Fluids mechanics Helium balloon

In summary, fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with their surroundings. This field of physics covers topics such as viscosity, pressure, and buoyancy, and is essential in understanding the movement and behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in hydraulic systems and aerodynamics. A helium balloon, a common example of a gas-filled object, relies on the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically buoyancy, to rise and float in the air. The lighter density of helium gas compared to air allows the balloon to rise, while the surrounding air exerts an upward force on the balloon, keeping it afloat. The study of fluid mechanics continues to be an important area of research and application in many industries
teknodude
A spherical helium balloon is 2.5 m in diameter and has a total mass of 6.7 kg.
When released into the U. S. Standard Atmosphere, at what altitude will it settle?

My first thought was that diagram has the weight of the balloon acting downward, buoyant force upwards.

-weight + Fb = 0

Fb = bouyant force

-mg + (specific weight of air)(h2-h1)A =0

My initial equation was this:

-mg - PA(pressure) + Fb = 0 but i believe this one is wrong.

The answer is 4000 m

Physics news on Phys.org
alright i think i have to solve for the altitude using the Hydrostatic pressure in gases formula.

P = Pa ( 1- B*z/T0)^(g/R&B)

Pa= atm pressure
B= lapse rate 0.00650 K/m
R = 287 (m^2)/(s^2*K)
T0 = 288.16K
z = altitude
Only problem is that i need to find the pressure at that to find the altitude z.

what a weird problem to assign especially for a section on bouyancy. I calculated the density of the balloon and looked it up on the table in my book and got 4000m.

Thanks

1. What is a helium balloon?

A helium balloon is a type of balloon filled with helium gas, which is lighter than air. This causes the balloon to rise and float in the air.

2. How does a helium balloon float?

Helium balloons float due to the principle of buoyancy. Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid, in this case, air. The lighter helium gas inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to rise and float.

3. How long does a helium balloon stay inflated?

The length of time a helium balloon stays inflated depends on several factors, including the quality of the balloon, the amount of helium used, and the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air. On average, a helium balloon will stay inflated for about 8-12 hours.

4. How does the size of a helium balloon affect its flight?

The size of a helium balloon does not significantly affect its flight. The main factor that determines how high a balloon can float is the amount of helium gas inside it. However, larger balloons may require more helium to lift them, so they may not float as high as smaller balloons with the same amount of gas.

5. Can a helium balloon ever pop?

Yes, a helium balloon can pop if it is exposed to extreme temperatures or sharp objects. When the temperature of the surrounding air increases, the helium gas inside the balloon expands, causing it to burst. Similarly, if the balloon comes into contact with a sharp object, it can puncture and deflate.