Are You Ready to Celebrate Chinese New Year with Gong Xi Fa Cai?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, there is a discussion about Chinese New Year and the traditions surrounding it. Topics include the greetings "Gong Xi Fa Cai" and "Kung Hei Fat Choy", the zodiac animal of the year (monkey), and the tradition of giving red packets (hong bao). Some members share their personal experiences and traditions for the holiday, while others discuss the economy and the popularity of Chinese New Year in different countries. The conversation also includes some jokes and well wishes for the new year.
Saint
Gong Xi Fa Cai

Physics news on Phys.org
Gong Xi Fa Cai

Hong bao na lai

Kung Hei Fat Choy

利是到來 (Character coding: BIG5)

In Chinese New Year, we have to say Kung Hei Fat Choy to every person we meet.

In Chinese New Year, we have to say Kung Hei Fat Choy to every person we meet.

Not in my family, i just address them and get the red packets.

I know I am ignorant but which animal is this the year of? :wink:

Originally posted by jimmy p
I know I am ignorant but which animal is this the year of? :wink:

monkey, is a bad year for bush since he looks like a monkey.

LOL! or maybe it is a good year for monkey-lookie-likies. Maybe he will be fired or something...

I think this thread started a little bit too early. In fact The Year of Monkey will start on 22rd Jan. :smile:

My pin yin may be out of whack, but nonetheless

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Chinese New Year is actually quite a big thing from where I am from in Brunei, even though only 20% of the population celebrates it. All the shops are emblazoned in red, but then again most of the businessmen here are Chinese. Fortune tellers are saying that the year of the monkey will be a good year, but isn't that the same thing they have said about other years?

Heard that there will be something like one hundred million people moving around ('visiting relatives'...just like everyone else does) in China for this event, All of the population of Canada all moving around three times!

I am born in the year of the Monkey, '56...anyone smell banana?

Why can't your age be divisible by 12 if you're born in the year of the monkey ?

My pin yin may be out of whack, but nonetheless

Xin Nian Kuai Le!
Kung Hei Fat Choy :smile:
Your pin yin is probably better than mine cos I don't speak good Manderin. Cantonese is my mother tongue. That's why I speak Kung Hei Fat Choy (Cantonese) instead of Gong Xi Fa Cai (Manderin).

Originally posted by KLscilevothma
(SNIP) Why can't your age be divisible by 12 if you're born in the year of the monkey ? (SNoP)

Why is it difficult to divide 48 by twelve? ("Soon to come... at an MRP near you..." HUH? FOURTY EIGHT!)

Kung Hei Fat Choy!

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Heard that there will be something like one hundred million people moving around ('visiting relatives'...just like everyone else does) in China for this event, All of the population of Canada all moving around three times!

Becareful if you are a monkey in the year of Monkey... all things might have a chance to go against you, but since New Year is coming, I'm suppose to say good things.

Wish you the best fortune and luck.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Becareful if you are a monkey in the year of Monkey... all things might have a chance to go against you, but since New Year is coming, I'm suppose to say good things.
Wish you the best fortune and luck.
Thanks, heard it is a year for "Change" (Nickles?? dimes??) and same to you...BTW could you tell me what "Luck" Actually is?

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Why is it difficult to divide 48 by twelve? ("Soon to come... at an MRP near you..." HUH? FOURTY EIGHT!)
oops, I thought you meant you were 56 years old. But I just realized what you meant was that you were born in 1956.

Kung Hei Fat Choy!
:wink:

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
Hong bao na lai

Sorry, economy in malaysia is bad, this year no Ang Pow.

This isn't a good excuse. When the economy gets better, you owe me a meal. Have it fed-exed to my house.

Originally posted by Saint
Will you say this to your kid(s) ?

just had dinner with whole family members

Watching CCTV-4 right now :D

As of Wednesday, 21st of January 2004, 11.57pm, I've earned $144 currently and about 1/4 there to an iPod.

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
As of Wednesday, 21st of January 2004, 11.57pm, I've earned $144 currently and about 1/4 there to an iPod.

11:57 pm on the 21st of January? And I thought you were from Europe (which is several timezones behind Asia). Or are you visiting Asia at the moment?

Your message was posted at 10:58 pm my time. You must be in Japan/NZ/Australia, but you cannot be in Europe.

EDIT: I don't mean any offense by the postings. I am just curious.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all! The fireworks here in my neighbourhood have been going on for the last 30 minutes, and I am a little deaf in the ear now. I'm looking forward to later in the day, as we will be having the lion dance and MORE firecrackers.

Last edited:
Happy Chinese New Year! Wish you all good health and may all your wishes come true in the year of the monkey!

Bubonic Plague's clock is the same as mine. So I guess he may be in China, Singapore or Pillipine. The time now is 2am, 3 hours has already passed in the year of the monkey!

I did some shopping with my father tonight and went back home at 00.00. My neighbour detonated firecrackers not very far away from me when I just arrived home. Well, I'm not deaf yet. In fact, owning firecracker or firework is illegal here, though I feel glad to have some explosions nearby.

Once I went to mainland China to celebrate Chinese New Year. It was really fun to detonate firecrackers. My brother and I emptied the gunpowder inside several firecrackers, poured the gunpowder on the floor and ignited it. The powder then burnt like a mini-firework!

11:57 pm on the 21st of January? And I thought you were from Europe (which is several timezones behind Asia). Or are you visiting Asia at the moment?

Your message was posted at 10:58 pm my time. You must be in Japan/NZ/Australia, but you cannot be in Europe.

EDIT: I don't mean any offense by the postings. I am just curious.

None taken. I'm from Singapore.

firecrackers.

I can't believe they banned fire crackers here. Something about people being injured...

Live Long and Prosper

Kung Hei Fat Choy Ya'all.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Kung Hei Fat Choy Ya'all.
Kung Hei, Kung Hei :wink:

Yesterday, which was the first day of the year of the monkey, there's a big show here in Hong Kong. The show will be broadcast in other parts of the world, including USA. :wink:

This year, Hong Kongers really have a cheerful Chinese New Year. Compared to the past few years, we are willing to spend more money buying things and eat in restaurants in this holiday.

1. What is the meaning behind "Gong Xi Fa Cai"?

"Gong Xi Fa Cai" is a common Chinese New Year greeting that translates to "wishing you great happiness and prosperity". It is used to wish someone good luck and blessings for the upcoming year.

2. When is Chinese New Year celebrated?

Chinese New Year is based on the lunar calendar and typically falls between late January to mid-February. In 2021, it will be celebrated on February 12th.

3. How long does Chinese New Year last?

Chinese New Year celebrations typically last for 15 days, with the most important celebrations taking place on the first three days. However, some festivities can continue for up to a month.

4. What are some traditional ways to celebrate Chinese New Year?

Some traditional ways to celebrate Chinese New Year include decorating the house with red lanterns and couplets, giving red envelopes with money inside, eating traditional foods like dumplings and fish, and setting off firecrackers.

5. What is the significance of the zodiac animal for the year?

Each year in the Chinese zodiac cycle is represented by one of twelve animals. The animal for the current year is believed to have an influence on people's personalities and fortunes. 2021 is the Year of the Ox, symbolizing hard work, determination, and honesty.