Exploring Mathematica and Maple: Essential Tools for Physics Majors

In summary, third year physics major is having trouble with some of his professors assigning HW's that require programs such as Matlab or Maple. He doesn't know what these programs are, and is unsure if upper-div classes will require them. If so, he recommends getting either the student or professional versions of the programs so that he can be able to do numerical calculations.
proton
I'm a 3rd year physics major and I just transferred to my new school. So far, on a couple of the HW's one of my professors has assigned problems that required programs such as mathematica, or maple, etc. I had no idea about what these programs were for until now. Are upper-div classes going to require these programs as well? If so, which is the best to buy? Or are there better progrmas online that are free?

Physics news on Phys.org
proton why would you buy it?

Your school should have labs that supply remote access so you can access those tools from your home computer by just remote connecting into their lab systems. It'll save you $$$.

Not all my math classes used any of those programs but I'm not a math major. In Calc 1 and 2 I used maple some, but I hear Mat Lab is very powerful if you can program.

Last edited:
Here in sweden, all that software is included on the computers in our computer rooms. I am sure that your university have mathematica, maple, MATLAB etc on their computers too.

Knowing some vector/matrix oriented software for doing numerical calculations are good, like matlab. You can if want to have it at home buy the student version, or check if you can get a student version via your university, much cheaper.

Also knowin some object oriented programming like C++, java is good; easy to learn and opens up to other languages.

Having maple/ mathematica has the advantage that you can get algebraic expressions for derivatives, integrals(if they exists analytically), so it is also very nice to know if you have a lot of tricky equations to manipulate/solve.

So first check if you have those programs via your university, otherwise they cost like 60-80$ each.

Good luck!

which computers would have it? the main library's or the physics learning center? I've never actually used the computers in the physics learning center

proton said:
which computers would have it? the main library's or the physics learning center? I've never actually used the computers in the physics learning center

then you should check it out. I personally like mathematica better. Although maple's syntax is more usually notation alike.

Here we have like 20 computer rooms with approx 20 computers each, all have matlab, mathematica etc on them. But not the computers at the library. So I would check the computers at your physics learning center.

proton said:
which computers would have it?

Um, don't you think it would be better to ask somebody at your school about this? :confused:

1. What is Mathematica and Maple?

Mathematica and Maple are powerful software programs used for mathematical and scientific computations. They are commonly used by physicists and other scientists to solve complex equations and visualize data.

2. How can Mathematica and Maple benefit physics majors?

Mathematica and Maple offer a wide range of tools and functions that can be used to solve mathematical and physical problems, making them valuable tools for physics majors. They can also help with data analysis and visualization, allowing students to better understand complex concepts.

3. Are Mathematica and Maple difficult to learn?

Like any new software, there is a learning curve when first using Mathematica and Maple. However, with practice and patience, physics majors can quickly become proficient in using these programs to solve problems and analyze data.

4. Can Mathematica and Maple be used for other subjects besides physics?

Yes, Mathematica and Maple can be used for a variety of subjects, including mathematics, engineering, and economics. They are versatile tools that can be applied to a wide range of scientific and mathematical problems.

5. Do I need prior programming experience to use Mathematica and Maple?

No, prior programming experience is not necessary to use Mathematica and Maple. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts can make it easier to learn and use these programs effectively.