismaratwork said:
I'd say that a pizza on a grill is how a home cook gets the heat needed to cook pizza as it's meant to. You can grill it using bricks to make an ambient "oven", or right on the grill for a kind of smoky flavor. I love the latter especially, which is best with Mediterranean toppings, much as sausage was made for deep-dish.
I just don't like the bottom of the crust burned black. I'll send it back if it's charred, the charcoal taste from the burn will immediately overpower anything on the pizza. I see people on tv being handed burned pizza at these hoity toity places and you can tell from the looks on their faces that as soon as the camera tuurns away, they're going to spit it out.

Grilled pizza done properly is great.

• #3,220
Evo said:
I just don't like the bottom of the crust burned black. I'll send it back if it's charred, the charcoal taste from the burn will immediately overpower anything on the pizza. I see people on tv being handed burned pizza at these hoity toity places and you can tell from the looks on their faces that as soon as the camera tuurns away, they're going to spit it out.

Grilled pizza done properly is great.

I'll agree with every word you've said; I prefer my pizza with a minimum of Carbon, and a maximum flavor. Yes... flavor... TO THE MAX *80's guitar lick*. OK, I'm better now.

Yeah, a good fire-grilled pizza is like any other fire-grilled food: not charred. I find the trick is to grill both sides of the dough, top, then finish with less direct heat in a covered grill. Grilled pizza with grilled veggies... mmmmmm.