Need serious help with these enthelpy of neutralisation calculations

In summary, there seems to be confusion about the neutralization enthalpies and the process of neutralization. The ideal value for neutralization enthalpies is 58KJ, but the calculated values for a reaction between 50cm3 of NaOH and 25cm3 of HCl are significantly lower. This trend is observed with nitric acid as well, but for sulphuric acid, the result is closer to the ideal value. The reason for these differences could be due to the hydration interactions of the components with water. It is important to note that neutralization enthalpies are based on the net ionic equation for water, which involves the reaction between H+ and OH- ions.
jackal22
ok i keep reading that ideally they (neutralisation enthalpies) are meant to be around 58KJ

here is my problem:

im reacting 50cm3 of NaOH with 25cm3 of HCl

the HCl is 1 mole NaOH is also 1 mole.

my moles calculation is: (1x25)/1000 which gives me 0.025

the i do :

((mass x specific heat x change in temp)/moles)/1000

i get -25.4 which is no where near 58 ish...

same thing when i use nitric acid instead, i end up with 27.08. However when i use sulphuric acid i get a result of 52.416 (sulphuric acid is 0.5 molar)

so my question is, am i getting something wrong? I am using the mass of the substance needed to neutralise the acid for mass (reading it off a graph) & I am using 4.2 for specific heat

also is there any reason for why some are better at neutralising is it like to do with more H+ ions ?

i would really appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutralization enthalpies are based on the net ionic equation for water

H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) ----> H2O (l)

that's why the enthalpies are fairly the same. The slight differences may pertain to the hydration interactions of the respective components (for instance, Na + and Cl-) with water.

thanks, =)

1. What is enthalpy of neutralization?

The enthalpy of neutralization is the energy released or absorbed when one mole of acid reacts with one mole of base to form one mole of water under standard conditions. It is a measure of the heat change during a neutralization reaction.

2. How do you calculate the enthalpy of neutralization?

The enthalpy of neutralization can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products. This can be determined by using the heat of formation values for each compound involved in the reaction.

3. What are the units for enthalpy of neutralization?

The units for enthalpy of neutralization are typically kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This unit represents the amount of energy released or absorbed per mole of reactant.

4. What factors can affect the enthalpy of neutralization?

The enthalpy of neutralization can be affected by factors such as the strength of the acid and base used, the concentration of the reactants, and the temperature at which the reaction takes place. Changes in any of these factors can alter the enthalpy of neutralization.

5. Why is it important to calculate the enthalpy of neutralization?

Calculating the enthalpy of neutralization is important because it allows us to understand the energy changes that occur during a neutralization reaction. It also helps us to predict the heat released or absorbed during the reaction, which is important in many applications such as in chemical industries and in understanding the thermodynamics of chemical reactions.