Cosine Fourier seires of cosh(t-1)

In summary, the cosine Fourier series of period 2 for the function f(t) = cosh(t-1) in the range 0≤t≤1 is given by cosh(t-1) = sinh(1)[1 + 2∑(cos(nπt)/n^2π^2+1)]. The values of the sum ∑(n^2π^2+1)^-1 over odd n and even n can be deduced by setting t=0 and t=1 respectively. However, there was a transposition error in the calculation and the correct answer for the sum over even n is (3-e)/(4(e-1)).
Benny
Hi, can someone give me some help with the following?

The cosine Fourier series of period 2 for the function f(t) that takes the form f(t) = cosh(t-1) in the range [itex]0 \le t \le 1[/itex] is

[tex]
\cosh \left( {t - 1} \right) = \sinh \left( 1 \right)\left[ {1 + 2\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\cos \left( {n\pi t} \right)}}{{n^2 \pi ^2 + 1}}} } \right]
[/tex]

Setting t = 0 yields

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n^2 \pi ^2 + 1}}} = \frac{1}{{e^2 - 1}}[/tex]...(1)

I need to deduce the values of the sum [tex]\sum\limits_{}^{} {\left( {n^2 \pi ^2 + 1} \right)^{ - 1} } [/tex] over odd n and even n.

I tried setting t = 1 so that I could evaluate the sum

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n }}{{n^2 \pi ^2 + 1}}}
[/tex]...(2)

Once I did that, I added (2) to (1) and it looked like I would end up with just twice the sum of the even terms since the odd terms cancel. But that's not right since I don't get the correct answer when I divide the result by 2. Can someone suggest a way to do calculate the sum over odd n and over even n? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly sounds like it should work. What did you get (2) equal to and what did you get for the sum of even terms? Since you say "I didn't get the correct answer" I assume you have an answer key. What is the "correct answer"?

I found that

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n }}{{1 + \pi ^2 n^2 }}} = \frac{e}{{e^2 - 1}} - \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

So that the required sum (over even n) as I thought it would be is:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\left[ {\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n }}{{1 + \pi ^2 n^2 }}} + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{1 + \pi ^2 n^2 }}} } \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2}\left[ {\frac{e}{{e^2 - 1}} - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{{e^2 - 1}}} \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2}\left[ {\frac{1}{{e - 1}} - \frac{1}{2}} \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2}\left( {\frac{{3 - e}}{{2\left( {e - 1} \right)}}} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{{3 - e}}{{4\left( {e - 1} \right)}}
[/tex]

which is the given answer for the sum over even n. It looks like a made a transposition error (forgot about a "+1") after I susbtituted t = 1 in the Fourier series. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a Cosine Fourier series?

A Cosine Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of cosine functions. It involves breaking down a function into a sum of cosine terms with different frequencies and amplitudes, allowing for a more simplified and compact representation of the original function.

2. What is the cosine Fourier series of cosh(t-1)?

The cosine Fourier series of cosh(t-1) is a representation of the function in terms of cosine terms. It can be expressed as a sum of infinite cosine terms with different coefficients, frequencies, and phases.

3. How is the cosine Fourier series of cosh(t-1) derived?

The derivation of the cosine Fourier series of cosh(t-1) involves using the properties of the cosine function and the properties of the hyperbolic cosine function. By manipulating the terms and coefficients, the series can be simplified to represent cosh(t-1) in terms of cosine functions.

4. What is the application of cosine Fourier series in real-world problems?

Cosine Fourier series have various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and vibrations. They also have applications in signal processing, image compression, and data analysis.

5. Can the cosine Fourier series of cosh(t-1) be used to approximate the original function?

Yes, the cosine Fourier series of cosh(t-1) can be used to approximate the original function within a given range. The more terms that are included in the series, the closer the approximation will be to the original function. This is useful for simplifying complex functions and making calculations easier.