Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary, it has been revealed that author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease, which was behind a "phantom stroke" he experienced earlier this year. Despite the diagnosis, Pratchett plans to continue working on his current and future projects. He also requests that offers for help only come from experts in brain chemistry. Pratchett has been praised for his bravery in sharing his diagnosis and maintaining a sense of humor. His next book, Unseen Academicals, has already been released.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease, it has been revealed.

In a letter published on the website of artist Paul Kidby, the writer said the condition was behind a "phantom stroke" he had earlier this year.

"I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think.

"I know it's a very human thing to say 'Is there anything I can do?' but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7141458.stm

That's sad news. True literary genius.

Physics news on Phys.org
His statement:
folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :eek:)

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should
be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as
will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.
I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I
would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

Last edited:
This is unfortunate. I've always loved Terry Pratchett's books, especially his Mort and Death characters. There was a book signing at a book store close to me a few months ago. I meant to go but I fell asleep after work and overslept. Now I feel like I did when I heard that Pink Floyd wasn't touring any more.

Hopefully I will get another chance to have a book signed by Terry. It's a mere bauble, but would remind me of a master writer. Ugh, that sounds awful. I should clarify that the reminder is just as valid whether he is live or dead, but you know, time running out and all that.

I hope he has time for many more books, he is a great author.

First, there was Robert Jordan, now this.

siddharth said:
That's sad news. True literary genius.
Yes, sad indeed. I've only read a few of his novels (mostly from the Discworld series), but found them thoroughly entertaining.

Pratchett is still around and still writing. Pratchett on Alzheimer's:
http://www.thebookseller.com/in-depth/trade-profiles/56984-on-embuggerance-and-humour.html
. . .
"The strange thing was, everyone was saying I was so brave. I thought no, if I’d admitted to wearing a French maid’s outfit and dancing around churchyards, that would be brave, and admitting to liking Harry Potter would be suicidal, but saying I’ve got Alzheimer’s—it’s not like you do anything bad to get it, so I can’t quite put my finger on it."

Despite the disease, the subsequent media blizzard, and his appearance at an Alzheimer’s conference (“Personally I’d eat the arse out of a dead mole if it offered a fighting chance,” he memorably said), Pratchett has already started on the next Discworld novel, Unseen Academicals. It satirises the world of football—“Jesus, though, how could you satirise modern football? Talk about a target-rich environment”—in the same manner as Making Money (16th June, p/b, £7.99) took on banking, and The Truth took on journalism.

. . .
Marvelous sense of humor.

Unseen Academicals is out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unseen_Academicals

Last edited by a moderator:
Moridin said:
First, there was Robert Jordan, now this.
And George R. R. Martin is still stuck in his Meerenese knot.

A great writer. It is fortunate that he is giving us a window into his mind, especially, when that mind is threatened with bad news like this.

1. What is Alzheimer's disease?

Alzheimer's disease is a progressive brain disorder that affects memory, thinking, and behavior. It is the most common cause of dementia, a general term for a decline in cognitive function.

2. How does Alzheimer's disease affect Terry Pratchett?

Terry Pratchett, a British author known for his humorous and satirical fantasy novels, has been diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's disease called posterior cortical atrophy. This type of Alzheimer's primarily affects vision and spatial perception, making it difficult for Pratchett to continue writing.

3. Is there a cure for Alzheimer's disease?

Currently, there is no cure for Alzheimer's disease. However, there are medications and therapies that can help manage the symptoms and slow down its progression. Research is ongoing to find a cure for this devastating disease.

4. How has Terry Pratchett's diagnosis affected his writing?

As the disease has progressed, Terry Pratchett has had to adapt his writing process and rely on assistants to help him continue writing. He has also become an advocate for Alzheimer's research and has raised awareness about the disease through his writing and public appearances.

5. How can I support Terry Pratchett and others with Alzheimer's disease?

You can support Terry Pratchett and others with Alzheimer's disease by donating to Alzheimer's research organizations or participating in fundraising events. You can also show your support by being understanding and patient with those affected by the disease and spreading awareness about it.