Conversion of DVD+R to Dvd-rom?

• Thread starter FrostScYthe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a burned DVD+R not being recognized by a DVD ROM computer. The possibility of using a DVD-R instead is mentioned, as well as checking the type of disc and DVD writer compatibility. Suggestions for fixing the issue include reburning the ISO image, trying a different brand of disc, and using a program to check for ISO file corruption.
FrostScYthe
Hi,

I just burned a DVD+R in my computer. However I want it to be able to play on my Sister's computer which it says to be DVD ROM. I tried opening the recorded DVD in her computer but it just doesn't get recognized. Is there a way to fix this other than buying a new DVD drive?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's possible that a DVD-R (- instead of +) might play in it, since these are more compatable with older DVD rom players.

What did you try to open the disc with? And what did you burn onto the disc?

If you burned a movie and you're trying to open the disc as a DVD video, it might not work if it wasn't authored by the burning program, but you should still be able to see the contents of the disc in explorer.

I opened it with the default windows XP thing. I burned an ISO image onto the disk with Alcohol 120. I can't even see the contents of the disk on my sister's computer.

Then it is probably a bad burn, which can and does happen. Try burning it again.

What brand burner did you use and what brand disc?

Another possibility is that the disc and the dvd writer don't work well together. When dvd burners first came out and for some time afterwards, for whatever reason which is beyond me, certain brands of dvd burners didn't work with certain brands of discs. Even more expensive discs were not exempt from this problem. This might be your problem. If reburning the ISO image doesn't work, I suggest you try a different brand of disc. If that doesn't work, try to burn the ISO with a different program. If that doesn't work, get a program (such as WinISO, or a freeware equivalent) to check the ISO file for corruption (which can be done by simply extracting all the files and see if it completes successfully or errors out. Do this if the ISO reader program doesn't have a built in function to test the ISO image). Your ISO image may have been corrupted while you downloaded it. I've noticed this is especially common when downloading large ISO files from FTP servers or if using a substandard bittorrent downloader.

Ok, well I hope that helps.

-Phil

1. What is the difference between DVD+R and DVD-ROM?

DVD+R and DVD-ROM are two different types of optical discs. DVD+R is a recordable disc that can be written to once, while DVD-ROM is a read-only disc that can only be read and not written to.

2. Can DVD+R discs be converted to DVD-ROM?

Yes, it is possible to convert a DVD+R disc to a DVD-ROM disc. This process is known as finalizing the disc, which makes it compatible with most DVD players and computers.

3. What is the purpose of converting DVD+R to DVD-ROM?

Converting DVD+R to DVD-ROM is useful for creating a permanent copy of a disc that can be played on a wide range of devices. It is also necessary if you want to distribute videos or data to a larger audience.

4. How do you convert DVD+R to DVD-ROM?

The process of converting DVD+R to DVD-ROM involves finalizing the disc using a DVD burning software or a DVD recorder. This process typically involves closing the disc session and making it compatible with DVD-ROM players and computers.

5. Are there any disadvantages to converting DVD+R to DVD-ROM?

One potential disadvantage of converting DVD+R to DVD-ROM is that the disc can no longer be edited or modified. Additionally, some older DVD players may not be compatible with finalized discs, so it is important to check the compatibility of your devices before finalizing the disc.