Question about vacuum and vacuum meter

In summary, vacuum is sometimes measured in a range from 0 to -1 bar because it is measured relatively to normal atmospheric pressure. This is known as gauge pressure. Absolute pressure is gauge pressure minus 1 bar and a measurement of 0 PSIA would indicate a complete vacuum. Terms like underpressure and overpressure refer to pressure levels below or above a given reference pressure, such as atmospheric pressure.
Micko
I wonder why vacuum is sometimes measured in range from 0 to -1 bar. Is it because of it's measured relatively to normal atmospheric pressure?
I guess that normally, vacuum shoud be in range of 0 to 1 bar or something?
Can you help me understaning what terms "underpressure" and "overpressure" really means?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Micko said:
I wonder why vacuum is sometimes measured in range from 0 to -1 bar. Is it because of it's measured relatively to normal atmospheric pressure?

Yes, there is PSIG, or gauge pressure [or vacuum], and PSIA, or absolute pressure. Gauge pressure uses normal atmospheric pressure as zero. Absolute pressure is gauge pressure minus 1 bar. A measure of 0 PSIA [absolute] would be a complete vacuum.

I guess that normally, vacuum shoud be in range of 0 to 1 bar or something?
Can you help me understaning what terms "underpressure" and "overpressure" really means?
Thanks

Since you are starting with a gauge pressure of zero, which means that we are starting with atmospheric pressure [ 1 bar] as zero, anything lower than this would be negative, which is a vacuum.

Underpressure and Overpressure mean just what they say. If you have a system that operates between 1 and 2 bars, and you measure it operating at 3 bars, it would be 1 bar overpressure. If you measured it operating at 0.5 bars, it would be 0.5 bars underpressure.

Yes, you are correct. Vacuum is often measured in the range of 0 to -1 bar because it is measured relative to normal atmospheric pressure. This means that at 0 bar, the pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure, and as the pressure decreases towards -1 bar, the pressure is considered to be in a state of vacuum.

The reason for this is because atmospheric pressure is typically the starting point for measuring pressure in most applications. So when we say something is at 0 bar, it means that the pressure is equal to the surrounding air pressure. As the pressure decreases below that, it is considered to be a vacuum.

As for your question about "underpressure" and "overpressure," these terms refer to when the pressure is below or above the normal atmospheric pressure, respectively. So when something is in a state of vacuum, it is considered to be underpressure, and when the pressure is higher than atmospheric pressure, it is considered to be overpressure.

I hope this helps clarify the terms for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is a space that contains little to no matter, such as air or other gases. It is created when all the air is removed from a specific area, resulting in low atmospheric pressure.

2. How is a vacuum created?

A vacuum can be created by using a vacuum pump to remove air and other gases from a sealed container. This results in a decrease in pressure, creating a vacuum.

3. What is a vacuum meter?

A vacuum meter, also known as a vacuum gauge, is a device used to measure the level of vacuum in a given space. It can be mechanical, electronic, or digital and is typically used in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

4. Why is a vacuum meter important?

A vacuum meter is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately measure and monitor the level of vacuum in a system. This information is crucial for ensuring the success and safety of experiments, as well as the efficiency of industrial processes.

5. What are the different types of vacuum meters?

There are several types of vacuum meters, including mercury, Bourdon tube, diaphragm, thermocouple, and ionization gauges. Each type has its own method of measuring vacuum and is suitable for different applications.