Calculating Carbon Ratio in Living Systems to Total Carbon on Earth

In summary, the ratio of carbon atoms in living systems to the total carbon atoms on Earth is 22/17 or 0.1.
bjoyful

Homework Statement

The total mass of carbon in living systems is estimated to be 7.7x10^17 g. Given that the total mass of carbon on Earth is estimated to be 7.7x10^22 g, what is the ratio of carbon atoms in living systems to the total carbon atoms on Earth? Report your answer in percent and in ppm. Do not forget to show your calculation work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 * (e^(-5)) = 0.006737947 or 22/17 would give me the percent of 77. I have been going round and round with this question for the last few weeks and now it is due in a couple of days! Also, I want to double check - is total mass of carbon the same as carbon atoms?

Physics news on Phys.org
carbon are carbon atoms and if you know that 7.7x10^22 gr 100% is than you can calculate how mutch % 7.7x10^17 gr is. Why do you use e^-5?

I used e^-5 because that is what the graphing calculator gave as an answer. I am sure about those numbers, but how do I find a ratio or % mathmatically when exponents are used?

The 10^-5 is the answer because 7.7x10^17 / 7.7x10^22 is 10^-5 or 0.00001

To do multiplication/division of numbers with exponents just add/subtract the exponents, that's why we use them - it makes these sort of calculations very easy!
ps. Don't write it as e^-5, the lower case 'e' means something very different in maths, write either x10^-5 or E-5.

Thanks for warning me about the "e"! Why is it a negative 5? Also, if it is 0.00001, then is that considered a %. How do I write it...1/10000%. How do I convert this to ppm? I am trying to understand greek here! Thanks for your help.

10^5 is 10 multiplied by itself 5 times = 10*10*10*10*10 = 100000
10^-5 is 10 divided by itself 5 times = 1 / 10*10*10*10*10 = 1/100000 = 0.00001

This is one part in 100,000 so 0.1 parts in 1,000,000.
A percentage is just the fraction multiplied by 100, so 0.5 = 50%, 0.00001 = 0.001%

e is a Neperiaans logaritmic function so it looks strange to me that it was used. For me 0.001% was the correct answer. If you are not sure about ppm it is part per million

So for this problem, my answer for ppm would be written 0.1ppm. How would I show my work for that? Thanks

thanks mit, i couldn't remember what ppm was short for...

1. How is the carbon ratio in living systems calculated?

The carbon ratio in living systems is calculated by dividing the amount of carbon in living organisms by the total amount of carbon on Earth. This can be done by collecting data on the carbon content of different living organisms and then using this data to estimate the total amount of carbon in living systems.

2. What is the significance of calculating the carbon ratio in living systems?

Calculating the carbon ratio in living systems is important because it allows us to understand the role of carbon in sustaining life on Earth. It can also provide insights into the carbon cycle and how it is affected by human activities such as deforestation and fossil fuel burning.

3. How does the carbon ratio in living systems compare to the total carbon on Earth?

The carbon ratio in living systems is a small fraction of the total carbon on Earth. The majority of carbon on Earth is found in rocks, oceans, and the atmosphere, while only a small portion is found in living organisms. This is because carbon is constantly being cycled between living and non-living systems.

4. Can the carbon ratio in living systems change over time?

Yes, the carbon ratio in living systems can change over time. This can be influenced by factors such as climate change, human activities, and natural processes like volcanic eruptions. Changes in the carbon ratio can have significant impacts on ecosystems and the balance of the carbon cycle.

5. How can we use the carbon ratio in living systems to address climate change?

By understanding the carbon ratio in living systems, we can develop strategies to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change. This can include promoting sustainable practices, reducing deforestation, and transitioning to renewable energy sources to decrease our impact on the carbon cycle.