Naturally occurring acid base buffering system in an organism

In summary, the natural acid-base buffering system within us includes proteins, the phosphate buffer, and the bicarbonate buffer system.
aisha
I tried looking for this online, but didn't really find anything can someone help me out I need an example of a naturally- occurring acid-base buffering system in an organism

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a natural acid base buffering system within us. The normal pH of our blood is about 7.40. If our blood falls outside of the 7.35 to 7.45 range we would become seriously ill. Digestion produces a range of products, a lot of them are acidic and despite this addition of H+ ions the blood pH is maintained. This is done through H/CO3 -/H2CO3 buffers in red blood cells and the blood plasma.
HPO4 2-/H2PO4 - are also used as buffers in maintaining constant PH in cells and urine

I think I am having trouble because I have two questions that are quite similar

The first question was
Which macromolecule within the body can act as a buffer?

I wrote the following

The macromolecules within the body that can act as a buffer are proteins. Proteins are effective buffers inside cells and blood. They are the most important buffers in the body. The most active protein buffer within the blood is hemoglobin. It absorbs excess hydrogen ions when it’s not carrying oxygen. Another macromolecule that acts as a buffer is the phosphate buffer. Its concentration is low in the extracellular fluid, however it is an important urinary and cytoplasm buffer. Finally, there is a bicarbonate buffer system within the body that can be found in tissue fluids and blood.

The next question was
Find another example of a naturally-occurring acid-base buffering system that exists within an organism.

I feel like this is the same question is it?:yuck:

1. What is a naturally occurring acid base buffering system in an organism?

A naturally occurring acid base buffering system in an organism is a biological mechanism that helps maintain the pH balance in the body. It involves a combination of weak acids and their conjugate bases that work together to resist changes in pH caused by the production of acids or bases.

2. How does the acid base buffering system work in the body?

The acid base buffering system works by accepting or donating hydrogen ions (H+) to maintain a stable pH. When acids are produced in the body, they can be neutralized by the buffering system, which prevents a drastic change in pH. Similarly, when bases are produced, the buffering system can release hydrogen ions to maintain balance.

3. What are the main components of a naturally occurring acid base buffering system in an organism?

The main components of a naturally occurring acid base buffering system in an organism are weak acids and their conjugate bases. This includes carbonic acid (H2CO3) and bicarbonate ions (HCO3-), as well as proteins like hemoglobin and albumin.

4. How is the acid base buffering system regulated in the body?

The acid base buffering system is regulated by several organs and systems in the body, including the lungs, kidneys, and the endocrine system. The lungs regulate the levels of carbon dioxide (CO2), which affects the production of carbonic acid. The kidneys help maintain the levels of bicarbonate ions, while the endocrine system regulates the production of hormones that affect the pH balance in the body.

5. What happens if the acid base buffering system is not functioning properly?

If the acid base buffering system is not functioning properly, it can lead to an imbalance in pH levels in the body. This can result in acidosis (too much acid in the body) or alkalosis (too much base in the body), which can have serious consequences on various bodily functions and systems. It is important to maintain a healthy acid base buffering system for overall health and well-being.